What do you look for in a Review?

XRAYDAVE

I like to read reviews that people have submitted, but there are things that I have found that I gain from reviews and others that I disregard.

Such as:

1. I like to get information about excursions, which I find helpful.

2. It helps me know what CD's may be on a ship that I have booked.

3. They provide some good information about little things about the ship.

4. I like to read about people's opinions about the different ports of call.

5. I also like to read about the small things that make a cruise special for that party.

I disregard:

1. People's evaluation of the food. I find food to be totally objective.

2. I pretty much disregard people's problems with crew members on the ship. I find some people are impossible to please at any cost.

3. I do not pay much attention to the opinions about the entertainment. This is also highly subjective in my opinion.

I would be interested to find out what are some things that you use a review to help you determine?

David

I like hearing about what made that person happy on the cruise, whether it be the food, the steward, the nightclub act or the coolest little shop they found in port.

I also find myself looking for that telltale "voice" that says the author wasn't planning on being happy and will never find anything up to their high standards.

I actually like to hear what the OP discounts and don't much care for the excursion details unless it's the exact ship and itinerary i'm sailing on later.

1. I want to hear food reports, all of 'em. I want to know how many different offerings are given on any particular night. What dish is not to be missed. Don't forget to discuss the desserts and pictures are the icing on the cake!
  2. I want to hear about the ship. What common areas look like, how is the upkeep, is the ship layout confusing? What activities did you participate in?
  3. I want to know about your cabin, would you book that room again? Were your room stewards prompt, leave you towel animals, turn down service, special requests, etc.?
  4. Entertainment, shows, movies, what about the gym facilities or classes?
  5. Activities for kids and teens?
  6. Tell me about your cruisemates, anything weird or extremely funny about any of the other passengers.

I like to learn about the ship, not peoples opinions. Find out about happenings on the ship, port of calls, and to hear someone say the ship is so lovely and personal. Cruise in 12 days and absorbing all I can in the mean time.

Being we have only cruised once before... I value everyones opinion. We have booked a 5 day cruise in 5 months. We ONLY have 5 days. I want to do and get everything I possibly can. I do not want to come home and look on CC and say 'well darn, IF I"D ONLY read what so and so said about such and such I could have avoided the horrible situation.' Or on the flip side... Seeing how some enjoying a certain thing I can mark it as something not to miss.

Such as: I don't want to miss the Pumpkin Soup,Prime Rib, Goat cheese Pizza, BBC, Miami Vice, Kiss on the Lips, Bringing a light jacket for cool nights, Going to Playa Uvas in Cozumel, Doing the Clear Kayak tour, etc..... the list goes on and on.

They are all opinions and I have to view the whole fish ,eat the meat and spit out the bones to get to what the majority agrees on.

i like to read about

1. the games/contests shows and fun activities on the ship

2. port of call activities

3. the special amenities and features of the specific ship

4. how people chose to spend their days

5. the food

6. funny or even bothersome unique experiences with other passengers.

I agree that opinions regarding food and entertainment are subjective. After reading numerous posts from individual posters, depending on how they answer questions posed by other cruisers, especially "newbies", I get a feel for whether or not I would trust their "opinon".

That being said, I like to know specifics -

- what time you got to the dock and how long it took to actually get onto the ship.

- names of entertainers (bands on the Lido Deck, in the lounges, etc)

- what excursions were taken on the islands, and would you do them again.

- location of table in dining room. Was it good? Why or why not?

Those would be a good start for me.

I don't want to miss the Pumpkin Soup,Prime Rib, Goat cheese Pizza
You have to try the mushroom soup! OMG! But, I suppose this means I have to try the pumpkin soup :p

1. I love tips on making embarkation/debarkation easier

2. I love money saving tips!

3. I love information about what people brought or wish they had brought to make the trip more enjoyable!

4. I love reading reviews that are detailed and descriptive and can almost take you on that cruise in your minds eye! Thank you, thank you, thank you to those that can do that!

What I disregaurd..........a review that is completely negative. I just don't think it is possible to have EVERYTHING go wrong on a cruise.

I love reading reviews on the same ship and itinerary I have coming up.

I like it when the review starts with a little background info (like: we're a family of four with kids age xx and xx and this was our third cruise, etc.). I want to know what time the reviewer got to the port and how long it took to get on board. I want to know about the overall experience and how the service was.

I enjoy the food reviews--I've tried some things that people have said were not to be missed--some are really good, and others not so much. But, it's fun to try them. I also like to hear about the specialty restaurant.

If the reviewer has a child near the age of my DD, I like to hear their review of Camp Carnival.

What I enjoy the most are the reviews of the ports and excursions and details about disembarkation at ports--how long did it take to get off the ship, etc.

What I don't care about:

• Where you stayed before the cruise (unless there's something that made the whole thing a better experience than if you'd stayed somewhere else)
  • The name of your wait staff or steward, and I especially don't want instructions to say "hi" to them from the Suzy Smith in Ohio! :p
  • The hairy chest contests and such--those are just scary! :D

Like others, I give no credence to a review that is totally negative, but that doesn't mean I want a review that's nothing but positive either. I do want to hear about any problems the reviewer had and how they were resolved.

Cheers!

Jayne

I like to read about the cruise. I don't really care about the hotel the night before or the plane ride down. I like the opinions of the ship it's self, the ports and what people did to have a good time. Like the OP said, food is objective and so are the shows.

I look for tips and advice in ship reviews. I like to be really organized before I go on vacation. I research everything. Even though food and entertainment are subjective, I like to hear other peoples' opinions.

I like to read reviews that are broken down, and not just one long paragraph. It makes it so much easier to read!!

I definitely agree to Avarah when it comes to the "voice" or the "tone" of the review. I can tell from the first few sentences whether the reviewer was trying to be positive or negative. There are some people in this world that are just always miserable and are never going to be completely pleased. I totally disregard any review that starts with a rant. Working in marketing and public relations, you quickly learn that a consumer is much more likely to leave negative feedback than positive feedback. Individuals who have a negative experience are usually much more likely to share their opinion.

That being said, I really like reading about cabins and common areas. I also enjoy reading about the ship's nuances...small details that may often be overlooked.

I usually completely skip over the food reviews. I eat absolutely anything and everything put in front of me, so I'm one of the rare few that couldn't care less.

Details...that way I can determine if it applies to me.

For instance, if someone gives generalizations about the food...I ignore them.

Now if they say the New York Strip will probably be tough and dry if you eat it well done (which I do and they have been on all but one of our 16 Carnival cruises)...then I pay attention. Even if it is a complaint, as long as it is specific...I will read what they have to say.

If someone doesn't like the piano player because he isn't a lid slammer...that is fine. I happen to like those players who are not lid slammers.

DETAILS!!!

Archived