Anyone's kids done the talent show - lots of ???'s

I'm trying to get some info for the talent show for the kids on the Voyager (I'm assuming all Voyager class ships would be similar).

Is there any age limit? My oldest will be 12 - is this just for the little kids or for the teens too?

Can they do an act as a group? My 3 would like to do a trio together - piano, flute & trumpet.

Is the piano provided?

How serious is this? They're doing a patriotic song so I'm thinking red/white/blue Old Navy t-shirts. Do they need costumes, etc.?

Can they do more than one thing? Ie, if my son does this with his brothers, could he also do a magic act? Does it just depend on how many kids are on board? We're going mid September so I doubt there will be a ton of kids.

I'd appreciate any input from anyone who's done or seen this!

Thanks so much!

I believe it is for 18 years and up.This is an adult venue as it quite late at night.
Many wondeful talented people have I seen at these shows over time.

I am not sure if there is a talent show for kids?

Hi there. My daughter has done the kids talent show on every trip. Some take it very seriously, bringing costumes, etc. while others don't. The counselors try to encourage all the kids to do something (sing, dance, tell jokes) because every child that participates gets a medal. More people have come to watch the kid talent show than the adult one they sometimes have.
Personally, I think the matching shirts would be a good idea.
Yes, a piano is provided but it will probably be an electric keyboard type.
I don't know about the teens. We haven't seen any before, but that may be because they were embarassed to do something. Maybe have something prepared in case they can participate.
It wouldn't matter if they did a group number, then one of them did their own performance, but they would probably only get one medal.
It is a lot of fun for the kids, and a lot of fun to watch!
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

garnetjanet - my kids really wouldn't care about the medal - they'd just want to show off! I'm feeling my 12 year old might not want to do something himself, but would be okay in a group with his brothers. Especially if he ends up in their group anyway (9-11). I haven't heard much good about the 12-14 group and I'm really afraid at that time of year there just won't be enough kids for them to even bother having the activities. If he goes to the younger group with his brothers (9 and 11), at least there would be 3 kids there at any time. He's not much past 12 and isn't very outgoing so might be more comfortable with them anyways!

I also got them (at Sears a couple days ago for $5) American flag type bathing suits. Thought they could wear those with the shirts. They just plan on doing "America the Beautiful".

I'll have my youngest try playing on his keyboard instead of the piano for practice to make sure he has all the keys he needs. It's an actual accompaniment and those sometimes go low down on the keyboard. As long as he knows what to leave out, he should be okay!

Thanks everyone for the help - guess I'll pack the magic tricks in addition to the pocket trumpet, flute, and music!

We did the Voyager 4 years ago with our granddaughters who were 12 at the time. They were part of the youth activities (Adventure Ocean) and they had a talent show in which they participated. It was in one of the lounges and as I recall only family members were present. I don't think it was listed in the Compass.
tonyt

The talent show is usually on the morning or afternoon of the last sea day. It is listed in your child's compass. The counselors do try to get as many children as possible to participate. I think that the majority of the participants were in the 11 and under age groups (Aquanauts, Explorers and Voyagers). Your boys would be well-appreciated and not out of place in their outfits. It is mainly a showcase to have fun and show off, not a competition. We have seen families and other folks present at the shows.

Archived