Acapulco to Taxco - Private tour/driver?

Cruiser Nonna

Sailing on the Golden next month and stopping in Acapulco - have been many times and would really like to go to Taxco - but only want to go there - ship tour makes several other stops.

Has anyone does this on their own - or a private tour/driver - any information and your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you as always for the help!

Sailing on the Golden next month and stopping in Acapulco - have been many times and would really like to go to Taxco - but only want to go there - ship tour makes several other stops.

Has anyone does this on their own - or a private tour/driver - any information and your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you as always for the help!

I would strongly advise you take this excursion through the ship. Taxco is several hours away from Acapulco (I believe two hours each way) and the highway is notorious for mechanical breakdowns and crashes. Therefore if you are delayed coming back from the excursion due to a traffic congestion, you may end up missing the ship.

Although I have never been to Taxco, I have seen pictures and heard that it is beautiful.

This is a long day-trip, because travel time is likely to be in the range of 6 hours, round-trip. If you have the time to make the trip you can (obviously) do it as an excursion offered through the ship, or on your own with one of the private drivers who has been recommended here before.

The highway for most of the trip is excellent - one of the best in Mexico and one not known to be dangerous or prone to have accidents (in comparison to other highways in Mexico) - from what I know of as someone who's traveled that highway dozens of times since it opened in the early-1990's. The highway is referred to as the "Autopista del Sol." The non-superhighway portion is on a good road, too - but traffic can move slowly.

Plan on a trip of about 9 hours in total.

Archived