Your help with a dilemma

Mikel1733

We have tentatively convinced my SIL who got very seasick on his wedding cruise to give it one more try. I've been searching for a 4 day Carnival cruise that would have minimal days at sea and more shore time. To compound problems the time we can all go is the Sept thru Dec. so hurricane season comes into play. I originally thought a Bahamas cruise but Nassau and Freeport aren't overly exciting......nor is a small ship. Then I thought 4 day Baja out of San Diego or LA. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your input.

My 4 night cruise last year was solid. It was aboard the Fascination, which has recently been refurbished. It stopped in Key West and Cozumel and had one day at sea. The staff was excellent. The Fascination is not a large ship by today's standards but it was a great cruise. Good ports of call and great ship all around.

Just off the Fascination 3 night Nassau cruise! Honestly, I really liked having all that time in Nassau - didn't feel rushed, we went on and off the ship several times. Only one sea day, and it's very slow speed so not a lot of motion. I'd do it again in a heartbeat;)

I did a 4 day on Inspiration, sister to above, out of Tampa. It went to Cozumel. Nice trip and Tampa has less hurricane problems than other side. Also, 1st ntwo weeks in December is a great fare time and is after hurricane season.

The least sea days would be Fasination or Sensation. Best time/price would be first two weeks in December.

Hope this helps you some.

My best advice is to avoid sailing out of Miami and cutting across to the Bahamas. The gulf of Florida is notoriously rough most any time of year and I am one who really feels the motion and gets sick. Sailing out of Tampa or NO would be much better choices IMHO.

There is another option that may not be close to what you want....but that is Alaska.

The 2 things you don't have to worry about on this 7 day cruise is hurricanes and waves...since most of it is done in the inside passage. They do still sail in September.

Just a thought....

I vote for Fascination too, but definitely stay on a mid-level deck. We were in a Verandah suite (almost at the top) and it was very rocky on the afternoon we left Key West. I went down to the promenade deck to relax a bit because it was too rocky in my room (the margaritas from earlier in the day didn't help either). A big difference going down a few decks.

I wouldn't do the Baja cruise if he get seasick easily. I do too, but with Bonine I'm fine. While we all liked the Baja cruise I did notice a lot more motion and it felt much "rockier". I've cruised out of Tampa 3 times now and have found cruising through the Gulf of Mexico the smoothest out of all my cruises (except when Hurricane Katrina came through).

Let him get a transderm patch prescription from his doctor. My husband gets seasick and we are going on our 7th cruise this May. Our first was in November and there was a tropical storm south of Florida so we were rerouted but the seas were high. One patch lasts 3 or 4 days. It works much better than all the other remedies. He's tried them all.

Then I thought 4 day Baja out of San Diego or LA. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your input.

Not sure where you are from but a 4, 5, 6 day cruise out of San Diego on the Elation will be great. She will be here June, July time frame.

Fred

We have tentatively convinced my SIL who got very seasick on his wedding cruise to give it one more try. I've been searching for a 4 day Carnival cruise that would have minimal days at sea and more shore time. To compound problems the time we can all go is the Sept thru Dec. so hurricane season comes into play. I originally thought a Bahamas cruise but Nassau and Freeport aren't overly exciting......nor is a small ship. Then I thought 4 day Baja out of San Diego or LA. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your input.

i think the weather will always be hit or miss -- hurricane season or not. i've cruised in nov and had a smooth cruise, and in feb and june and had rough cruises. there doesn't have to be a storm for it to be rough (or smooth). it can be sunny and rough -- it all depends on which way the wind's blowing at that time, and how strong it's blowin'.

i think he'll get through it fine w/ the patch, some dramamine, and maybe even the shot. i even think i remember them saying meds were available on board for free, when it got rough during our recent elation cruise. the main thing is that he's going. i'm sure he'll have a great time. but, like you said, for the first time, it's probably best to limit the amt of sea days, so he can test the waters.:p

The 4 day Baja out of L.A. is not rough. The only fairly rocky part is the channel out of/into L.A. in the winter. Sailing out of San Diego is very nice and never had problems there. I agree with the higher decks. If the seas are rough, you will feel it more on the upper decks. Suggest you choose a lower deck, midship. We always do as we like our sleep! On last Carnival, we were upgraded to a balcony and we knew the channel would be rocky on our December Mexico cruise. How can you complain about a balcony though? LOL!

Prices are excellent first two weeks in November/December due to the upcoming holidays. Definitely have SIL get the patch and you can always get seasick meds for free on board. Better to plan ahead and use them before you sail! Good luck!

Thanks for your responses........:) All of your suggestions sound good to me, we'll try and pick the best one for him. Hopefully he'll have a better time this time. He had an inner ear problem the first time, but its like eating some food them getting sick.....you don't want to eat that food again....lol. Thanks everyone.

Mike

Archived