No need to Pre-book Stingray Sandbar

rogerashley

I have read many posts here about Captain Marvin, Bryan, Nativeway, etc. about how good they are and pre-booking the space prior to visiting Caymans.

Well.. no need to worry there fellow cruisers. I was just there on Mar. 22nd and let me tell you that there will be many independent operators when you exit the tender dock and you don't need to make a reservation.

I didn't wanted the hassle of pre-booking, giving away my credit card info. and tendering to meet the preset meeting time so I had my breakfast and got off the boat around 8:50AM.

Just as I got off the boat, there were independent tour operators holding up signs and I spoke to a lady who had "Dockside Tour / Stingray City" sign. She said 3 hours of stingray city and snorkeling at coral garden was $40 per adult and my 8 year old daughter for free and their air conditioned bus was leaving in 5 minutes so I signed up and got on the bus. (Note that I paid $3 more per adult but saved $28 for the child... and I think you can negotiate with them for a deal)

After 10 minutes or so of driving up the 7 mile beach, the bus took a left turn and went to a small dock area where a nice 50 ft boat was waiting for us. I forget the name of the captain but him and his 2 crews (name of the boat is Waymaker) took us out to the stingray sandbar (about 30 min. ride). Stingray sandbar is a once in a lifetime experience so you should seriously consider doing it. Anyhow, we were there for 45 minutes. (There are very big stingrays, appx. 4-5ft across, which can be quite scary at times) Sandbar is quite shallow and my 8 year old was able to stand on her feet.

After that captain took us to Coral Garden (5 minute ride) and we snorkeled there for a while (snokeling gear, fins, vest, fruit punch, fresh water included) It is quite deep there 7-10ft but with the vest on, it's not so scary for those who cannot swim well. Water visibility is quite excellent and you will see many fish as well as several stingrays hanging around.

The captain went into the water and brought up a big conch which he chopped up and cooked it in lime juice to prepare a delicious snack for everyone. On our way back, he slowed down the boat so that we can look at large iguanas hanging around the gardens and trees.

After the tour, they dropped us off for free at the Seven mile beach (in front of Marriott) where lots of people hang out.

So... now you know you don't need to buy into this pre-booking and credit card reservation stuff if you are doing the stingray city / snorkeling tour. By the way, there were other people with various other excursion signs so feel free to get off the dock and sign up as you please.

We have never pre booked any excursion online, we find even better deals will be found after you arrive on shore and have never seen a shortage of private operators.

I guess some people just feel better knowing they have a standing reservation, just like some people feel safer only booking the ships excursions.

Glad you had a great time:)

We have never pre booked any excursion online, we find even better deals will be found after you arrive on shore and have never seen a shortage of private operators.

I guess some people just feel better knowing they have a standing reservation, just like some people feel safer only booking the ships excursions.

Glad you had a great time:)

Yeah if it was just me and DW, I might try that, but when we had 9 of us there on March 21, we didn't want to take any chances of not having enough room to all go together.

Nativeway was $35 pp ($25 pp for children) and they max out at 30 ppl for the Stingray Sandbar and Coral Garden's snorkel excursion.

I agree, there were quite a number of independents just itching to get you signed up...I should have asked "How much for 9 of us?" just to get an idea of the capacity and cost...

GP

Yeah if it was just me and DW, I might try that, but when we had 9 of us

I agree, there were quite a number of independents just itching to get you signed up...I should have asked "How much for 9 of us?" just to get an idea of the capacity and cost...

GP

There were 11 of us, we waited until we got to shore, we payed $25pp and had no problem getting an excursion together. The boat we took also held 30pp.

There were 11 of us, we waited until we got to shore, we payed $25pp and had no problem getting an excursion together. The boat we took also held 30pp.

Hey! That's $60 I could have spent somewhere else...:(

Oh well...No problem, Mon...:cool:

I'll have to remember that for next time.

GP

i did prebook for our cruise in april with Moby Dick, they didnt need your cc info in advance....all i had to do was shoot them an email for the date..and will pay in cash when i arrive. I too didnt want to give my CC number in advance, so that was one reason i booked with moby dick, Also i like the peace of mind of knowing the reputation of the tour company before i leave with them.

I wrote this thread to let people know that there are alternatives to pre-booking excursion. Before I went to Cayman, I read posts here on this board and I thought I had to pre-book excursion with the Cruise or certain tour operators to visit Stingray city. I felt uncomfortable without pre-booking as many posters swore by certain tour operators. Now I know that that is not the case and I want to assure those other people cruising without reservation.

Those who prefer to pre-book excursion with well known tour operator should have your own thread. This thread was not inteded for you as I know many people just want some assurance that they can do stingray city without having to decide on pre-booking with some of the operators commented by other reviewers. So don't post any specific tour operators' names whom you have booked before as this goes against the intention of this thread.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
i did prebook for our cruise in april with Moby Dick, they didnt need your cc info in advance....all i had to do was shoot them an email for the date..and will pay in cash when i arrive. I too didnt want to give my CC number in advance, so that was one reason i booked with moby dick, Also i like the peace of mind of knowing the reputation of the tour company before i leave with them.

Never had to give up CC info. It's mostly a cash business anyway.

Archived