Just got back from Chankanaab Park

rogerashley

We were at Cozumel on March 1st, 2007.

We rented a Jeep ($50 for all day and it was a VERY nice Jeep - looked brand new) and made our way to CP.

Snorkeling was great. Fish were plentiful - especially when I pulled out the cheez whiz.

Was the jeep automatic or standard transmission? Where did you rent it from? We are considering renting a vehicle. Also are you talking about Cheez whiz in the can or cheez whiz crackers??? We might try that trick.:)

The Jeep we rented had a manual transmission. I didn't ask for manual or auto - just took what they gave me because it really didn't matter to me. So I can't say for sure if any of the Jeeps had auto transmission but I do konw they had cars that did offer auto transmissions.

We docked at the International Pier - this is the southmost pier at Cozumel for cruise ships (RCI cruiseship by the way). As soon as you walk off of the pier there will be several people offering rental vehichles. I can not remember the name of the company that I used but I imagine most of the vendors have about the same price/package to offer.

The man I rented one from had a notebook with pictures of the vehicles for rent. When he showed me the picture of the Jeep and said it was only $50 for the day I asked if the Jeep looked just like the one in the picture (because it looked brand new). He said just like it and he was telling the truth - it was nice.

We drove to CP, uptown, and back to the Pier and only used 1-1/2 gallons (6 liters) of gas. If you only drove to CP and back to International Pier you wouldn't even have to fill the Jeep back up. If you plan on driving up to the downtown area (or if you drive to CP from a different Pier) you will need to fill it back up before returning the vehichle. From what I hear, there are only 2 gas stations nearby the piers. The one we used is on the south side about 1/2 mile south of the International pier on the way to CP.

Cheez whiz? Yep, the spread itself. If you squirt it...they will come!

cruisin4funtoo - I agree, the little swim area didn't appear very nice due to the dark coloring in the middle. Nonetheless, kids were still swimiming in it.

The pool might surprise you. It is rather large. We were in the pool just after lunch - really when the place was at its peak with people. As you can see in the pictures, there are very few people in the pool (mostly younger kids in the pool and a few sun bathers around it). Keep in mind too, there were 6 ships in port that day!

Compared to the pool on a cruise ship and the pool at Costa Mays, the CP pool was the nicest by far.

Thanks for the pictures: a great way to see what CP is really like. The

swimming area doesn't look too inviting though, looks like the pool would be the better option. I would guess the pool area gets pretty crowded though!

You wont find any real great beach swimming (soft sandy beaches) until you go a little further south of the park. Most of the ones from the park north are better for snorkeling and such.

All over the island of Cozumel you will find large signs with National Park regulations. The National Park includes most of the west coast, all of the south coast and the southern half of the east coast. This certainly includes Chankanaab.

On these very large signs, it has been made clear that feeding the fish is against park regulations. There's a reason for this. Cozumel is home to one of the most beautiful reef systems in the world. Most people who currently live on this planet will not see it. How fortunate that you have the opportunity to do so! How unfortunate that in doing so you put at risk the ability for future generations to see this natural wonder.

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE FISH! Not tortillas, not bread, not frozen peas, and certainly not cheese whiz. What are you thinking? Do you think cheese whiz is good for fish? Also, please do not encourage others to feed the fish. Put aside the fact that it is against regulations, and keep in mind that this delicate underwater ecosystem is not a playground, it is a living organism. It has its own rhythms and cycles. By feeding the fish you disrupt the cycle and DO HARM! Cheese whiz?!?

I understand that locals and park guides are breaking these rules, but that doesn't mean it's okay to do so. Please remind these guides that they are violating National Park Regulations. Point out that you are raising your children to follow rules, not ignore them, so to please be a better example.

Wouldn't it be great if you could bring your granchildren to Cozumel some day and show them the fish?

• 3 weeks later...

[As far as the excellent snorkeling, did you go from the shore or pay for an excursion?

And can you rent just vest and fins? we will be bringing our own masks and snorkels.

I was thinking about taking some "snacks" for the fish, but after reading Cruisntigger's reply.....Is it bad to feed the fish?

I went right from the shore and yes you can rent just fins & vest. Have a blast, its beautiful there and not crowded:D

Hi,

We visited the park on April 18th. It was an easy $10 cab ride from the pier and $16 per person to enter (We paid $14 pp because we brought along a coupon we printed right from their website for $2 off pp).

Lots of loungers and shadey spots. Even when the park started filling up it never felt crowded. Waiters were always available for drink or food orders but were never pushy.

Snorkeling was pretty good. We did see many people feeding the fish. You could always tell, because tons of fish would just swarm whoever had the food. It was good watching, but I can't imagine that this good for the fish.

Enjoy!!!

Wow...great photos. I did not realize that Chank now had a lovely pool! We were there in March 2003 and it appears there are several new areas such as the pool, walkways, etc. I know that it was severely damaged from the hurricane but appears that the upgrades are fabulous. Will assuredly consider Chank our next cruise to Cozumel. In our opinion, the snorkeling is the best we have ever experienced. We love the tiki huts! Are there still the curved plastic chairs or something newer? Also, did not know about the water, beer, etc., near the ticket booth outside of the park. I didn't remember there was a shop there that sold drinks.

Can anybody tell me how the water felt? Cool or warm?

We go in June....and are planning on CB park for our group of 11, but the inlaws do not enjoy cold water....so opinions appreciated.

Thanks for the Great Photos by the way, makes me more excited now, as I was worried and ready to switch to Nachi Cocum instead.

Was the jeep automatic or standard transmission? Where did you rent it from? We are considering renting a vehicle. Also are you talking about Cheez whiz in the can or cheez whiz crackers??? We might try that trick.:)

We rented our jeep from avis on line in advance and it was a piece of junk. We laughed all day at all the brand new nice ones from no name companies. So you never know. I thought we were playing it safe. The jeep did drive and was a little cheaper,$40. Be careful with the traffic laws, my hubby almost got arrested for driving wrong way. And the police did not speak one word of English and hubby speaks no Spanish. Thank heavens I know a little.

Can anybody tell me how the water felt? Cool or warm?

We go in June....and are planning on CB park for our group of 11, but the inlaws do not enjoy cold water....so opinions appreciated.

We were there in February and the water was very comfortable (I hate swimming in cold water too). I'm sure it will be even warmer in June.

We arrived pretty early (went there as soon as we got off the ship); wasn't too crowded, but it did get busier in the afternoon (especially at the pool and the beach).

If you're just going for the beach, I'd go somewhere else. But if you're going for the dolphin swim (that's what we did), it was a great place to spend a good part of the day.

As someone else pointed out, buy your underwater camera at home. We ran out and had to buy one there (way over-priced).

There are a few photos in my Navigator album below.

When I went to the dolphin discovery website it says the last royal swim is at 2pm. The ship docks at 1, I wanted to know if I would have ample time to make it to a 2:00 royal swim. It seems that, that is the last time it is being offered for the day.

Archived