Capt Zodiac/Fairwinds or Seaquest?

cruisin24

I am really anxious to book one of these excursions in Kona to Captain Cooks monument. One nagging issue.............

I have a slightly bumb knee,a bit overweight and only about 5'3" (how depressing)...having said that..will it be difficult for me to use the short? ladder on the Capt.Zodiac to get back on the raft because I am vertically challenged? :(

Is the only excursion booked directly through NCL with Capt Zodiac? I would prefer to do it on my own but by the time you pick up a rental car and get to the meeting spot...I am sure that wouldn't work. Besides it might be a nice change to have this be the one port that I don't have to worry about a rental and give my DH a break with driving.

Do all 3 of these tours go to the same spots? I definitely want to do the snorkel at the monument and the lava tubes.

I think they could get anyone up on that ladder regardless of their condition. They can haul you up bodily if necessary, no worries.

The real issue is the up and down slamming of the boat when it moves fast over swells. People with back problems shouldn't go, and the squeamish should sit towards the back where it is much less rough. You do need to use a bit of leg muscles to keep your position up on the side as it moves. These boats all go to the same places, both zodiacs would get a closer look at the tubes and shoreline though. Captain Zodiac and afternoon seaquest are almost the same thing.. fairwinds is a much smoother ride suitable for anyone.

We did Capt. Z last week with my 80 yr old Mom and Dad. Both enjoyed the boat ride, only Mom snorkled. No problems with the entry and exit for her.

It was a very good tour - best of the trip according to my teens. It was the only one we booked thru NCL, but decided it was worth it because of the tender issues. I don't think you can make the fairwinds morning tour due to the timing.

Highly recommend Capt. Z.

Hi there,

Will be on POH next week with wife, 13 year old girl and 7 year old boy. Wife thinks Captain Zodiac is a bit too much for 7 year old (and maybe for herself too in too bumpy). All are good swimmers. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Will boat slow down if the kids get frightened?

Thanks.

Bill

:eek:I am almost speechless...................all I can say is WOW!!!

I would love to meet your parents in person.....................they must be amazing people to be so active at 80. Holy cow, I'm just so impressed. My parents are in their 60's and very active, but even they were too skeptical to take on the Captain Z. tour when we go this June. Give your parents a high five for me (well, since they are cool enough to be snorkeling at 80.....they're cool enough for high fives:p:p:p).

Glad to hear you all had a great time on the tour. I think my teens will love that excursion the best out of everything we do!

I think Seaquest goes to Pawai Bay rather than Kealakekua Bay, doesn't it? If you want K-Bay, you might want to check on that.

Edited: Never mind...I'm pretty sure it's Body Glove that goes to Pawai Bay, but Seaquest goes to K-Bay.

beachchick

My husband is 63 and had back surgery in October and I am 51 and only 5 feet tall.....we both LOVED the Captain Zodiac tour that we took in January.

(I only wish I had better pictures of all the dolphins that followed us!!)

We took this tour last week. The snorkeling is great and they don't rush you so you can enjoy your time in the water. My sister-in-law (who I dearly love, so I know she won't get mad at me for saying this) is 65, only 5' and is too heavy. She got in and out without any problems. I think the raft ride is a little overrated. Regardless of where you sit, at some point you will be holding on to the rope to keep you from losing your seat. The guides are alot of fun. Capt Mike had us laughing all the way. Not sure how much he told us was fact and how much was BS. We did get to see a baby whale and momma from a distance. Momma rewarded us with a dive with the whale tail out of the water. It was pretty cool. I think the whales are pretty much gone for the season.

Archived