Negril????

PAF78250

My husband and I will be going on the Conquest in April and are trying to find something to do in Montego Bay. Whenever we hear all the negatives about a particular island, we tend to stick with a ships tour. We are no longer able to do snorkling and more strenous tours because of my husband's health, but would like to see some of Montego Bay. Definitely do not want to stay on the ship. We were looking at Carnivals "Negril" tour - seems to have a little bit of everything - see some of the island, Margaritaville and the beach. Has anyone done this tour and what are your opinions????

Paf, as someone who lives in Negril, I'm a bit confused as to what the ship's tour is saying...Negril and Montego Bay are two totally different places. Montego Bay is on the north coast and is the island's second largest city...Negril is on the west coast and is an eclectic, mid-sized 'small town' - a perfect spot for people who love water and people. We're only an hour and a half apart, but if you want to see Montego Bay and city life (as such...no ship tour is going to take you anywhere other than the main tourist attractions which eliminates 90% of the city) then you won't be doing a "Negril Tour".

If you're doing a "Negril Tour" but want to see MoBay too, then you'd want to arrange a private tour where you arrange it with your driver/guide to take in the spots you want to see...your interests, your schedule, not the tour companies canned program.

If you do come to Negril, and all you see is Margaritaville and the beach in front of that property, that's a shame...you might as well stay in Montego Bay and do that...same property is there, same overpriced food and drinks, beach is just next door.

Doing a ship's tour may work out cheaper for the two of you as you will be traveling on a huge motor coach with lots of other people. A customized tour with just the two of you (or friends you meet on the boat?) in a private vehicle for just you, with personalized attention throughout the day may (or may not, depending on numbers) cost more, but the day is tailored to you specifically.

If you'd like to know more about Negril or options for you if you do come, please feel free to write anytime...would love to see you get the most out of a visit to our town...and maybe have a chance to prove that all the 'negatives' you've heard are unfounded. As a transplanted ex-Californian, I've lived here nine years now, consider Jamaica my adopted home, and it hurts to know the negative perceptions are still overruling the positives.

~Sienna~ (s_kerr@anbell.net)

Paf, as someone who lives in Negril, I'm a bit confused as to what the ship's tour is saying...

Sienna,

This is how Royal Caribbean describes its "Negril Splendor" Shore Excursion for its ships stopping at Montego Bay...it's $69 per person, 6 hours in length...

>>You will begin with a leisurely ride through the South Western side of Jamaica with views of the coast. Your first stop is at the Royal Palm Reserve, a forest located within the Negril Great Morass. You can take a guided walk along the boardwalk and see wildlife in its natural habitat. You will then be taken to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, where you will have a few hours to enjoy the beach and also the buffet lunch. Your tour will end with the 90 minute drive back to Montego Bay and your vessel.<<

It sounds like one-half of the six hours' time is riding in a bus FROM Montego Bay TO Negril and back again...It sounds as if you make a brief stop at the Royal Palm Reserve (has to be brief because they also say you spend "a few hours" at Margaritaville!), then go to Margaritaville...

We considered this briefly...very briefly...thought 90 minutes each way on a BUS? To visit a restaurant? No way...

We've opted to do the "Jungle River Tubing" instead...

Archived