Underwater Camera Housing Help!

kel3120

I was set on buying Canon's underwater housing for my camera (I recently purchased the Powershot SD800). I finally talked my fiance into letting me order it, but now it is out of stock everywhere! I am so upset and we are leaving on April 18 for our desitation wedding/honeymoon.

My first question is if anyone knows of a dive shop that may sell canon's underwater cases. I feel like I have called so many places that I found on the internet, but if anyone knows of something local that may not have a webpage, I would really like to try-- I'm getting desperate!

My next question is if I cannot get one of these housings before I leave, is there anything similar that would work okay? I really don't like the thought of putting my $350 camera in a bag that only costs $30. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I was set on buying Canon's underwater housing for my camera (I recently purchased the Powershot SD800). I finally talked my fiance into letting me order it, but now it is out of stock everywhere! I am so upset and we are leaving on April 18 for our desitation wedding/honeymoon.

My first question is if anyone knows of a dive shop that may sell canon's underwater cases. I feel like I have called so many places that I found on the internet, but if anyone knows of something local that may not have a webpage, I would really like to try-- I'm getting desperate!

My next question is if I cannot get one of these housings before I leave, is there anything similar that would work okay? I really don't like the thought of putting my $350 camera in a bag that only costs $30. Thanks for any help you can give me.

That is the camera my DH wanted. He tried it out at B&H and loved it. Same situation as you, he couldn't find an authorized Canon underwater housing ANYWHERE on-line. They were out of stock everywhere. He even called and/or stopped by all the B&M stores in NYC like B&H and they were out of stock also. He didn't want to go through ebay.

Since we are leaving on our cruise 4/1/07 there was no time to wait for them to get it in stock (no one knew when - just soon.) This was about 2 weeks ago and it's still not in stock and we leave in in 4 days!

We didn't NEED a new camera. We have a perfectly fine older Canon model. Except that the underwater housing for our model was only good for a few (15?) feet - which was not worth paying $170 for. Just thought if we wanted a underwater case, it would be a good time to upgrade. But if there was no case, there was no point in getting the camera.

We wound up purchasing an Olympus 770 (I think) water resistant to 35ft and shock resistant from 5 ft instead. It was in the $350 range but we didn't have to spend an additional $170 for the case. I'm glad we did that instead of waiting for the Canon case to come in stock because it still hasn't.

Of course, this may not help you since you already bought the Canon. I think DH said that you could be placed on an e-mail list at B&H where they will e-mail the minute they have inventory. Hope it comes in stock in the next week for your sake. Also, you can take your chances on ebay.

I know that Sports Chalet here in San Diego carries the Cannon cases and I am almost positive that they have them for the SD800.

Also try B & H photo on the web, they are usually pretty good about having items.

Do you know which store it was? I've called two, but was told both times that it would have to be specially ordered.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I still have a few places to get a hold of, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did sign up my email at a bunch of places to be notified when they come back in stock (including B&H). I'm just not really sure how long I can wait until it's to late to have it arrive by mail. If you have any more ideas, let me know!

I got one for a Canon A520 for our Tahiti cruise this past November and it is great!!! Pictures are very good (at least as good as the photographer :) ) and it's nice to deleat the misses. Our house has UW pictures on the walls in several locations!

I ordered an extra seal for the case as that camera & case were at the end of the production & I wanted a spair. When the seal goes, there goes my UW photography. But it's now been over 6 months & it's still on back order. So Canon can be a little slow ... I suggest keep trying to source the case on your own if possible. You will love the case, the effort will be worth it! :D

Dan

Well, I finally did find one in stock-- the problem I've found is that many places online would show them in stock, but once I called they would tell me they were out. I received an email from divervision.com saying they had it and it should arrive before I leave. That was on Thursday, and it still says my order is pending, so I'm not going to get too excited until I have the case in my hands! I might contact them on Monday to make sure they really do have one that will be sent to me. Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Great news on getting the case. 1 word of warning, read the maintenance information very carefully. I think that it's extreamly important.

I read where people flood their cameras. I think that they just treat it like a regular camera ... its not! You are under water ... seawater + camera = junk!!

I check the seal before each outing & make sure that it is well greased. The UW case comes with a small tube of silicon grease. I think, that with a small amount of care, the camera & case should last for a long long time.

Enjoy your UW photography. :)

Dan

Great news on getting the case. 1 word of warning, read the maintenance information very carefully. I think that it's extreamly important.

I read where people flood their cameras. I think that they just treat it like a regular camera ... its not! You are under water ... seawater + camera = junk!!

I check the seal before each outing & make sure that it is well greased. The UW case comes with a small tube of silicon grease. I think, that with a small amount of care, the camera & case should last for a long long time.

Enjoy your UW photography. :)

Dan

I've been shopping around for a housing for my Olympus camera, but Olympus doesnt offer one for my model, nor does anyone else. I've seen these underwater camera bags that can be used in such situations(according to the marketing!) but are they really safe or should I be looking at a disposable underwater camera?:(

I've been shopping around for a housing for my Olympus camera, but Olympus doesnt offer one for my model, nor does anyone else. I've seen these underwater camera bags that can be used in such situations(according to the marketing!) but are they really safe or should I be looking at a disposable underwater camera?:(

Hi,

Before I got my underwater enclosure I used what my wife called, "the $70 baggie" for my camera. As will all things if you keep them well maintained they work well. They are typically a strong plastic material with a piece of photographic glass sealed to it. You operate your camera through the plastic. The down sides, not all controls operate well through the material (slide zooms are pretty much useless). I also found they only worked in around 25 ft. or less depth as the air compression in the bag affects the controls (like you can't push down the shutter button because the bag is compressed against it). Also you need to keep at least one, preferrabiliy two desiccation packets in it to reduce fogging. Also flash doesn't work as it's dispersed in the bag and "whites" out your pictures. So if you're doing shallow water diving or snorkeling they're fine but you need other solutions if your profile is different.

Randall

I purchased the Ikelite housing for my Canon S3 late last year at Adorama . com and shipping was quick, you might check there, earl

Also look into the insurance offered when you buy at Wolf or Ritz Camera. If you can bring back the serial number they will fix or replace the camera, check it out.

Hi,

Before I got my underwater enclosure I used what my wife called, "the $70 baggie" for my camera. As will all things if you keep them well maintained they work well. They are typically a strong plastic material with a piece of photographic glass sealed to it. You operate your camera through the plastic. The down sides, not all controls operate well through the material (slide zooms are pretty much useless). I also found they only worked in around 25 ft. or less depth as the air compression in the bag affects the controls (like you can't push down the shutter button because the bag is compressed against it). Also you need to keep at least one, preferrabiliy two desiccation packets in it to reduce fogging. Also flash doesn't work as it's dispersed in the bag and "whites" out your pictures. So if you're doing shallow water diving or snorkeling they're fine but you need other solutions if your profile is different.

Randall

Thanks for the info Randall. I think the bag will work fine for me, I'll remember those dessication packs, it would be the thing I would forget :). Its my first cruise and I want to snorkel, I just wanted to be able to use my new camera.

• 3 weeks later...

I know its a bit late for the thread started. But I just got one for my Sd900 (Cannon) from digitalfotoclub dot com (i think that was it) found them from Froogle (now google products) best way to find most electronics or things you would get from the net, it was the cheapest place, best deal on shipping and google had a $10/off for signing up for their checkout program. I can't wait to go snorkling and take some pics with my cam, rather then having to get a UW clicker with film.

• 2 months later...

How do you like your Olympus 770? Did you get good pix and was it pretty easy to use underwater? We are planning to snorkel with our children and take pix of fish - no scuba diving. I am looking at the 770 and the 720...do you know the difference? Thanks for your help!

That is the camera my DH wanted. He tried it out at B&H and loved it. Same situation as you, he couldn't find an authorized Canon underwater housing ANYWHERE on-line. They were out of stock everywhere. He even called and/or stopped by all the B&M stores in NYC like B&H and they were out of stock also. He didn't want to go through ebay.

Since we are leaving on our cruise 4/1/07 there was no time to wait for them to get it in stock (no one knew when - just soon.) This was about 2 weeks ago and it's still not in stock and we leave in in 4 days!

We didn't NEED a new camera. We have a perfectly fine older Canon model. Except that the underwater housing for our model was only good for a few (15?) feet - which was not worth paying $170 for. Just thought if we wanted a underwater case, it would be a good time to upgrade. But if there was no case, there was no point in getting the camera.

We wound up purchasing an Olympus 770 (I think) water resistant to 35ft and shock resistant from 5 ft instead. It was in the $350 range but we didn't have to spend an additional $170 for the case. I'm glad we did that instead of waiting for the Canon case to come in stock because it still hasn't.

Of course, this may not help you since you already bought the Canon. I think DH said that you could be placed on an e-mail list at B&H where they will e-mail the minute they have inventory. Hope it comes in stock in the next week for your sake. Also, you can take your chances on ebay.

How do you like your Olympus 770? Did you get good pix and was it pretty easy to use underwater? We are planning to snorkel with our children and take pix of fish - no scuba diving. I am looking at the 770 and the 720...do you know the difference? Thanks for your help!

My husband is a DIEHARD Canon fan. We have had at least 5 different Canon cameras through the years. We would have had a 6th if the underwater housing for the Canon SD800 had been in stock when we needed it. Canon really does have the BEST customer service. They have gone above and beyond in many cases.

That being said, my husband was REALLY impressed with the Olympus 770. The underwater pictures came out great. We liked the fact that there wasn't a need for an extra underwater case (at an additional cost), it was nice and compact, and durable - we let the kids use it too. Oh, and did I mention that the pictures came out GREAT? We got LOTS of compliments on our pictures, especially the underwater ones, after our trip.

We brought 3 cameras on the cruise. Husband's Canon XT mainly stayed on the ship to take long distance pictures except when we were in San Juan and were just walking around. My little Canon digital and the new Olympus went with us on excursions and to the beach. By the end of the trip, the Olympus was the favorite because we didn't have to worry about getting it wet or sandy since the day usually ended up at a beach.

DH was meticulous about soaking the camera in the sink every night when we got back to the ship to get the sand and sea water residue out of the camera.

Bottom line is that we really like the Olympus 770 AND it takes great pictures. And the price was a good value. We don't know if their customer service is as great as Canon but if the camera keeps on working problem free, maybe we won't need their customer service at all.

Not sure which model is the 720. You might want to do a google search. But I know there was an earlier model that didn't go as deep underwater and could only be dropped from a lower height.

Good luck with your camera search.

Archived