Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

Carnival's definition of "formal" is not what most people are used to. From their website:

"Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit"

According to them, tuxedos are absolutely optional and suits/ties, sport coats are completely acceptable.

Why does everyone rag on people without a tux when it's laid out this way in the "guidelines"?

The OP was talking about hubby going sans jacket, not with in the stated guideline.

Carnival's definition of "formal" is not what most people are used to. From their website:

"Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit"

According to them, tuxedos are absolutely optional and suits/ties, sport coats are completely acceptable.

Why does everyone rag on people without a tux when it's laid out this way in the "guidelines"?

Ok so Carnival's definition of formal includes a sport jacket...even though most don't consider a sport jacket formal by any means....it doesn't help the OP out because her DH doesn't want to wear a jacket of any type...tux/suit or sport jacket.

I don't care who you are or where you're from, no jacket spells casual.

To the OP, you will not (unfortunately) be turned away from the dining room if your DH is without a coat of some form. You will see everything from tuxes to polo shirts on formal night. Although this is unfortunate, this is the way Carnival works. So, I guess if your husband likes being casual on formal night, then he will certainly get away with it.

Sorry, I should have quoted. I was specifically referring to the post that said "a sportcoat and tie is NOT formal waer".

That's because it isn't.

Next time you go to a mall, and see a store that says 'FORMAL WEAR' go inside. You will not see sport coats.

I don't care who you are or where you're from, no jacket spells casual.

Oh, I absolutely agree with that! :)

I wasn't trying to defend the OP's DH about not wearing a jacket, just wondering about why people assume you're only formal if in a tux.

ETA: Only speaking about Carnival cruises here, not "formal wear" in general.

Oh, I absolutely agree with that! :)

I wasn't trying to defend the OP's DH about not wearing a jacket, just wondering about why people assume you're only formal if in a tux.

ETA: Only speaking about Carnival cruises here, not "formal wear" in general.

TUX= FORMAL

SUIT= SEMI FORMAL

JACKET= CASUAL

technically speaking, of course.

Carnival has relaxed THEIR definition of formal to include sport coat and tie. They also offer the buffet for those that don't care to dress for the dining room. Can't think of anything else they can do to accomodate everyone.

On our cruise a man wore jeans, a jacket and white shirt with bolo tie, and cowboy boots. .

If my husband showed up for formal night dressed like this he'd be spending the rest of his life living in somebody's barn!

On our cruise last Sept not everyone had tuxes or suits on. Some even wore attire that was not very dressy. DH had black pant, white long sleeve shirt and a tie and looked very nice and was about middle of the road as far as dressy goes. I think it is up to how dressy you want to be.

Because they are still thinking of the "Prom" and still acting like they are in high school......:p

Okay honestly, on our cruise I felt really formal because I had bought a prom type gown. It was gorgeous black and white with the shawl and the glitter and DH wore a black suit. Seriously I felt like I was the most formal there. I actually bought a similar made dress for our cruise in May and I'm just going to buy DH a matching shirt and he will wear the same suit.

At our table we had two women, cruising together. Both were in very simple black dresses, nothing at all fru-fru. Something that you would wear to church. These ladies were in their early 40s. One couple, the man had on a sport coat, shirt and tie and the women had on the same type simple black dress but she did have on pearls which dressed it up. The other couple, OMG....LOL....she had on a black dress that was up to her butt and he had on black jeans, a black shirt, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. To say they were a riot in all ways is an understatement.

Anyway what I'm saying is that everywhere you looked you did not see Tuxs and Prom gowns. You just didn't. You didn't see shorts and women in jeans either but to be brutally honest.......who HONESTLY pays that much attention to who is around you? I mean I don't know about y'all but I'm on my cruise to have a wonderful time with my hubby! I love dressing up and taking pictures but if you don't then I honestly don't see that many people caring one way or the other.

Go and have a WONDERFUL time regardless. When are you ever going to see these people again? You are there to have fun with your hubby, do just that!

Ok.. Honestly if all of you are just going to be negative then I really don't want to hear it. Thanks but no thanks....

Wait, you asked if your husband would "get by with a nice button down shirt/tie/slacks? Also for me i got me a silk halter short prom/cocktail dress that is glittery"

and everyone answered you honestly and because we did not give you the answer you wanted to hear you get upset?

I hear the buffet is great on formal night:rolleyes:

Okay honestly, on our cruise I felt really formal because I had bought a prom type gown.

Because they are still thinking of the "Prom" and still acting like they are in high school......

LOL..why do some of you equate 'formal' only with the prom?? I guess maybe that's the last time you wore something formal?

Formal doesn't mean taffeta FTLOG.

But I like wearing taffeta. :D:p

As long as you have the frilly (glittery) panty and garter belt combo no one will say anything.:p

There's a man who understand the power of the tux :D

Why yes...yes I do :D ;)

I don't understand how folks can think slacks, shirt/tie w/or w/o a jacket is anything CLOSE to formal. It boggles the mind.

he had on black jeans, a black shirt, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. To say they were a riot in all ways is an understatement.

With the expextion of the cowboy hat that is what my husband will be wearing this easter sunday for Church and he sings in the Choir so whats up with that. I like my DH to wear what he wants to and if I want to wear a dress to match i will usally i wear my black skirt with a nice dress blouse and a necklace. We always look good together when we goplaces and we always get nice compliments I have to agrre with OP when qwe go in August my husband will probably wear a nice pr of pleated wranglers in black with his nice black dress shirt for the formal nights and i my short coacktail black dress.

I have to agrre with OP when qwe go in August my husband will probably wear a nice pr of pleated wranglers in black with his nice black dress shirt for the formal nights and i my short coacktail black dress.

"Matching" or looking "nice" has nothing to do with formal. When I google formal I get this:

MensFormalPgMain.jpg&usg=__mzTBHhjbyi74tR8HIvexcx7Xoik=

Not this:

RedneckWedding.jpg

When I read all these post about "Formal" night I have to laugh. Some of you get soooo freaking upset that people do not wear tuxes. I have an idea for you...worry about yourself. Your not the fashion police don't you know.

Yes the OP asked a question, give your answer and move on. You sound like whoever does not wear a Tux is a...bum. If wearing a tux makes you feel good about yourself, then put that puppy on and have fun.

I wore a tux the last 2 cruises i have been on because I chose to. I may have been the only one with a tux on my last cruise. I could have wore slacks and a sport coat, or just slacks and a buttom up. You know why I could have wore that....because Carnival said I can.

I will be cruising in 30 days on the Liberty. I will be wearing black slacks, a buttom up with no Tie (OH MY GOD!!!!!) and maybe a jacket!!! If you see me come and tell me how I look.

I am going on a cruise on Sunday. I just bought a new black suit, slacks, white shirt and am still not comfortable as this is not really "formal" attire. It is dressy and looks very nice, but it is still not formal. I have always been one to respect dress codes and I do not understand those that do not respect them. After reading this forum, it appeared to me that the formal code may actually be accepting of black suit. Traditonally, it had always seemed to mean tux only. In my day to day life, I am a jeans guy...casual dress all the way. But, if the occassion calls for formal dress, I comply out of respect to the occassion and out of respect to the other folks attending. I really do not care what the others are wearing, but I can see why others may find it a bit disrespectful of the others there.

I will be cruising in 30 days on the Liberty. I will be wearing black slacks, a buttom up with no Tie (OH MY GOD!!!!!) and maybe a jacket!!! If you see me come and tell me how I look.

You will look underdressed, no if, ands or buts.

When I read all these post about "Formal" night I have to laugh. Some of you get soooo freaking upset that people do not wear tuxes. I have an idea for you...worry about yourself. Your not the fashion police don't you know.

Yes the OP asked a question, give your answer and move on. You sound like whoever does not wear a Tux is a...bum. If wearing a tux makes you feel good about yourself, then put that puppy on and have fun.

I wore a tux the last 2 cruises i have been on because I chose to. I may have been the only one with a tux on my last cruise. I could have wore slacks and a sport coat, or just slacks and a buttom up. You know why I could have wore that....because Carnival said I can.

I don't really get "upset" about attire. I have just always complied when an event or an invite says "formal attire", "business casual attire". I never question it, its stated for a reason and I can comply or not comply. If I choose to not comply I just find something else to do. It does not occur to me to go to the event and disregard what the invite requests in tersm of dress...thats just me.

Archived