Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

Ok.. Honestly if all of you are just going to be negative then I really don't want to hear it. I do not know any of you so i do not appreciate the comments that were left. I was asking a question. If it was unacceptable then why is it an option on carnival's site? For one we will not be mismatched because his clothes will match my dress. And it will look nice. Thanks but no thanks....

Show me where it says its an OPTION?

If you want to eat in the Dining Room its not an option... see my post above becuase I wanted to know the REAL answer.

People who say, they don't care what other people wear and don't notice, are lying, everyone looks around the room and watches people walk along the promanade on formal night.

I hear people talking about what other people are wearing.

People that say they don't notice are just trying to justify what they are wearing themselves.

Just my personal observations.

Isn't that a little harsh? Yeah I'm sure people notice. But some just don't let it bother them....

There's a difference.

my husband would definitely agree with you. he will be wearing a nice pr of dress pants made from wrangler like i said ealier and he loves the color black so he will wear an all out black dress shirt to go with the dress pants but no tie and no jacket. He doesnt even wear that stuff to funerals,weddings or even Church he says if they dont like me for the way i dress then they can leave me alone.

i agreee this bickering back and forth about proper attrie is driving us all crazy its your vacation wear what you would when you go away for your family summer vacation to the shore or mts.

If you want to wear what you wear to the shore or the mountains, maybe you should GO to the shore or mountains.

And who cares what he wears to funerals, weddings or church. It isn't a funeral, a wedding or a church.

A jacket and tie is requested on formal night, and anything less than a jacket AND tie is tacky, rude and classless. But you just go ahead and knock yourself right out, I'm sure you'll have the nicest pleated black jeans on the ship :rolleyes:

The policy is very clearly difined. In a civilized and educated society, there should be NO need for enforcement.

Therein lies the dilema.

Oooh. I just thought of something that I wanted to add.

I just got off a 5 day cruise...there were a lot of kids on spring break. I was SO freaking pleased to see how well they dressed on formal night AND, I swear that even on casual nights these kids (MOST...certainly not all) dressed exceptionally well for those nights too.

I have to say (and I say this as a Yankee, born & bred) that most of these kids were from southern schools and their dress and manner were impecable. The girls especially were dressed to kill. It was extremely nice.

So, even though there were a handful of kids and a handful of adults that didn't feel like dressing properly each night, ( there were some jeans in the dining room on casual nights *shudder*) for the most part, even on a wild and crazy spring break cruise, people respected Carnival's request.

My DH and I one day while wandering on the ship, actually spotted a guy (not a kid, a middle aged man) wearing a flannel shirt and jeans.

Yeah, flannel on a Caribbean cruise. *shakes head*

So, as crazy and loud as the spring break kids got that week, at least you knew they had potential. The guy in the flannel, I'd say he's a lost cause. :p

The policy is very clearly difined. In a civilized and educated society, there should be NO need for enforcement.

Therein lies the dilema.

One only needs walk into any restaurant and see the number of men wearing ballcaps to know we are no longer.

If you want to wear what you wear to the shore or the mountains, maybe you should GO to the shore or mountains.

And who cares what he wears to funerals, weddings or church. It isn't a funeral, a wedding or a church.

A jacket and tie is requested on formal night, and anything less than a jacket AND tie is tacky, rude and classless. But you just go ahead and knock yourself right out, I'm sure you'll have the nicest pleated black jeans on the ship :rolleyes:

One might consider your response tacky, rude and classless. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder. :rolleyes:

my eyes behold no tackiness.

Like all arguments, there are two sides. I'm not taking a position as to what should be worn and what's not acceptable. Personally, I don't think it's the fault of the people NOT wearing prescribed clothing rather the people not enforcing it. Sure, you can attempt to change the minds of a few people on here that actually cruise, but I'd guess 80% or more have never heard of this site. Till they enforce it, they will continue to wear what they can get away with.

Like all arguments, there are two sides. I'm not taking a position as to what should be worn and what's not acceptable. Personally, I don't think it's the fault of the people NOT wearing prescribed clothing rather the people not enforcing it. Sure, you can attempt to change the minds of a few people on here that actually cruise, but I'd guess 80% or more have never heard of this site. Till they enforce it, they will continue to wear what they can get away with.

From what I here it's more like 99%....of cruisers anyway.

I had to quit reading after 4 pages of back n forth regarding this topic. I do have a question though regarding the dining room. How many people sit at the same table with you? We are a family of 4 and while I don't mind meeting new people, after reading all these posts it's nerve wracking to think we may end up sitting with people that are going to judge us based on what kind of clothes we are wearing. I get that there are 2 formal nights and they require formal wear, but what about the other 5 nights? Can you wear casual clothing? Thanks.

I had to quit reading after 4 pages of back n forth regarding this topic. I do have a question though regarding the dining room. How many people sit at the same table with you? We are a family of 4 and while I don't mind meeting new people, after reading all these posts it's nerve wracking to think we may end up sitting with people that are going to judge us based on what kind of clothes we are wearing. I get that there are 2 formal nights and they require formal wear, but what about the other 5 nights? Can you wear casual clothing? Thanks.

You could be put at a table for 8 with a closely matched family or you may end up in a booth for 4.

Is there a dress code for the dining room? spacer.gif Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

It will be all in your documentation.

Like all arguments, there are two sides. I'm not taking a position as to what should be worn and what's not acceptable. Personally, I don't think it's the fault of the people NOT wearing prescribed clothing rather the people not enforcing it.

Oh baloney. These are grown adults we're talking about. Are you telling me that if I run a red light, it's not MY fault but the police's fault for not arresting me? All of you adults out there are old enough to know right from wrong, acceptable from unacceptable, tact from tacky. It's NOT someone else's fault if YOU choose to be tacky - it's no one's fault but your own - stop blaming other people and accept responsibility for your own actions and decisions.

You can request a table for 4. We do it all the time and we always get it.

Don't worry about these peoples opinions on here.....that's all they are opinions....

Just no shorts and tank tops in the dining room for dinner. Relax and have a great time:)

I am quite certain that Mary won't be back on this thread. The answer she so desperately wanted didn't come back the way she expected. Too bad. So sad>>>>

certain are you? beep...wrong.

I wasn't asking for an answer. I was giving my opinion.

<<but certainly classier......I abide by the code!>>>

sorry a cheap tux is nothing but a cheap tux. It's not classy. And the code doesn't require a tux.

<You are a hypocrite.>

Into style, yes. hypocritical, no. Although I don't check everyone out to be sure they are meeting the dress code for the evening, I will certainly notice fabrics and how the clothes fit the person. And a cheaply made tux always looks like crap. Finely made clothing accentuates the person. So yeah, I would certainly notice that. So when you stroll into the dining room, surveying people with your nose in the air because you have a tux on and others are ruining your evening because they are wearing dockers and a dress shirt, I will notice how your tux is cut. It's a dead giveaway if it's cheap or not. And of course your shoes. And should you and I be sitting at the same table and you make a comment about someone not wearing a tux, please be wearing versace or I will find you quite laughable.

But hey if it makes you happy, enjoy.

Oh baloney. These are grown adults we're talking about. Are you telling me that if I run a red light, it's not MY fault but the police's fault for not arresting me? All of you adults out there are old enough to know right from wrong, acceptable from unacceptable, tact from tacky. It's NOT someone else's fault if YOU choose to be tacky - it's no one's fault but your own - stop blaming other people and accept responsibility for your own actions and decisions.

Hope you feel better.......I stand by my statement. I guess I'll actually, though I've never considered doing it.....look around the dining room on the cruise next week. Oh wait, I've got better things to do. :rolleyes:

Mary. Designer lables don't mean class. Most major designers just sell (license) the use of their names and often never see the garments.

The more I read these threads, the more I'm convinced that maybe some folks are not being taught manners and social graces by their parents. After all, regardless of our age, we are all a reflection on our parents.

Aaaah Mary Z, you just have to do the best you can with the education you've got. Versace???? You wouldn't know that from K-Mart, who are you kidding.

And as you've proved once more, you can't read/comprehend very well...it is obvious in your replies.......

And should you and I be sitting at the same table and you make a comment about someone not wearing a tux, please be wearing versace or I will find you quite laughable.

But hey if it makes you happy, enjoy.

Will my $700.00 Hugo Boss do? Will you settle for my $400.00 Tommy Hilfiger? I don't see anyone saying they have to wear a tux, a suit or sport coat will do.... what? They don't own one? If they can afford a cruise, they can afford a cheap sport coat or to rent a tux for the cruise.

This isn't about what you wear... or as my wife said its in the spirit of the night.

Its about people seeing that its FORMAL night and no matter where you live, a polo shirt and dockers is far from formal. That might be DRESSY to them but its not FORMAL.

Formal wear is a general term used to describe men's clothing suitable for formal events, including weddings, debutante balls, etc. Traditional 'rules' govern men's formal dress; these should strictly observed at social fuctions...

This isn't an etiquette class, but it is a class in common respect. I respect anyone's right to not participate in formal night.... as I have said I have not done so on a few occasions myself.

I don't respect someone who just decides that the rules that everyone else follows don't apply and that they will do as they please.

I don't see anyone saying they have to wear a tux, a suit or sport coat will do.... what? They don't own one? If they can afford a cruise, they can afford a cheap sport coat or to rent a tux for the cruise.>>>>>>

Like I said, we follow the dress code for the evening. We are used to going out to dinner dressed appropriately for our choice of dining.

However, if I am sitting with someone who chooses not to wear a suit or a tie, it will not destroy my night. It does not lessen my enjoyment of the evening or my choice of food, nor my fun at the table. That is up to that person to dress as they deem correct for them.

As long as they chew with their mouth closed, I don't care what they wear.

It is up to the people at carnival to deny entrance to the formal dining room on their formal evenings. Not up to me.

And basically if they are comfortable with what they have on, they will usually be having a good time, so we will then too. Nothing worse than listening to someone b*tch all thru the dinner that they hate having to wear a suit and tie and only did it to appease their partner.

been there, done that and told the guy please take off your tie and enjoy the night. and then one cruise the husband came to formal night in shorts. Once he sat down, guess what? You would never know he had shorts on. He was a really nice guy and funny to hang out with. I'd rather enjoy dinner with him and his family than not have them there because he didn't want to dress up.

<Versace???? You wouldn't know that from K-Mart, who are you kidding.>

LOL, you have it backwards ;) I don't shop at k-mart. I prefer walmart:p

If I didn't enjoy all things in life, I suppose I wouldn't sail carnival :D

Besides, carnival is the fun ship.

Archived