Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

Is that Charlie Watts from the Stones?

If it is I wish I had some of the tuxedo's he has the money to own.

(to stay on topic of course):rolleyes:

Tim

Joe Walsh actually. He has limo, he rides in the back. Dunno about a tux.

If carnival refused you entry to the dining room then maybe there would be a lot more people dressed in "formal wear". Until they enforce it than people will continue to dress in what they deem to be formal.

My DH and I sailed the Carnival Legend last week and although almost everyone did participate in formal night and dress appropriately, I must say that Carnival in no way enforces it's own policies. "Formal" attire for one person meant a tye-dyed t-shirt, and for another it meant ragged jeans, bellly exposed (not pretty:eek: ). I don't mind the choice of attire at most times, but Carnival employees need to feel comfortable refusing entry to the dining room if the dress is inappropriate.

To the OP, a coat of some sort would probably be the best option for your husband on formal night, but don't be surprised if you find others are far less "formally" dressed.

basketsiam. Same as my experience. In five Carnival cruises, usually 85 to 90 percent of the people in the dining room are dressed as expected. I know reading these threads you would think otherwise, but that has been my and many other's experience.

basketsiam. Same as my experience. In five Carnival cruises, usually 85 to 90 percent of the people in the dining room are dressed as expected. I know reading these threads you would think otherwise, but that has been my and many other's experience.

That has also been my experience, i see very few people not dressed in the required clothing.

Seadragon813:

Carnival let's you off the hook on Formal Night by allowing you to "get away with" a non-formal outfit (Jacket, Coat & Tie), and you still can't comply??????

It's you and folks like you that everyone has been complaining about in this and other threads. You just don't get it.

Well, I'm sailing on the Valor before you, so I'll make it a point to discuss Formal attire with the Maitre'd and see if I can't help you out (and others like you.)

I love this quote of yours.

Until they enforce it than people will continue to dress in what they deem to be formal.
Guess that means that Jasper can wear his cleanest Bib Overalls and that would be his "Formal Wear"

Arrogance beyond belief!

Why are you all such snobs? This lady was just asking for help. I've been on different lines, and have seen all types of dress. Do you all just sit at your tables looking around at people to criticize? Lighten up!! It's a cruise, you're suppose to be there to enjoy yourselves. As long as you don't show up in jean/short/t-shirts on formal night, then, you'll be fine. My husband always wears a nice suit, our son, wheres a shirt and tie. Again, we are there to relax, not to be judged by the cruise snobs!!!!!

Why are you all such snobs? This lady was just asking for help. I've been on different lines, and have seen all types of dress. Do you all just sit at your tables looking around at people to criticize? Lighten up!! It's a cruise, you're suppose to be there to enjoy yourselves. As long as you don't show up in jean/short/t-shirts on formal night, then, you'll be fine. My husband always wears a nice suit, our son, wheres a shirt and tie. Again, we are there to relax, not to be judged by the cruise snobs!!!!!

The OP asked if no jacket is formal enough. The answer is no, Carnival who is hosting the event expects a jacket.

Respecting that has nothing to do with snobbery, just good manners.

Regardless, this thread went way beyond the original question long ago.

True. Good manners. Courtesy. Proper social graces. Those actions do not define snobbery. If someone chooses to ignore the expected dress standards, it really does say something about them. And it ain't comfort.

I do not see the "snobbery" myself. She asked a question and we clarified the guidelines. Yes, peiople can and do step out of the guidelines but they are there for a reason. I have thought that people want to go to a formal event so they can be formal..thats the purpose, right? There are tons of dining options to pick and choose from. People that want to be in a formal setting can gp to formal event. Nobody can explain why they would want to go to a formal event in informal attire...why? I could understand if there were no informal events...

May I suggest to those that enjoy and appreciate the formal nights to speak to the Hotel Manager who is the bosss over the dining room staff. You might even search him out the first day. Then and or, if you see non-enforcement, speak to him again. Maybe the Maitre D will get the message. And don't forget the end of cruise comment cards.

Get a grip. Expecting people to follow established rules is not snobbery. Expecting people to BEND the rules just so YOU can "relax", well, THAT'S pretty snobby.

Don: Yea after you mentioned that it was Joe Walsh I could see it. Still not used to Joe in short hair.

I have seen Joe in a tux at the Grammys though.

I really am suprised about the fuss here.

One or two formal nights and it seems people dont want to dress up.:confused:

The standards keep getting lower and lower.

Plenty of other places to eat on the ship Im sure.

Its really about people who dont want any kind of rules to apply to them.

Ive seen resort wear thats more expensive than buying a tux.

I think this is a matter of wanting to do what you want to do.

Anarchy and mutiny on the ship.

Just think what a great world this would be if there were not any rules.

Not!

Break out the tux or eat somewhere else that night perhaps.

Tim

As long as you don't show up in jean/short/t-shirts on formal night, then, you'll be fine. My husband always wears a nice suit, our son, wheres a shirt and tie. Again, we are there to relax, not to be judged by the cruise snobs!!!!!

So if a new cruiser reads your post and thinks it ok to wear what they want, then are not admitted to the dining room, will you even care you gave them wrong advice?

We are not talking about a "suggested" dress code here, we are talking about a "required" dress code that is posted on the Carnival website and the way people always abuse them and make up their own rules and then find some way to justify themselves.

Again I hate to sound repetative but what it would cost you for a nice suit you can actually purchase a decent tux from JC Penney online and in their stores. (JC Pennys is not paying me for that endorsement).

There are also other great deals on Tuxedo's out there as well.

So lets get happy feet (no penquin joke intended )and put out for a tux.:cool:

Ive always thought it was a cool thing to raise the bar not lower it.

Peace

Tim

People who say, they don't care what other people wear and don't notice, are lying, everyone looks around the room and watches people walk along the promanade on formal night.

I hear people talking about what other people are wearing.

People that say they don't notice are just trying to justify what they are wearing themselves.

Just my personal observations.

People will most certainly be judgemental, particularly when they are following the dress code and the "county bumpkins" don't give a damn. If they say that they are comfortable, their DH "looked splendid in his cowboy outfit", and people aren't looking at them or judging them, they are dillusional (which is why they do not wish to conform....typical of society)

They ain't gonna ruin my evening, but I have every right to judge them, and consider them what I will.

Now, get with it or go to the Buffet for dinner!

Seadragon813:

Carnival let's you off the hook on Formal Night by allowing you to "get away with" a non-formal outfit (Jacket, Coat & Tie), and you still can't comply??????

It's you and folks like you that everyone has been complaining about in this and other threads. You just don't get it.

Well, I'm sailing on the Valor before you, so I'll make it a point to discuss Formal attire with the Maitre'd and see if I can't help you out (and others like you.)

I love this quote of yours. Guess that means that Jasper can wear his cleanest Bib Overalls and that would be his "Formal Wear"

Arrogance beyond belief!

WOW this convo has gotten nasty!! but hey what can you expect from "grown adults"!! You know the year is 2007 and people no longer see formal as what it use to be in 1975, and trust me I understand the policy set by Carnival very well... If you truly think that people not dressing up is going to ruin your cruise, then maybe you should not cruise with Carnival. It's funny I work for a major international airline, and there was a time when people used to dress formal to fly business class...imagine that... now people wear short and shirts!! Times are changing and Carnival is going with them!! As they should Change is good for everyone!!

Anyways you my friend are very arrogant yourself, it's sad to know that you worry so much about what other people are wearing... it's a vacation!! Get over it move on...Oh and talk to the Maitre'd for me as well I will be wearing a dress shirt, tie and black pants... I'm glad I will not be sailing with you... I would hate to ruin your cruise, because I'm not wearing a suit!!!! Have a great cruise and please do enjoy formal night... and try not to waste so much time thinking and talking about what everyone is wearing, your dinner might get cold:D

You know the year is 2007 and people no longer see formal as what it use to be in 1975,

Gee, dress attire goes back many more hundreds of years than that.

Please read on:

Originally Posted by Blazerboy

Ahh, this great democracy that we live in, where supposedly everyone is equal, but nobody truly believes it- it's not true, mostly because everyone's insecure about where they fit in to the picture, and is clawing to feel better than others. This country, where manners are seen as something only for the upper class, but then the upper class is defined solely by educational level and income level, and those two things are no guarantee of manners. Some of the "classiest" (I HATE that word) people I know have what are considered humble lives by most.

"Me, me, me" is the shout, but I read that not as a true belief on the part of the declarer, but as a cry that "I'm just as good as you are!", based on some insecurity about their social standing. Well, no one said you weren't, especially if you respect the requests of others, including your hosts or the people with whom you choose to do business.

"It's my vacation, so I'll do whatever I want" are nine of the most immature words strung together in the history of the language. If you were six, you'd be called a spoiled brat. Why is it any different when you become an adult. In kindergarten, you're expected to have better behavior than that. Why not now? We are becoming a culture that is solely about acquisition of status symbols, be they homes, cars, children, or vacations. We have also become a country of impatient, scared, small minded, classless boors, who think "instant gratification" takes too long. In our demand to be treated the same, we seem to all feel that we should be the exception to rules. Our arrogance about our own self importance (and the underlying insecurity that feeds it) knows no bounds. We drive enormous wasteful SUV's to feel protected, and shut ourselves off from the world in huge McMansions so we don't have to interact with other people. And our lives' list of accomplishments would say very little about our value as a person, and would say not-so-nice things about our values as humans.

A cruise is not simply a vacation to brag about around the office water cooler, it's a social interaction, just like going to a party, or conducting business in a professional manner when at work. It comes with privileges AND responsibilities. Guests, whether paying or not, have rights, but they also have obligations. It's about interacting civilly, about accepting that there are rules and requests that apply to us, and that we need to start valuing some of the culture that we claim is 'old fashioned' before it's acceptable to stop interacting with people altogether.

My word. What a sad state of affairs.

Andrew

Well said Mr. Pete/Blazerboy, but do you really expect the likes of 777mjrseb to understand that? He falls into Jasper's category, "I'll be wearing my Bib Overalls because I'm comfortable in them and my DW thinks I look adorable in them....Duuuuuh"

And just for the record, no country bumpkin, or classless person could ever ruin one of my cruises....just read the bottom line in my signature for clarification.

The point surely gets missed by those who won't conform.....reminds me of a Clinton Campaign where the tag line was, "It's about the Economy Stupid"....in this case, "It's about the required Dress Code Stupid!"

Oh, I almost forgot, nice touch with the RED text...what other color Crayons do you have?

May I suggest to those that enjoy and appreciate the formal nights to speak to the Hotel Manager who is the bosss over the dining room staff. You might even search him out the first day. Then and or, if you see non-enforcement, speak to him again. Maybe the Maitre D will get the message. And don't forget the end of cruise comment cards.

Do you ever think if they did turn people away for there dress attire they would be affraid of gettign sued for discrimination because now a days some would probably try to sue under this because this is part of there freedom of the USA and i know we will dress up but no tux for us and no ball room gown but a suit and tie and nice coacktail dress. Like i said some people may of tried to sue CCL so thats maybe why they quit enforcing it.

PLUS IT AINT WHAT WE WEAR ITS WHAT IN SIDE US THAT COUNTS.

My opinion is this wear what you feel comfortable in and it has nothing to do with your type of classless or being a country bumpkin .

I commend you for serving our country but i must say you need to put your self in the shoes of those classless people and see how they feel when we judge people . There is only one person in this world who is to Judge and thats God.

I figured this post would have some flames by now. I asked my DH and he said he didn't mind wearing his tux for a night or two. We bought him a beautiful one at Burlington Coat Factory (just back from the dry cleaners yesterday :D). It was a bit more than JC Penney ($175), but just gorgeous. When he wanted a vest/bow tie combo, I found one at an internet wedding store for only$15! I have also found many great tie/cummerbund deals on ebay. He also takes a beautiful grey pin striped suit w/silk ties. Since I always aim to look nice, he likes to dress accordingly. His tux fits perfect, but I must add, when he does finish his formal dinner (sometimes 2-3 entrees!), he does feel a little uncomfortable! LOL :D Why not just rent one? Another good place are tux rental stores if nobody has mentioned them, they sell their inventory many times per year and very cheaply! Doesn't have to be a tux, but I do know my DH really likes his......

Well said Mr. Pete/Blazerboy, but do you really expect the likes of 777mjrseb to understand that? He falls into Jasper's category, "I'll be wearing my Bib Overalls because I'm comfortable in them and my DW thinks I look adorable in them....Duuuuuh"

And just for the record, no country bumpkin, or classless person could ever ruin one of my cruises....just read the bottom line in my signature for clarification.

The point surely gets missed by those who won't conform.....reminds me of a Clinton Campaign where the tag line was, "It's about the Economy Stupid"....in this case, "It's about the required Dress Code Stupid!"

? why does every one have to pick on each other about what class we are in. We are living in a diversity world where we are to get along . We should not Judge one another God is the only one who can Judge whats right and whats wrong. We need to take a look at ourselves and yes it may be the right thing to wear proper attire for formal nights but where i come from we all have diiferent opinions on what to wear we will never find a soulution I think we need to relax and enjoy live and not condem others on thing they are doing wrong.

Thank you, Thank you CruisingfromPA, you proved my point once again, unfortunately, there are some others like you (but very few as the posts in this thread indicate) who just don't get it!

Oh, I'm sorry but I just can't force myself to "put myself in the shoes of those classless people", not my nature or upbringing!

OK I have a question concerning formal wear. My hubby does not want to wear a sport coat... He dislikes them... Can he get by with a nice button down shirt/tie/slacks? Also for me i got me a silk halter short prom/cocktail dress that is glittery. Is this formal enough????

Hey tell your Hubby to wear what he feels comfortable and what you like to see on him that makes you feel good about your self and what turns you on not anyone else.

Archived