Seasick meds and children ??

isshin

I'll be cruising with my children (ages 6 and 14 by cruise time) on the Explorer of the Seas, western carib, June 2005. After asking my pediatrician for advice on what to do if my younger one is seasick I had a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. My son has never been motion sick but also never cruised. Being as I am very motion sensitive (and will be doped up the entire time :)) I am trying to have a plan in case my son got my seasick genes. Doc said "no" to the dramamine type meds for children under twelve; ginger would be ok but she didn't think it would be effective. Has anyone ever cruised with a seasick child; what did you do to handle it; how effective was it? Any other things I should be thinking about in relation to this?

Thanks!

Not really an answer to your question, but I have sailed on Explorer of the Seas on the Western Caribean route and we felt little or no motion of the ship. It was a very smooth ride.

As to you question, my son now 4 was sick to his stomach on a cruise last year - not sure if it was sea sickness or not. Anyway, we had taken the "Little Tummies Ginger Syrup" with us. Got it at Walmart. This seemed to work pretty well. I actually used it myself b/c I was pregnant at the time and couldn;t take anything else. I usually don't get sea sick but with being pregnant and it was a smaller boat so I think that made the difference. Other tips would be to have him eat a green apple or a banana everyday - both of these are supposed to help with sea sickness.

You might pick up some seabands at your Pharmacy. I understand they work well and of course, would have no side effects.

I am not sure about the age limit on Bonine (Meclizine) and it is not listed in my drug book. You might check with the Pharmacist or your pediatrician. They make a chewable form.

Have a great trip!

Joyce

7/2004 Dawn Princess to Alaska

Already planning next cruise (Disney)

Maybe there are particular reasons your doctor said no dramamine for your little one, but the medication does give dosage directions for children:

Children 6 to under 12: 1/2 to 1 tablet every 6 to 8 hours, not to exceed 3 tablets in 24 hours or as directed by a doctor. Children 2 to under 6: 1/4 to 1/2 tablet every 6 to 8 hours, not to exceed 1-1/2 tablets in 24 hours or as directed by a doctor. Children may also be given Liquid Formula Children's Dramamine in accordance with directions for use.

Children under age 12 cannot take dramamine non-drowsy (meclazine), perhaps that was what he was thinking of? I know we used dramamine with our kids when they were little for car sickness. With our kids we have also found Emitrol to be very helpful for motion sickness relief after it hits, although we have only used in on car trips not cruises.

When I asked my doctor what to use for my kids, he suggested Emetrol. I am so glad he did, because now I swear by the stuff. :) I use it on and off the ship for my kids nausea problems. And it always works. In fact, my husband recently came down with a stomach virus and I used it on him. I tried everything but nothing worked. Then I looked at the Emetrol and it had adult dosage info. on it. So I tried it and it worked like a charm on him. And it's available most anywhere, even at Wal-Mart. And it always gets rid of the nausea for us.:D

Archived