shots

reaman

nope. I think there's a listing somewhere on the State Dept. website as to which immunizations you need to travel anywhere. Here's the link: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm#vaccines. Unless you plan on eating contaminated or raw/unwashed fruits or shellfish, looks like you may be in the clear on that one. Although they list about 5 or 6 shots that you could get, but the descriptions of how you could get them seem really obscure.

Don't take the advise of a medical proffesional. It is much better to take if from strangers on a message board. :rolleyes:

what's the harm in asking one's own doctor if they've heard of this or recommended it?:confused: the worst you cld do is look like an idiot, and i've done that before:D

Don't take the advise of a medical proffesional. It is much better to take if from strangers on a message board. :rolleyes:

Don't make fun of this poster, Luv. I know plenty of medical 'professionals' that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground. I don't trust any of them. I investigate everything they tell me these days.

As far as the shots, I would look into it further if I were you. It depends on where you are going in the Caribbean and how old your baby is. You need to weigh out the risks. Vaccinations aren't always the safest things for a child if they aren't necessary, why inject your child with them? Always look for advice from other Moms...it can't hurt to get input. Use the internet and Google your head off. And always ask more than one doctor.

Don't make fun of this poster, Luv. I know plenty of medical 'professionals' that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground.

Be that as it may, they prolly no more then most of the wing nutz that hang around here. :D:p

Don't make fun of this poster, Luv. I know plenty of medical 'professionals' that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground. I don't trust any of them. I investigate everything they tell me these days.

As far as the shots, I would look into it further if I were you. It depends on where you are going in the Caribbean and how old your baby is. You need to weigh out the risks. Vaccinations aren't always the safest things for a child if they aren't necessary, why inject your child with them? Always look for advice from other Moms...it can't hurt to get input. Use the internet and Google your head off. And always ask more than one doctor.

I believe the OP has faith in her pedatrician and probably has always seen to it that her children are immunized, and the Hep A is precautionary. She doesn't need a lecture about not immunizing...Sheesh!

I believe the OP has faith in her pedatrician and probably has always seen to it that her children are immunized, and the Hep A is precautionary. She doesn't need a lecture about not immunizing...Sheesh!

Actually, by posting the OP shows that she has doubts. Nothing wrong with people presenting both sides of an argument in a civilized manner.

get a grip.

I wasn't lecturing, I was admiring her being cautious about the vaccination and questioning it. A responsible parent does question things that they aren't sure about, even if a doctor recommends it.

Hep A is definitely precautionary and sometimes is called for. But many doctors are too quick to give shots/meds. This is why I asked the age of her baby AND the ports she was going to. Some Caribbean islands warrant Hep A shots while others don't. It can't hurt to look into something and be informed.

Not the kind you drink, my kids pediatrician told us we needed to have a current hepatitis A vaccine if we were traveling to the Caribbean. Has any else been told this.

My question is, why is a pediatrician telling any adult what shots to get....give me advice on my children (we have a great ped who would never give me advice on what I need-medically) I have my own Doc who has given me advice and care for years...:eek:

I always make sure my kids are up-to-date on vacines.....they have to be to go to any day care or school anyway!!!!

Sorry if the OP meant to say his/her children but the wording seemed to imply everyone in his/her family.....:D

Before we went on our cruise all four of us got the Hep A and B shot...called Twinrix. We were told by the doctor that it was a good idea, but not necessary based on the ports we were visiting. We decided to stay on the safe side and get them anyways. The shots are quite expensive...around $65-70 a piece and there are three of them. One is given, then 3 months later a second, and then six months later your third.

However we agreed that $250-$300 is a small price to pay to ensure safety and health.

IMO, there's no reason for anyone except a Luddite not to be immunized against hep A and B. It's not just the Caribbean - you can get A at your local burger joint, and B can become chronic...and deadly. If there are appreciable risks to these immunizations, I've yet to hear about them.

IMO, there's no reason for anyone except a Luddite not to be immunized against hep A and B. It's not just the Caribbean - you can get A at your local burger joint, and B can become chronic...and deadly. If there are appreciable risks to these immunizations, I've yet to hear about them.

You may be 100% right. My initial post was just defending this woman for asking questions. I think this day and age everyone must be their own advocate and look into medical advice given before going along with it.

If I, like her questioned the need for this vaccination, I'd ask other parents who have traveled if their pediatricians also recommended this for their babies/children (just to get an idea) and I'd be looking for facts on line about it. Then if it all checked out I'd of course go ahead with the recommendation. If what I found on line scared me, then I'd ask another doctor what they thought. It certainly can't hurt to be thorough when dealing with your children's health.

My DD travled extensively through Central America this past year and was given a bunch of shots including Hepatitis injections and Malaria pills, but she is a full grown adult at 21. My question to the OP was how old is her child?

Hepatitis shots may be perfectly safe for even infants, I wouldn't know since I don't have any. My girls are grown now. I do know, that like the OP, I would definitely ASK before injecting my kids with anything....that was my only point.

Be that as it may, they prolly no more then most of the wing nutz that hang around here. :D:p

unless your gonna count youself among them, don't count me:rolleyes:

had to amend my post b/c what i wrote first was in the heat of the moment, and really didn't come off like i wanted it to. but truth be told, i was a little offended by the comment duck. you basically said most of us are idiots. i wldn't refer to myself as a brainiac, and i'm not an MD, but i'm really not stupid, either.

BTW - depending on how your doc codes the series you might not have to pay the $200+ for the series.

Mine were coded international travel (I'll be in China this fall) and I paid 1 co-pay of $15.

It's true that you can catch Hep A in the USA because of the type of disease it is. I think to catch it on a cruise ship would be even more miserable. Wouldn't you think that would be something they'd make you disembark for?

Archived