Planning Baby's 1st Cruise...Advice?

wanderlust1026

My hubby and I are thinking of taking a Carribean cruise in early November of this year. We have been on cruises before but this will be the 1st for our little son who will then turn 13 months.

We are looking to return to our favorite cruise line - Princess and I think it's the Grand Princess that will do a sailing around the Southern Carribean. We will be flying from Los Angeles to Puerto Rico maybe stay there for a day then board the ship.

Any tips/advice? Specifically...

- Little one goes to bed around 8:30p...any tips/advice of what hubby and I could do...probably not the movies or show? We will probably book a balcony room.

- Where should he sleep? We have a Kidco Peapod and he slept ok in it on our little getaway to the snow.

- Bring a kiddie sized pool since he won't be able to go into the pool?

Any hints/advice/tips will be appreciated!

Thanks!

There are a couple of recent threads on here that may answer some of these questions. Here is my 2-cents...

- Little one goes to bed around 8:30p...any tips/advice of what hubby and I could do...probably not the movies or show? We will probably book a balcony room.

You could have a staff babysitter in your room if you want to go out and take in a late show alone. If you recall, there are usually two shows an evening 7 and 9pm (approx), so each dinner seating can see them.

If you think your son can handle it, you might consider taking him to the show with you in a stroller. You can sit near the entrance at the end of a row so if he begins to act up, you can walk out. We have done this before and have never had a problem. But our son is very outgoing and loves action. We've taken hm to some of the live music and he'll dance into the wee hours.

Your son probably won't adhere to his normal schedule anyway. I recommend getting naps in during the day as much as you can. This is why I always bring a good stroller that fully reclines. My son could nap while we were walking around the ship. But, he can sleep pretty much anywhere. Only you know your kid best so you'll have to be flexible and accomodating to his needs,but you can still have a good time on vacation!

Balcony is a great idea. Ask the steward to remove some of the chairs or tables from your room. If they won't, put them out on the balcony.

- Where should he sleep? We have a Kidco Peapod and he slept ok in it on our little getaway to the snow.

I don't know what a peapod is, but ships have pack n plays. I'd recommend getting them to put one in your room instead of lugging extra kiddie gear.

- Bring a kiddie sized pool since he won't be able to go into the pool?

Check out the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=277982

There are no babysitting options for children under 3 on Princess, unless that's something special to that particular ship. If you'd like the option of babysitting, Carnival or RCCL offer it.

I took my twins on Princess when they were 13 months and then again at 20 months, and as long as you know you're all going to be together 24/7, it's a wonderful way to go. You will see many parents pushing their sleeping children in strollers in the evening. You can sit in the back of the shows, and then leave if your child stirs. My girls LOVED going to the disco before it opened to dance and chase the lights, and we would go to the kids area to play (under 3s are allowed only with parent there).

The only suggestion I'd make is to consider the Mexico route instead since you're in Los Angeles anyway. It's a dream to pull up to the ship, unload all the luggage and baby things and walk onto the ship without worrying about flying or packing everything to fit onto a plane, or especially taking it all from plane to hotel and then to ship. I prefer the Carib also, but nothing beats sticking a luggage tag on the bouncie seat and everything else, walking onto the ship and having everything delivered to your room. For me it's worth giving up the blue Carib water for the convenience - and as long as I'm on a ship and being taken care of, I don't care where it goes. And the Krystal Resort in Puerto Vallarta is the most wonderful, toddler friendly place, and is a short stroller walk away from the ship.

Even if you fly, I recommend breaking down a bouncie chair to pack and bring. It's a great thing to put him in in the cabin while you get ready, etc., and you can bring it on deck with you, etc. The small blow up pool is a must - works as a bathtub in the shower and as a splash pool on deck.

Have a great time, whereever you go!

Best,

Mia

There are no babysitting options for children under 3 on Princess

Thanks for pointing that out! I never needed to use babysitting because I'm lucky that my in-laws like to cruise, too, and don't mind being with their grandkids. I also read that NCL does NOT offer in-cabin babysitting or group babysitting for those under 2 years of age.

Archived