Carnival out of Baltimore

Bermuda2

Actually, RCCL just posted the '08 showing Grandeur returning to B'more. They actually changed the itinerary this year to be more southern than western (to me). Still would love to see a CCL ship in there to give more options. Right now RCCL has the market to themselves, which is part of why the prices are what they are:(

Come on Carnival - let's get some friendly competition going:D

Actually, RCCL just posted the '08 showing Grandeur returning to B'more. They actually changed the itinerary this year to be more southern than western (to me). Still would love to see a CCL ship in there to give more options. Right now RCCL has the market to themselves, which is part of why the prices are what they are:(

Come on Carnival - let's get some friendly competition going:D

Hi,

Where did you see that the Grandeur was going to be there in 08? I just want a ship in Baltimore....purely shelfish reasons!!

Thanks,

sandi

They were talking about it in the boards last night - seems the repo cruise in April has shown back up:o Haven't personally looked, but since the ship sails full virtually every time, don't really think RCCL will pull out any time soon (especially since the smaller ships - like empress- are being retired). Was some talk about building a port further south (below the bay bridge), but I think that's a pipe dream, since MD shelled out a bit to refurb the current terminal just last year!:cool:

We are just trying to find an alternative to the 13 hour drive to Orlando next July for the Glory. Although that ship looks AMAZING! We are booked on that and will stay if nothing sounds good closer. We are so close to the port. Lots of $$$$ saving!!

Take care

sandi

Are you sure about this? Carnival's schedule is already out through Sept. 2008. I think 2009 would be more likely if at all. With only the two Spirit-class ships on the east coast, it is not likely that Carnival would move the Miracle out of the NYC market. Would they move the Legend out of Tampa to offer a similar Caribbean cruise from Baltimore?

Triumph doesnt have a home after April 08...just thought I would throw that out there for the rumor mill to chew on :D

Triumph doesnt have a home after April 08...just thought I would throw that out there for the rumor mill to chew on :D

Hmmmm.... Maybe do some alternating between B'more and the new terminal in Norfolk?:D :D :D Purely selfish reasons here, too. Would so love to cruise without the airfare and those two Bahamas cruises a year from Norfolk just don't excite me (and are way pricey.) Could easily drive to either port.

The April 08 repo to B-more is on RCCl web but rumor has it that it will go north (adding another leg to the repo from Tampa to San Juan to B-more) doing only Canada and Bermuda out of maybe Boston or NY. Tat would leave B-more WITHOUT a ship for 09. Someone has already posted that Triumph is not scheduled for 08 after April. Maybe, someone at CC will pick up on our desire to sail in 08 and give her to the folks in MD. I am selfish also and just want a ship. I am not even going to be picky about the line. It is so much nicer to drive to the port (we have to fly from BWI so we already have to drive to Baltimore) than to fly to another with an extended family all sailing together. The children and older folks really cannot handle the airport and long waits well. The new B-more port is just fantastic!

I have not sailed Carnival-- but would definitely if came to Baltimore! We have sailed out of our home port 5 times & it cannot be beat-- we too are selfish! I just flew to FL for a cruise early March & it was such a pain! We also bussed it to Bayonne last June- really did not care for that port. Each time, we have to book another trip from Baltimore to get our proper "relaxation!".. Baltimore's new terminal in Locust Point is really very nice. Hoping we get another ship! We love Royal & Celebrity but will definitely sail Carnival! My goodness, we had 5 ships to choose from 5 years ago (just when I got bit by the cruise bug). Had no idea we'd dwindle down to 1 ship-- and now 1 ship w/ only spring & fall schedule for '08.

Does anyone know if the Triumph can get under both the Key and Bay bridges?:confused: I found pictures a while ago showing a carnival ship @ the old terminal, but couldn't tell which one it was.

I believe that picture is of the Miracle. I have been trying to find the stats about the ships height above water. There is definitely a height restriction for the Key bridge. The Bay Bridge is not a problem. The Spirit class ships, Legend & Miracle, just barely make it under the Key Bridge. The Triumph also has a deeper draft than the Legend or Miracle and does not have their speed.

I believe that picture is of the Miracle. I have been trying to find the stats about the ships height above water. There is definitely a height restriction for the Key bridge. The Bay Bridge is not a problem. The Spirit class ships, Legend & Miracle, just barely make it under the Key Bridge. The Triumph also has a deeper draft than the Legend or Miracle and does not have their speed.

How come the Key Bridge (185 ft) has a "height restriction", and the Bay Bridge (one foot higher at 186 ft) "is not a problem"?

How come the Key Bridge (185 ft) has a "height restriction", and the Bay Bridge (one foot higher at 186 ft) "is not a problem"?

All I know, is that on previous discussions on this board the Key Bridge was the only concern. I have not heard of any ships having a problem with the Bay Bridge. I will do some more research and post what I find out.

All I know, is that on previous discussions on this board the Key Bridge was the only concern. I have not heard of any ships having a problem with the Bay Bridge. I will do some more research and post what I find out.

No need to. It's all right here:

http://www.mdta.state.md.us/mdta/Documents/baybridge.pdf

http://www.mdta.state.md.us/mdta/Documents/keybridge.pdf

People need to do their homework a little better before spouting off. The Bay Bridge clearance is only one foot higher than the Key Bridge.

I am a Firefighter in Baltimore stationed at the Locust point station on Fort Ave, and the new cruise terminal is wonderful, we even toured the RCL ship last year while in port hoping to get a free meal,LOL, was told if we plan ahead they could accommodate us. Surely hope CCL comes to Baltimore, would book in a minute.

No need to. It's all right here:

http://www.mdta.state.md.us/mdta/Documents/baybridge.pdf

http://www.mdta.state.md.us/mdta/Documents/keybridge.pdf

People need to do their homework a little better before spouting off. The Bay Bridge clearance is only one foot higher than the Key Bridge.

Here is what I found out. Spirit class ships have a keel to mast height of 199.6' and a draft of 26', which leaves a clearance under the Key Bridge of about 11'. Destiny class ships have a keel to mast height of 236' and a draft of 27', which leaves a clearance of . . . -24'. In other words, the Triumph won't fit under the Key Bridge or the Bay Bridge.

Wow. I don't think he was "spouting off". Most people don't know these stats off the top of their head. Last year sailed out of B'more on the Grandeur, and (I know angle impacts perception here) it looked like she just cleared under both bridges. I know they have to time departure carefully to go out on low tide, as high tide they might not clear. It's just a friendly rumor mill here:D

It's just a friendly rumor mill here:D

:D LOL!! Crookedhalo, look at my location . . . are you near me? It's always nice to see folks cruising from your area :)

Carnival, please hurry up and get a ship for us from B'more (pleezzz) :)

LOL Hawaii697, I'm on the other side of the river (Calvert) from you. And you are not kidding about B'more being a great port to sail out of. Only drawback (and this isn't one for me!) is the length of time before you can get somewhere. I mean it takes a minimum 9 day cruise to go someplace other than bermuda. I would love to see more choice, maybe the prices would go down. But since ships are getting bigger and bigger, we'll never see one of the new ships here, just the old "ladies" - but bring them on! I'll be happy to give them a shot!;)

Well, here's more fuel for the fire. On RCCL's board there is a link to a Hampton Roads, VA newspaper saying the RCCL is sending Grandeur there from June to Sept. '08:mad: Now it looks like RCCL is pulling out of B'more, this is a real bummer (even though Norfolk is only about an hour further for me, the other direction).

Hopefully they will put another ship in B'more and maybe Carnival will too:D

Here is the press release about the renovated terminal:

http://www.marylandports.com/news/press/2006/NewCruiseTermPressRelease.pdf

Here is the announcement about the new Exec. Director for the MPA:

http://www.marylandports.com/news/press/2005/fbrnewbio3.pdf

Hey Doug....thought we lost you. Sue was sick as a dog all week after we got home. Told her she didn't drink enough!;)

My e-mail is Bunkie103@yahoo.com....we're looking to get some more people we work with together for a cruise next year, but not Easter weekend. Say hi to Lynn for us.

That would be great if Miracle came to Bmore again. We've cruised 5 times out of baltimore & love it. Your first night is a pleasant cruise down the Bay- you usually cross over the Bay-Bridge Tunnel around midnight. Day at Sea usually off of outer banks (so if fall/spring, is warm!).. we've then been in port a few times the next day-- bahamas, key west, miami are a few of the stops. (we even had Charleston once which was fun). This upcoming itinerary, leave on a Friday night & in San Juan Monday. I like the 2 sea days coming & going. Thanks -- hope to see you on a Carnival ship someday!

Well, here's more fuel for the fire. On RCCL's board there is a link to a Hampton Roads, VA newspaper saying the RCCL is sending Grandeur there from June to Sept. '08:mad: Now it looks like RCCL is pulling out of B'more, this is a real bummer (even though Norfolk is only about an hour further for me, the other direction).

Hopefully they will put another ship in B'more and maybe Carnival will too:D

You wouldn't have the link to that newspaper article, would you? Searched hamptonroads.com and couldn't find the story. Although I'd rather have a Carnival ship in Norfolk more than twice a year.....

Archived