passport problem also

BLONDIE35

I assume I won't get mine either in time for Alaksa in may...will a birth certificate suffice? The passport agency needed my only copy of my marriage liscence in order to change my name so now what do I do since my married name is different from my BC?? This sucks! I was told that to change my name I had to mail everything and not do it in person!

Currently, the law only states that you need a passport if you are flying into Canada (and Mexico and other countries, but we're only dealing with Canada here!). Are you sailing out of Seattle or Vancouver? If it is Vancouver, you will have to fly into Seattle (or Washington), or drive across the border.

It does not matter that you may only visit Canada for a day and that you may not even get off the ship during that one day, the requirements are still the same.

So, you'll probably be OK, or be able to work it out with just a BC for this trip. You may even want to call the govt. number to ask if they can get your passport to you in time, you still have a few weeks. Follow this link for more information:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/npic/npic_898.html

Blondie- I replied under your other post- please don't just assume you'll be OK- get another copy (another original) of your marriage license. Depending on how efficient the town clerk is, this may not take too long! Even if someone tells you they only needed a BC and ID last week, you never know when the USA will have another "scare" and up the level of security at the ports- which will make them scrutinize every piece of ID on every person!

Line up all your docs now, then relax and have a wonderful cruise- Alaska is beautiful!

Just contact the Vital Records office in the county where you were married, and see what it takes to get another certified copy of your marriage license.

Once you have that, I'd stop worrying about the passport for now, and if it will or won't arrive. Certified birth certificate, certified marriage license/certificate to show the name change, and driver's license, and you'll be good to go, traveling by land or sea into/out of Canada, for now.

Archived