Alaska cruise requirements???

BLONDIE35

You do not need a passport to go to Alaska, since it is a US state. But, you do need a passport (or currently a B/C and one other picture ID) to return to the US from Canada and almost all cruise ships have to make a stop in Canada. The only ones who don't are some small ones that only cruise Alaska and are American flagged ships.

When I booked my trip with Princess I was told I needed a passport and it had to be valid for 6 months after the sail date.

I think you had better check with your cruise line.

You need a passport anytime you travel outside the US. The cruises to Alaska enter Canada.

A passport is preferable, that being said there is at least a 10 week turn around time on the standard application. Expedited passports are also available at a premium. Please check with your cruise line or travel agent.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Definitely call your TA or cruiseline (since you don't mention where & when you're going). To leave (actually to re-enter) the USA, you need to prove your citizenship and your identity- these are two different things! A Passport proves both (which is why we cruisers usually recommend that you get one now rather than wait until it's finally a requirement).

If you don't have a passport, you will need an official Birth Cert to prove your citizenship (I'm assuming you were born in the USA). However, a Birth Cert doesn't prove identity, so you need an official picture ID, such as a Driver's License. This will prove identity, meaning they can compare your actual face to the pix on the license to show that you are the name listed on the license. However, a Driver's Licens doesn't prove citizenship.

So, if I'm not boring everyone yet with this convoluted post, to re-enter the USA, you need a BC AND a picture ID (Driver's License, etc). But now to your actual question! If the name on your BC is not the name on your Driver's License (or whatever picture ID you are using), then you need an official document to prove that the BC and ID are for the same person. If you are a married woman who changed her surname to her spouse's surname, then your BC and ID won't match unless you bring your marriage cert (make sure it's an original) to show the name change.

If you have been married more than once- and your name on the latest Marriage Cert is not your birth name- bring all docs that will show the connection between the name on the BC and the name on whatever picture ID you will use.

This is why a passport is so much easier! Have a great cruise!

Also be sure that you do not have any type of criminal record as Canada is denying entry to those with past offenses (including DUIs). If you have a record, you will need to request permission from Canada before you take the cruise. Failure to do so, may result in the cruise line denying you boarding privileges and you will end up eating the cost of the cruise.

Archived