Is Polynesian Cultural Center Worth a Visit

chachabell

I will have two post-cruise days in Honolulu after the Jan 30 POA cruise. We will go to the Arizona Memorial and hike Diamond Head. Is the Polynesian Cultural Center worth the time and effort to get there? What is the best way and how long should we plan to stay? Thanks.

By all means take the time to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is well worth the price and plan on spending most of the day there, and part of the evening. They have 'villages' with authentic displays, people and shows from all parts of the Pacific, concentrating on individual cultures. At noon, or thereabouts, there is a show floating down the river, consisting of dancing, singing, etc. Very colorful, entertaining and authentic. There is also a dinner show after dark and then an evening's entertainment, followed by a very spectacular volcano eruption.

I believe the center has buses that will transport you round trip from the Waikiki area.

After comparing the cost of the buses with the cost of four of us splitting a rental car, and with a desire to do some early morning touring before the Polynesian Cultural Center opens, we have decided to rent a car. What is the best route to the PCC? Most scenic? What things should not be missed?

Tom

I prefer taking the coast route to the center, rather than inland, but that's just because of my love of the ocean.

I think the noon show is a must see, as is the evening show. I'm pretty sure you can get the tickets tailored to whether you want dinner there or not. Seeing the seven villages is a must, but they can actually be covered fairly quickly. If you are really into history or culture then the Bishop Museum in Honolulu is the place to go. There's lots to see there.

If you have a car, you could probably go see the Arizona Memorial early in the morning. The Navy tour is the best - and it's free! And hiking up Diamond Head might only take an hour or so. (Be sure and bring a flashlight.) And then on up to the Polynesian Cultural Center. That would be a very full day and timing would have to depend on departure time of your ship. Hopefully you can do all. Enjoy!

Pebbles and I tried to do alot in one-day too, here's what we did:

We left for Diamondhead at 8:00am, by 10:00 we were on our way to a beach - the name escapes me - where we snorkeled until 11:30ish, then we left for the North shore, driving right up the middle (H2) - saw the pineapple plantations, the Pipeline, and then swung-over (via Rt. 83) to the PCC by 1:15. At 1:30, the water-boat show began... check the PCC website for times of events...

The PCC opens at 11:00am, and the rental car is the way to go. We had a fantastic time, really enjoyed meeting folks in the Hawaii villiage and the tree climbers, coconut cracking and fire-starting show in the Samoan villiage.

We chose to get tickets to the luau, which also was great, but the evening show is not to be missed... We followed the buses back to Waikiki, got to our room and in the sack by 11:30.....phew....

I would save the Arizona Memorial for the 2nd day as the lines and tickets are..unpredictable..., and if you have time after the Arizona Memorial, go to Lanikai Beach - on the other side of Diamondhead...

Takes lots of film or D-memory - you'll need it...

Archived