What Is Port Side?

I Know You Will Think I'm Stupid But Everyone Keeps Referring To Port Side, Is This The Docking Side And How Do You Know Which Side That Is?

Here you go.... the origin of the words port and starboard.....

Starboard - The origin of the term comes from old boating practices. Before ships had rudders on their centerline, they were steered by use of a specialized oar. This oar was held by a sailor located towards the stern (back) of the ship. However, like most of the rest of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the ship. The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered. The old English term steorbord descends from the Old Norse words stýri meaning “rudder” and borð meaning “side of a ship”. The modern term "steering wheel" comes from the same language root as "starboard" or "steer board".

Port - Similarly, the term for the left side of the boat, port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (i.e., the larboard or loading side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed. Because the words larboard and starboard sounded too similar to be easily distinguished, larboard was changed to port.

The starboard side of most naval vessels the world over is designated the 'senior' side. The officers' gangway or sea ladder is shipped on this side and this side of the quarterdeck is reserved for the captain. The flag or pennant of the ship's captain or senior officer in command is generally hoist on the starboard yard.

The easiest way to remember that port is left is that they both have four letters. Just in case you ever forget.:)

I love that tip. I used to be unable to remember them until someone pointed this out. I am never confused on the issue now.

I Know You Will Think I'm Stupid But Everyone Keeps Referring To Port Side, Is This The Docking Side And How Do You Know Which Side That Is?

Great question!! Have you heard of "POSH"?? Thats port out starboard home!! For back in the translantic days when there was no AC and had the shade on them! Just a little FYI:)

Port side is the left side of the ship. The docking side can vary depending on the port, but unless I'm mistaken, yes, it is generally the docking side.

The Port side of a ship is the left side when you are facing toward the Ship's Bow or front end. ! Bow (Forward)

Port

!

/ \

/ \ Starboard

! !

! !

\___/

Stern (Aft)

Hope this helps

Great question!! Have you heard of "POSH"?? Thats port out starboard home!! For back in the translantic days when there was no AC and had the shade on them! Just a little FYI:)

I think it's referring to the passage to India. Trans Atlantic from England "posh" would have one on the sunny side . . .

The easiest way to remember that port is left is that they both have four letters. Just in case you ever forget.:)

This isn't cruise related, but a couple other memory joggers are: Great Lakes - Remember HOMES Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie & Superior; and if you can't remember the song to determine what months have 30 or 31 days, use your knuckles.

Gregg

Archived