New to RCI from Disney

We have cruised on DCl 4 times, and came back from the Explorer in February. We all loved the Explorer and all of the activities, my girls are 10 and 12 and loved the ice skating, in line skating, the climbing walls. I really enjoyed the promenade, and the champagne bar.

The kids got a soda card card, I got a champagne card, we were all happy.

The magic is a very pretty ship, but we did enjoy the Explorer, as far as pros and cons.

Disney is better for shows, debarkation, Palo nothing comes close to the brunch.

RCCL is better for general activities, price, Labadee (I know most people won't agree with me, but we loved Labadee and thought it was an amazing island, with so much going on, loved that no one told us where to swim, and we could just walk around, look at crabs in pools, look at sea urchins)

Food was a tie, we will cruise RCCL again, and might cruise DCL again once the new ships are out, for our family RCCL is a now better cruise line.

...Labadee (I know most people won't agree with me, but we loved Labadee and thought it was an amazing island, with so much going on, loved that no one told us where to swim, and we could just walk around, look at crabs in pools, look at sea urchins)...

I haven't been on a Disney cruise, but my parents have (they loved it!). However, they thought the Disney island was nice, but too set up (ex: the underwater arrows for the snorkeling - it wasn't their thing). So, you're not the only one! I'm trying to talk them into a Freedom class cruise for my dad's birthday - I'd love to hear their opinions. :)

Hi again,

Just your humble thread starter. This has really turned into a great thread of info and idea sharing. My main reasons for switching from Disney to RCCL was my son will be 12 and the activities appeared more age appropriate and saving several thousand dollars on the cruise. We actually had booked our next cruise onboard our last but they still managed to really jack up the cruise prices in 2008.:rolleyes:

A few things that I'm still very curious about are Johnny Rockets, Portofino dining, and the eateries in the shopping promenade. Do you have to buy all of the food in the pub or is it included. I guess the nagging question is what do you have to pay for extra on the Mariner of the Seas that isn't included in your booking. That is besides the excursions and photos and such.

Oh and for the parents information, how does the arcade work, is set to using the SeaPass card?

Johnny Rockets is an all you can eat 50's diner and the cost is 3.95 plus tip. Shakes and sundaes and soda are all extra's.

Soda cards are also extra's 6.00 a day i think per person for the number of nights onboard.

Arcades: you can limit the spending by putting an amount on a card for them. Not real sure how that works .

The Seattles Best Coffee and the Ben and Jerrys are all extras but there was a soft serve ice cream on the pool deck free only open certain hours though.

Room service is free limited menu but tipping is encouraged.

Hope that helps and have a great cruise

Something I don't think I have seen mentioned is that the sandwiches and pastries on the promenade deck are "free." It seems they may have had pizza. Not as convenient as the ones on deck on DCL but I remember one day we got back from an excursion at an odd time and we grabbed something to eat there.

Also the parade down the promenade deck is a fun thing on RCCL. One of my goals is to someday get in a promenade overlook room.

I am going on my first cruise since DCL in May and it will be interesting to reflect on the differences from the other side of it. I don't find paying for soda cards an issue because the cruise itself is so much cheaper than DCL. But I may experience other things that make me long for DCL at any price!

We will be sailing on Carnival this time adding yet another ship to compare to

the Magic and Mariner.

With your screen name, it would be a hoot if you sailed with RCCL's Captain Johnny -- one of the passenger's favorite captains. Use the search function or read some Mariner reviews to find out all about him. He rides a scooter around the ship, rides a motorcyle off, has words of wisdome from his "Chinese Friend" during his daily announcements and gives lots of recognition to the crew. Folks love his "Good Morning, Good Morning" and his crew loves him. He really adds enjoyment to the cruise. We have sailed on Mariner 3 times (with him as Captain) and love the ship.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw this thread!:D The OP will never forget the Captain's name! LOL:D

Well we used Labadee as a beach day. Friends of ours went on the zip line, the wife loved it. The husband said it was too slow. ;) So there you have it, 2 people, same excursion, two totally different opinions.

I see that mentioned alot from people who haven't cruised RCCL and honestly, with the exception of the soda cards (which we never buy for 3 of us because my kids drink milk, fruit punch or juice and I drink iced tea) and Johnny Rockets ($3.95 surcharge)...there is nothing else really to be nickled and dimed over.

Some ships have specialty coffees and Energy shakes that you can buy (don't know if Explorer is one of them). But we could eat/drink all day long and never pay extra for anything.

Yes, we know that RCCL does. Don't know about Disney. But it would make sense for them to have someone monitor it since this seems to be the biggest cruising community board out there.

Yes, the Ex. does have specialty coffees to buy on the promanade or free coffee is available in the Cafe, Windjammer or dining room. Soda cards are 4.00 per child per day plus tip and 6.00 per day for adults plus tip but you buy them at the beginning of cruise when you board and you just show them to waiters and never sign for anything for unlimited soda throughout the cruise. Or like you said there is free milk, ice tea, lemonade, fruit punch for the kids too. There is Ben & Jerry's that charges for ice cream but there is also free frozen yogurt stations too and kids think it's just soft icecream and adults love it too:) They could choose to eat in a specialty resturant onboard for 20-25.00 a person but that's up to them and all cruiselines charge extra for specialty resturants or items and RCCL is no different from the others and people pay for drinks on all cruises. I never felt RCCL was nickle and diming anyone either and you can eat and drink all day and participate in activities and use all the amenities and it doesn't cost anything and it's all included in the fare price. They simply offer choices for alternatives if passengers want to buy specialty things and they can choose to spend extra money if they want to. :)

We loved Disney can't say enough about it. While some will disagree with me, in my opinion the food on rccl was much better than Disney. Shows none can compare with Disney. I just think with small children Disney is the best for entertainment , but for older kids rccl is better. No question rccl is the best value for the money. Some people would spend the kids college fund to go on Disney before the would any other cruise. It is basically just like hotels it is just a personal preference.

I wanted to throw an opinion in too....

We are Disney fanatics. We own Disney Vacation Club (their timeshare) and we have gone yearly for the last 10 yrs.

I would LOVEEEEE to go on a Disney cruise because of one thing, its DISNEY !!:p but.....

in all honesty as much as I love Disney I don't think its worth twice the price (almost) as our RCCL cruise. Thats my opinion....I rather have my JS on RCCL and have more cash....thats the true honest reason.

I know I want WDW for for my disney fix and I want RCCL for my cruise fix. Its ok....its ok to have a love for a brand other than Disney. ;) ;)

Archived