Drydock for Dawn Announced

NCL_Cruiser

MIAMI, March 30, 2007 – Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today announced that Norwegian Dawn will be entering a previously unscheduled dry dock on May 29 to conduct necessary repairs on a thrust bearing in the ship’s ABB-manufactured azipod propulsion system. During routine inspections, Norwegian Dawn’s engineers identified localized wear in the thrust bearing and in the last few weeks, Norwegian Dawn’s itinerary has been changed to reduce speed to limit further wear on the bearing until NCL could schedule the dry dock. This issue has affected only the speed of the vessel and has no impact on the safe operation of the ship.

As a result of the unexpected dry dock, NCL is cancelling two upcoming Norwegian Dawn sailings on May 26 and June 2, 2007. Based on the early scheduling of the dry dock, NCL does not anticipate any further itinerary changes to the ship’s itineraries between April 11 and May 26 prior to the dry dock.

NCL is extending a full refund and a 25 percent future cruise credit to guests currently booked and deposited on Norwegian Dawn’s May 26 or June 2 sailings. In addition, these guests will receive special incentive offers for a range of other NCL sailings. Guests who want to rebook their reservation for an alternate cruise should contact NCL at 866-234-5613.

A two-night Memorial Day weekend cruise has been added to Norwegian Dawn’s schedule prior to entering dry dock. The cruise will depart on Saturday, May 26 round trip from New York. The special Memorial Day weekend cruise will go on sale on Wednesday, April 4. Following the cruise, Norwegian Dawn will sail to Boston where she will enter dry dock for the necessary repairs. The ship will resume its scheduled itinerary on June 9, 2007.

The company sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this change and would like to thank our guests and travel partners for their patience and understanding.

I'm sorry for those affected by this necessary drydock to repair the azipod. The earliest NCL could book a drydcok is two months, which is three months shorter than the Rosie charter notice. Two weeks cancelled, with a short holdiay no where cruise added. Similar compensation.

During routine inspections, Norwegian Dawn’s engineers identified localized wear in the thrust bearing and in the last few weeks, Norwegian Dawn’s itinerary has been changed to reduce speed to limit further wear on the bearing until NCL could schedule the dry dock. This issue has affected only the speed of the vessel and has no impact on the safe operation of the ship.

As a result of the unexpected dry dock, NCL is cancelling two upcoming Norwegian Dawn sailings on May 26 and June 2, 2007. Based on the early scheduling of the dry dock, NCL does not anticipate any further itinerary changes to the ship’s itineraries between April 11 and May 26 prior to the dry dock.

Just curious, since it was "localized wear" in the bearing and not a complete engine breakdown, are they saying since they were able to book a drydock so soon that they're planning on running full speed again on the remaining cruises until they dock her?

I understand this was a necessary thing, but it really sux...Anybody have any recommendations for cruises at similar dates, leaving from the northeast (Boston, Philly, Baltimore...)??

thanks

there is the Spirit leaving NYC June 2nd to the Carribean, but I think with this cancellation, it is booking fast. You should check it out, soon

No. The insurance company won't allow NCL to speed up the ship. She will be slow until her drydock. That is why the sooner the better for a drydock.

That makes sense, but since they said:

"Based on the early scheduling of the dry dock, NCL does not

anticipate any further itinerary changes to the ship’s itineraries

between April 11 and May 26 prior to the dry dock."

I was hoping that meant they had found a way to return to normal operation.

Well, I have to admit I was holding my breath when I saw this thread, and am very relieved our cruise is still on, but sorry for those who were cancelled. Do you read this announcement that they are going to go full speed now since they know when the dry dock is?

I understand this was a necessary thing, but it really sux...Anybody have any recommendations for cruises at similar dates, leaving from the northeast (Boston, Philly, Baltimore...)??

thanks

Many people including me LOVE the Majesty. You could try that out of Boston. I think the itinerary is much better than the Dawn as three days in Bermuda is great.

Many people including me LOVE the Majesty. You could try that out of Boston. I think the itinerary is much better than the Dawn as three days in Bermuda is great.

Thanks...we're looking at both the Majesty and the Crown (from Philly). We have concerns about both due to the fact that they're on the older and smaller side (we were really looking forward to the "floating resort" atmosphere people describe on the Dawn).

Dotcom - thanks for the tip on the Spirit. Unfortunately, June 2 doesn't work for us. We're actually trying to get on the May 19th sailing on the Spirit - already have a call into the TA. My only concern is that they're not allowing re-books until Monday.

The good thing is that they found only localized wear in the thrust bearings. Thus NCL Will be able to speed up the boat to make all of their itineraries until the drydock. NCL is lucky to schedule a drydock very quickly. Two months is fast in the shipping industry.

I commend NCL for being careful with the azipod during the last several weeks, along with the insurance company. It reflects much about a person or company how they take care of their equipment, NCL showed it cared more about its azipod than it did keeping everyone happy by slowing the ship down.

thanks

Carnival has the Miracle doing an 8-night from Manhattan; then there's Explorer of the Seas leaving from Bayonne, NJ doing at 9-night to the Caribbean and a 5-night to Bermuda. And Princess has the Crown Princess sailing from Brooklyn on a 9-night (at least I think it's still the Crown). Don't know the exact dates. Celebrity used to have the Zenith sailing the 7-night to Bermuda, also from Bayonne. Don't know if that's still happening, heard they were making a change. Lots of possibilities.

If the Dawn is coming to Boston as the NCL web page says, it looks like it will be coming Boston Ship Repair, LLC.

Based on the NCL Fact Sheet about the Dawn and the Dry Dock size shown on there web page, she will fit.

http://bostonship.com/home.html

I didn't even realize they were still in business. Maybe the Dawn will be going there.

I'm sorry for those affected by this necessary drydock to repair the azipod. The earliest NCL could book a drydcok is two months, which is three months shorter than the Rosie charter notice. Two weeks cancelled, with a short holdiay no where cruise added. Similar compensation.

From what I understand, the fix is complicated. What happens if they are not finished in time for June 9th sailing?

For those of you affected, be glad the line is doing the right thing. We had the unfortunate experience of being on the Celebrity Horizon when the ship really needed to be drydocked for repairs, the stabilizing system was not working, and the experience wound up being horrendous. I wish Celebrity had done the right thing.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=1+Black+Falcon+Ave,+Boston,+Massachusetts+02210,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Map showing Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston. If you click on "Satellite", you can see the Dry Dock. Don't know when that pic was taken, but you can zoom in and see a cruise ship in the dry dock. With that blue stack it looks like a small NCL ship, maybe the Crown. It only takes up half the space of the dry dock. I once saw the QE2 in there, so I'm sure the Dawn will fit.

Eddie

http://www.google.com/maps?q=1+Black+Falcon+Ave,+Boston,+Massachusetts+02210,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Map showing Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston. If you click on "Satellite", you can see the Dry Dock. Don't know when that pic was taken, but you can zoom in and see a cruise ship in the dry dock. With that blue stack it looks like a small NCL ship, maybe the Crown. It only takes up half the space of the dry dock. I once saw the QE2 in there, so I'm sure the Dawn will fit.

Eddie

I have to look - they did dry dock the Majesty in boston last time.

I have to look - they did dry dock the Majesty in boston last time.

That's not the Majesty. There's no smilely face on the bow. The Majesty doesn't have a large swiming pool aft. The Crown has a swiming pool aft, and the ship in the photo has a swiming pool aft. Hmmm.

Archived