Dinner attire for 8 year old son

Tangles973

Two questions: 1--we requested late seating with dinner, is Camp Carnival usually open during dining room hours (can mom and dad eat w/o the kids now and then)? 2--My son has outgrown his winter clothes/dress slacks....pretty difficult to find any new ones this time of the year....would kaki shorts and/or navy shorts (flat front, no cargos, not casual) and a button up or collared golf shirt be acceptable? Thanks in advance!

My 8yo son sailed with us on NCL's Pearl last week. I brought both pants and shorts for him; however, he only wore the pants one evening. As long as the shorts are longer, I do not think they expect the kids to be in pants.

When we were on Carnival two years ago, Camp Carnival was open until 10pm (without paying an extra fee). We have always taken the early dinner seating so that he could join us for the FIRST part of dinner. We simply had the waiter/waitress bring his meal when bringing our appetizers, then when he was finished one of us would run him to Camp Carnival before our entrees arrived. Your 9yo may enjoy the dining room experience, especially the nights that the wait staff sings and dances. (I really missed that on NCL this past week!)

Enjoy your cruise!

I wouldn't chance short in the dining room in the evening. The maitre 'd could turn you away, and I also think you might feel out of place. You can always get khakis at Old Navy and they come in Navy and Tan. I just got some great deals on nicer trousers for my son at http://www.childrensplace.com. The overstocks section of Lands End often has great deals too. If your town has a childrens resale store they are a gold mine for navy and tan trousers. Lots of folks with kids in private school sell the childrens out grown cloths....lots of nice white dress shirts too!

Well, the suggested attire applies to children, as well as adults, so when they say "no shorts in the dining room at dinner time" I wouldn't put my kids in shorts. I mean, unless he was a toddler or younger. It is easy to find inexpensive dress pants for boys any time of year. Resale shops are your friend. LOTS of people have had to buy things for a special occasion that only gets worn once or twice and then sold. A couple pair of pants will get him through a whole week, since he will most likely want out of them as soon as dinner is over each night!

Two questions: 1--we requested late seating with dinner, is Camp Carnival usually open during dining room hours (can mom and dad eat w/o the kids now and then)? 2--My son has outgrown his winter clothes/dress slacks....pretty difficult to find any new ones this time of the year....would kaki shorts and/or navy shorts (flat front, no cargos, not casual) and a button up or collared golf shirt be acceptable? Thanks in advance!

You've already gotten answers and suggestions on the dress code, so won't comment on that. But, as far as whether mom and dad can eat without the kids now and then--yes! It used to be the kids could eat with Camp Carnival (they reserve part of the buffet) on only formal nights. But, since our third cruise, they've had dinner for the kids every night if they wanted to eat with them. We let DD decide, but we usually get at least one evening for DH and me. ;) But, I don't think get even one on our cruise this summer--DD has already announced she wants to eat with us and try some "strange food." Last cruise she tried escargot--didn't like it, but she tried it! :)

Cheers!

Jayne

I usually buy a pair of navy cargo pants in "the childrens place" for my now 6 and 8 yr old boys. they are usually priced $2 for $25 and work for Cmas/Easter/cub scouts/family gatherings....year round.

What a deal!

I feel they need to wear pants in the dining room..what I really need to do is work on their manners...they are very "loud" talkers and it is sometimes stressful at a restaurant..

I will start tonight, we cruise in 43 days!!!

I found inexpensive cargo pants at Walmart for my two boys. I also bought them some 'hawaiian' type shirts that they think are really cool for cruising.

I try not to buy any clothes that they wouldn't wear to school. I know some kids bring suits and ties, etc. and they look totally adorable! If I had more $$$ I would probably do that too, but I don't.

Also, like the previous poster, I wouldn't count on being able to wear shorts in the DR. If they change their clothes right after dinner, they can wear the same pants for a couple of days. You might be able to get thru the cruise with only 2 pair....

Have fun!

I live in a small town also and Wal-mart is my friend. I have found outfits (pants/shirt/and tie) for my boys on clearance for $9. Also, They have shirts with ties for around $7, short sleave polo shirts on clearance now for $5, and very nice dress pants for $11 in tan, blue, and black. They will have to repeat wearing the pants on a 7 day cruise but oh well. Both my boys can hardly wait to eat in the dining room and have been practicing using their best manners at the dinner table every night. Neither one of them wants to eat at camp carnival because they do not want to miss the grown up food. My youngest son 7 told his teacher that the kids in the class were not very good with their manners and should go on a cruise so they could improve. We will see if he remembers what he should do next week!

I just bought a brand new full tuxedo set for my 4 year old son for a total of $28 including shipping on ebay. The seller has all sizes available. Do a search for boys tuxedo. My son will probably only wear it for the two formal nights on this cruise before he grows out of it but it is worth it to me. The pictures will be amazing.

I wouldn't put shorts on my DS in the dinign room at that age. He will be 4 on our upcoming cruise, and I think he's old enough now to start wearing pants every night.

I second the suggestion of Land's End Overstocks. Also, after Easter you will probably find some nice dress clothes on clearance at a bunch of places.

Archived