Fun Pass problems

Avril

My boyfriend and I are sailing on Carnival's Conquest in February 2008. I was reading another thread on here a few days ago where someone said that they can refuse boarding if 1 letter of someones name is inconsistant with the booking/cruise docs and passport/birth certificate. I was filling out our "Fun Pass" and I noticed a problem and was wondering if anyone else had/has the same problem and what they did/are doing about it. I called my TA and he said not to worry, everything was fine but I worry anyway. Here's the problem:

My boyfriend's full name is Christopher Charabaruk (the C at the beginning of his last name is silent) but on the "Fun Pass" form on Carnival's website, it is spelt Christophe Charabaruk. :eek: What should I do? Has anyone else ever had this problem? My TA said that it had to do with the length of his name and that when he checked on arnival's system, it was ok. My problem is, I'm a huge worry wart. :o

I would have the TA check on it and make sure that it is spelled correctly. These regulations are true for any type of air or sea travel. Your name has to be the same on all documents. I always book directly through Carnival so I am not sure if you would have access the the reservation information online or not. If you do, you can change the name yourself.

I don't know about when you book with a TA as I booked with a carnival pvp but when I looked at our info, they had my DH's birthdate wrong but there was an option at the top to edit it and I did. I would definately get it changed myself cause even one letter difference is technically a different name. Your TA should be able to help you with this easily.

This is what the Cruise information site says:

Cruise documents

The cruise line will issue you with your final documentation upon final payment and will send them to your travel agent or directly to you two to four weeks prior to departure. Examine all your cruise documents for accuracy (correct cabin number, sailing date, and dining arrangements) and make sure that names are spelled correctly. If your name on the cruise line ticket does not match with the name on your passport, the cruise line is well within it’s right not to allow you to board the ship. If there is something wrong or you do not understand, ask your travel agent or the cruise line immediately.

Guest YesitDonna

It is due to the length of the first name. My Fiance has the same thing with every cruise because of the length of the name, not a worry at all. They can never fit the D at the end of his name.

Last 3 cruises I have been "Tim" Of course my legal name is Timothy, and this has not caused me any issues. Even with going to Europe in 2005.

This is a little off topic here, but I recall having to sign my taxes as Tim one year, and the next being Timothy. When I closed on my house, I had to do all kinds of variants.

Tim, Tim A. Timothy, Timothy A.

In summary I don't think that would matter, as it hasn't mattered for me. This might be different as Tim is common for Timothy.

I'd tell them if they gave me any grief that the IRS has accepted both Tim and Timothy, as well as it is on file with the deed to my house :) I guess I will see in May if the "Tim" name will be an issue.

It is due to the length of the first name. My Fiance has the same thing with every cruise because of the length of the name, not a worry at all. They can never fit the D at the end of his name.

So your Fiance has always been allowed to board the ship? And his name was spelt right on your cruise docs and his sail and sign card?

Thanks so much people. :D I feel so much better now. I just knew my fellow CCers would have the answer, they always do!! :D

I emailed my TA to get him to double check but from what you people have said, Chris and I will be just fine.

Thanks a lot!! :D

He should change his legal name to Chris so it will fit!

(Now, you DO know I'm just having a little fun with you:D .)

AGREED!! :D

And yes, I do know you're having a little fun with me. :D And I'm having a little fun with you right back!! :p

I have traveled in the past using my middle name as my given w/o problems until TSA got involved so now I have to use my legal first name and never respond when someone calls me by it. I haven't ever used my first name including schools, military and tax returns. "We're from the government and we're here to help screw up anything we can". I still fly using my middle name w/o a problem.

Thanks so much guys and girls, ladies and gentlemen. :D My TA has cleared it all up. :D He said that because of the length of my boyfriend's 1st name, Carnival doesn't have enough room in their system. He said that it happens all the time with people named Christopher and there won't be a problem at embarkation. :D That was exactly what I wanted/needed to hear!! :D

• 4 months later...

My wife is from Latvia, and her passport is in her maiden name. Her greencard is in my name. The question is...which name do you think i should put? Right now i have her married name on all the documents. any thoughts?

My wife is from Latvia, and her passport is in her maiden name. Her greencard is in my name. The question is...which name do you think i should put? Right now i have her married name on all the documents. any thoughts?

You need to speak with someone in an official capacity about this. I had exactly the same thing many years ago when my wife (who is from Bulgaria and is NOW a citizen) had her green card in her maiden name, her passport in her maiden name, and her airline ticket in her married name. We had a terrible time trying to explain this when I spoke English, my wife spoke Bulgarian, and the Customs official spoke Czech. We were shouting and waving our wedding rings in his face until he finally got sick of us. But that was not the worst. We then had an overnight stop-over in Rome, and our TA had told us all she needed for an overnight was her green card. NOT SO! Even for one night, she needed a Visa, and this was late Saturday night at the Rome airport and the Bulgarian consulate would not be open until Monday. We had to explain everything to the chief of police at the Rome airport (yes, their uniforms really ARE made by Armani! and I've never seen so many machine guns in one place in my life). He finally gave us a hand-written letter allowing us to stay overnight but we had to be out of Italy within 48 hours.

In short, you need to make certain not only of your wife's identification, but if she will need any special documentation for the various ports you will be visiting.

I don't mean to scare you, but these incidents wre all very traumatic at the time they happened. Yes, they are treasured memories now, but that is only because they happened a long time ago.;)

Hi, don't worry about being a worry wart, we are all that way to a certain degree...wanting to make sure everything goes just right...

As for your BF's name, yes Christopher is a long name and it doesn't fit on their documents...The same thing happened to my sister's boyfriend when we went about 2.5 years ago and he had abolutely no problems getting on or off the ship or using his sale and sign card.

So, go ahead and ease your worries and have a great time on your cruise!!

Archived