You MAY Still Bring Non-Alcoholic Drinks On RCI

I was just on a cruise ship tour in FLL and spoke to an RCCL rep about the policy. A few years ago they had a liberal policy of what they allowed to be brought on board. A group of kids that were underage smuggled booze in water bottles in their luggage onboard.

One of the kids got terribly drunk and fell off the ship. When they looked back at the video tapes, they could see him stumbling drunkenly around the deck and then try and sit on the railing and fall backwards off. After that, they stopped allowing alcohol to be brought onboard.

I believe they also had huge lawsuits against them from the family.

That is why RCCL is so stringent on what they allow to be brought onboard now. And I really can't blame them.

Roadnut- Now before you say that make sure you get the facts right. The day before the TSA implemented that a plot was foiled in the UK to use slurry (liquid) bombs to blow up airplanes over the Atlantic. Now in my opinion that is a petty darn good reason.

We also returned from the Rhapsody of the Sea on April 1 and had a different experience in regard to the non-alchoholic liquids. We don't drink alchoholic beverages and did not bring or attempt to bring any of those onboard. However, I had a bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling cherry with me in our carry-on for our sailaway toast and had no problem with that--nothing was even said. Also, we had in our luggage a 12 pack of Cherry Coke Zero and a 12 pack of Ozarka water which came through without any problem. I didn't notice that the luggage had been opened, although it is possible it was, but if so, it was packed neatly back --the packs of soda and water were double wrapped in plastic and remained that way when we received it.

My SIL had packed a dive knife in her suitcase and that was held at security. We received a call to come down--with security recognizing that it was a dive knife but indicating that they needed to hold it there until it was needed at port. When we went down, there were dozens of suitcases in the area being held, with some passengers opening some of their luggage. Three pieces of luggage with dive knives were in a different area, including my SIL's luggage. Although it was unlocked, they had her open the luggage and get it out. They then gave her a receipt and instructed her to call security for it when disembarking at the ports for the scuba excursions. We commented on the huge amount of luggage at the other area and security said it all contained alcoholic beverages.

In addition, at each port we took off several bottles of the Ozarka water and my SIL took off her quart sized water bottle filled with water. Each time we brought back some of the bottles of Ozarka water in the sealed bottle and no problem bringing that on. My SIL had to open the lid at Grand Cayman and Cozumel and let them smell her water in her water bottle, but she was allowed to bring it on--the first time she commented about it and was told some people were attempting to smuggle on alcohol in their water bottles. We saw people bringing bottles of alcohol on at the ports and they were having to check them in at a table for storage until the end of the cruise.

Just to make sure... does that mean if we brought it on board initially (like in checked luggage as you did), that was okay? Last time we brought soda back from Catalina Island, but if we can't, then we'll make sure to just bring it on board in San Pedro. Thanks.

On the Monarch 4 nighter last year, we brought on (from San Diego) a twelve pack of beer. A twelve pack of coke and sprite. A case of waters, chips and candy. Walked right on the ship. This was in Feb. 06. Don't know if things have gotton tighter since then but are going to try it again in July 07 and Jan 08.

It sounds like you have the same prescription that I have. :D

Uh oh. Now I'm worried again. Was it a full size bottle or one of the tinier flat bottles?

RDBRADLEYJR - we are LOAO right now!!!! too funny.....you go boy!!! and watch that medical condition closely you may need to have your medication readjusted

Well turns out she knows how to navigate this thread. According to her I now how an acute case of "noassatall" which is very expensive to cure according to her. Looks like an upgrade..... Now I know why she wrote the prescription on a blank check. Well ya'll have a great evening...I need to get my first prescription refilled! :o

On the Monarch 4 nighter last year, we brought on (from San Diego) a twelve pack of beer. A twelve pack of coke and sprite. A case of waters, chips and candy. Walked right on the ship. This was in Feb. 06. Don't know if things have gotton tighter since then but are going to try it again in July 07 and Jan 08.

When I brought on the water, ginger ale and coke (now that I think back, it was a lot of stuff) from Catalina Island, it was March 2006. I'm going to warn my family members to just bring it on board in their checked luggage at San Pedro. We're going next Monday, so I'll post again.

I fully intend on carrying on my soda in sealed plastic bottles instead of cans. I am also wrapping them in a ziploc bag. Don't want to risk a punctured aluminum can! I guess that I can understand the policy regarding liquids... but it still is no excuse for them to charge $1.73 for a can of soda. I would be willing to pay more like .75 for it instead of carrying it on. Who knows... if the suitcase gets too full with clothes, etc... maybe I will just stick to lemonade for the entire cruise!

I will be placing a note in my "shoe and toiletry" checked bag warning THEM to not mess with my things. Everything is carefully packed so my high heels won't get damaged and my "toiletries" won't get broken. The note states this very clearly and I will put it at the top of the bag under the locked zipper. I look forward to tomorrow and seeing what happens to my note and bag and luggage contents. :D

Roadnut- Now before you say that make sure you get the facts right. The day before the TSA implemented that a plot was foiled in the UK to use slurry (liquid) bombs to blow up airplanes over the Atlantic. Now in my opinion that is a petty darn good reason.

And even though I didn't go into details, yes, that is basically the reason. But, I said it the way I did because A) These were European airports where the devices were suspected to being brought aboard, and B) There were no threats or reasoning to believe that people were going to try this in the United States. Thus, the hasty decision.

Why I relate this to cruise ships is that on an airplane if if something were to happen, you have a few hundred people directly affected, along with anyone on the ground. On a cruise ship, you have a few THOUSAND people in a fairly tight area.

Thus, the possible concern.

We cruise on EOS next Sunday. I have a note (that my doctor wrote for free) on a prescription pad that states "It is medically necessary that I be allowed to bring bottled water on board". I know that some people on this thread think this is all b***s*** but again, like I said earlier, I spoke directly to RCI and depending on what the attitude is of the RCI staff at boarding on the 15th, I know that I will be allowed to board with my 2 cases of water. Just wanted to help others have a smooth boarding to.:rolleyes:

I inquired directly to customer relations at RCCL and they sent me back an email regarding my question. Below is their email:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean International does not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sheila Whedon

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-3YI9M4]

• Administrators

P.S. - The recent cruise critic news article also had me concerned when it stated:

"Carnival's not even the first line to implement such a restriction. In a little noticed policy shift, Royal Caribbean already prohibits bringing nonalcoholic beverages onboard."

We're going to look into this again, but I can assure you that we obtained this information directly from Royal Caribbean and we did not simply call the Customer Service phone number to ask. Stay tuned,

Laura

• Administrators
A recent cruise critic article also states that the newly refurbished Majesty of the Seas charges for food in the new Compass Deli. This has been confirmed by several cruise critic members to not be true.

Hi there!

We'll also be checking on this as well. Ditto on the "Stay Tuned for More" gig...

Laura

Are you joking or serious? I really hope you can bring that with you.

At this point, I'm serious. I wish I weren't but with all the talk about NO drinks being permitted on some cruise lines - RCI being included in some information - I'm bringing 2 bottles of water that are sealed as a test. And they had better not be tampered with when I receive them or someone (RCI) will be replacing them.

I don't buy open boxes of tylenol at the store - I don't drink bottles of water that are opened by unknown baggage personnel.

I would never attempt to bring a case of water or soda. But they shouldn't have a problem with a few bottles or cans of anything for private consumption. It's not like we are putting up a stand in the hall and selling them. Some people actually have a preference for the kind of water they drink - spring, distilled, purified or that drinking water that has all the stuff in it just like city water. Doctor's orders shouldn't be required.

And lets face it..or maybe RCI should face it...most people aren't going to bring on much of anything - if anything. Shoes are heavy enough to lug to the cruise port. :D

We're going to look into this again, but I can assure you that we obtained this information directly from Royal Caribbean and we did not simply call the Customer Service phone number to ask. Stay tuned,

Laura

We all know how RCI is consistent with their rule enforcement, too. :D

Laura, you also might want to check on these "cruise critic" branded tickers. They are and have been having trouble loading. They drag out the page loading. I can tell by reading the information bar at the bottom of the screen about what is trying to load. Trying to scroll a page while they are loading leaves colorful vertical stripes on the screen. I've been told by others that they are having the same problem. It wasn't an issue until people started using the cc tickers. And it's not an issue if I turn off signatures. The other brands of tickers load right up.

Laura

Nothing like pulling out the big guns to ask for us! Thanks! :D

Please ask them where they plan on posting said info for cruisers.

DH uses distilled water in a CPAP machine. Distilled water is generally sold in gallon bottles, which is way too big for a 7 night cruise. We usually put the distilled water in a 1 quart spring water bottle when travelling - obviously the 1 quart bottle will have been opened. Will we have a problem? Do we need a doctor's note (seriously)? We sail RCI in just over 2 weeks. Any input is very appreciated (leery of calling RCI if they're anything like the Princess CSRs, most of whom are clueless about rules and regs). Thanks to all for your input.

DH uses distilled water in a CPAP machine. Distilled water is generally sold in gallon bottles, which is way too big for a 7 night cruise. We usually put the distilled water in a 1 quart spring water bottle when travelling - obviously the 1 quart bottle will have been opened. Will we have a problem? Do we need a doctor's note (seriously)? We sail RCI in just over 2 weeks. Any input is very appreciated (leery of calling RCI if they're anything like the Princess CSRs, most of whom are clueless about rules and regs). Thanks to all for your input.

I would send a fax or email to RCI about the CPAP machine and water so that they have it on their records. If you booked through a TA, have them add the info to your reservations.

On Princess, my dad had to have paperwork filled out before the cruise to be able to use his CPAP machine in his cabin. I do not know about RCI since my DH and I are going alone this time.

I have a hard time with the search feature, but I remember a while back someone saying they contacted RCI ahead of time about the CPAP machine and if I remeber correctly, RCI provided the distilled water (no need to bring some from home.)

Ann, Thanks for this advice - I never even thought of letting the cruise line know about the machine, since we've done it so often. I will contact our TA tomorrow. It will be great not having to lug the distilled water around.:)

I use a CPAP (don't always bring it on vacation though), and I bring my prescription and doctor's note with me, mostly in case someone wonders what it is, but I use regular water, so it's never been an issue. Hmm, if RCI will give it to him, that'd be much better!

The whole general point of my quoting that and my post was...

who are you to say that we CAN bring such and such on board.

Wow, apparently my e-mail notification of new posts to this thread got accidently changed because I had no idea there were any new post beyond this on. I'm sure they will be an interesting read.

To answer your question, I'm just the guy that started a thread with the point of saying according to the documents it appears you "MAY" still bring non-alcoholic beverages on board. The threads subject was written the way it was written so that others would hopefully get interested in my post and possible voice their opinions on what the documents say and possibly point me in the direction of some specific language memorializing the apparent "little known policy shift."

Each person has had different experiences at different times. You can fight it till your blue. The plain and simple of it is they can refuse anyone boarding at anytime for ANY reason.

As far as the rest of your comment, I agree with every single word in it.

Archived