Large Groups On Your Cruise?

cruisecd

I've been reading a lot about people concerned about not being aware of large groups on their ships until they sail. Many people have raised issues about these groups 'taking over the ship' or the cruise line closing venues (i.e. lounges) on the ship to accomodate the groups.

In the spirit of planning ahead, I have a couple of questions for the group here at CC:

1. What is the best way to find out about a group on your sailing?
  2. For those of you that have had this experience, did it occur more frequently on 7 day (or less) sailings?
  3. Seems like some groups 'might' be more intrusive to other passengers than others (if they are at all - not sure). Any type of groups to avoid based on your experiences?

Thanks in advance ~

Go to google and type in your cruise ship and the date you're sailing. It's not the greatest method, but you might get a hit on a group. Don't bother calling the cruise line because they absolutely won't give out that information. They don't want mass cancellations if passengers find out they're sailing with 1000 or so of some special group.

I don't think it would be appropriate for anyone to specifically say what group they don't wish to sail with. But suffice it to say, there can be some groups that some might not feel especially great about. When a group cruises, they can take over some public rooms of a ship and they might take over places like lounges or bars, which would prohibit passengers from using those rooms. I was on Celebrity with about 400 travel agents and they did take over the theater and some lounges, which caused the usual activities to have to be moved, which did make for some problems, as those rooms weren't large enough to handle all the passengers who wanted to take part in the activities.

Groups tend to sail more on 7 day cruises rather than longer ones.

Go to google and type in your cruise ship and the date you're sailing. It's not the greatest method, but you might get a hit on a group. Don't bother calling the cruise line because they absolutely won't give out that information. They don't want mass cancellations if passengers find out they're sailing with 1000 or so of some special group.

I don't think it would be appropriate for anyone to specifically say what group they don't wish to sail with. But suffice it to say, there can be some groups that some might not feel especially great about. When a group cruises, they can take over some public rooms of a ship and they might take over places like lounges or bars, which would prohibit passengers from using those rooms. I was on Celebrity with about 400 travel agents and they did take over the theater and some lounges, which caused the usual activities to have to be moved, which did make for some problems, as those rooms weren't large enough to handle all the passengers who wanted to take part in the activities.

Groups tend to sail more on 7 day cruises rather than longer ones.

Thanks Kitty!

Archived