HELP! Jewel OTS VS Radiance OTS???

Help, planning a trip to the Eastern Caribbean in Jan. 2008. I know there is not much difference in the itinerary, but was wondering which is the better ship or itinerary. Also wanted to know which side to book my cabin on for the best views of the Eastern Caribbean. This will be my 1st eastern caribbean cruise. Thanks for any help or suggestions!!! I know it will be a blast cruising is always a blast!

These ships are twin sisters, but Jewel is the newer one. They are wonderful ships, IMHO the most beautiful afloat!

You will enjoy the Caribbean. But the ocean looks the same from either side of the ship!;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

Jewel is newer, but Radiance's staff has won "Best in Fleet" 5 years running... As for which side of the ship, I'd ask the question on one of the boards for those ships on those itineraries. They can tell you which way the ship docked - facing in or out. In St. Thomas and St. Maarten, most people want to be facing west, toward the island, for the views. In St. Maarten, the eastern view is over an industrial area (not great). In Nassau, Radiance docked in, so the right (starboard) side had the view of Nassau while the port side was looking at us on Explorer...

We have cruised on both Jewel and Radiance and also Brilliance They are identical with the exception of decor and the fact the Jewel is the newest makes not a drop of difference - they are all in tip top condition. Radiance, for the last 2years has been voted "best" in the fleet, a reputation that seems to spring from a happy, willing crew whose attitude permeates the whole cruise atmosphere. And yes, the ocean looks the same from either side; you dont really cruise close enough to land until you are almost at the island of the day to make any difference.:)

Either ship is fabulous, but I understand Radiance tends to be a little less expensive.

Why would the Radiance be less expensive then the Jewel? Are you referring to the price of the cruise itself, or the cost of items on board like spa and drinks? thanks.

we,ve cruised on both a found them almost identical in food , etc. the Jewel being newer. However, the Captain on the Radiance is hilarious and keeps you laughing with his loudspeaker announcements. We were told by members of the crew that it is one of the most popular to work on because of the captain.

Why would the Radiance be less expensive then the Jewel? Are you referring to the price of the cruise itself, or the cost of items on board like spa and drinks? thanks.

The price of the cruise itself. I think that the other prices are identical across the fleet. I remember looking at some Radiance sailings that were virtually identical to Jewel and they were anywhere from $50-150 less depending on whether it was the 6- or 8-night itinerary. Not a huge chunk of change in the overall scheme, but $50 is $50 after all...

I have only been on Radiance, but I want to second the friendliness of the ship. The captain is amazing, but of course there is not guarantee that Cpt Loekling will be back on the radiance for the winter/spring season 2007/2008 I don't think you can go wrong whatever you chose as these are beautiful ships - go with the cheapest.

Really liked the shower door on the Jewel. Also,this ship will really make a difference if you are a smoker. On the Jewel, you really CAN smoke on all open decks, starboard side. This includes the decks behind the Windjammer, which are very comfortably furnished and pleasant, unlike most other areas which allow smoking. You won't feel like you're being ostracized (sp)and relegated to only the most undesirable areas. On the Radiance and Brilliance, there are no ashtrays on open decks except deck 5 and the pool deck, under the roof at the far outer edges of the deck. I suppose one could put out cigarettes on the deck or flip them overboard, on all the other open decks, but I think this is totally unacceptable. This cruise was far better for us than the Radiance or Brilliance.:)

We were on the Jewel this past January on the Eastern Caribbean cruise. We had a port side cabin and the only port that we did not look at the island was in St. Maarten the ship docked on the port side and we looked out on a P&O Cruise ship, the rest of the time we have beautiful view of the islands.

We loved the Jewel but I think it's a toss up I know that Jewel does not do Antigua for the 2007/2008 season but Radiance does it up to you.

Christine

First Thank you all for the information!!!!

Great News, I booked the a port side balcony cabin on the Radiance for Jan. 5th!!!!

If I could ask one more question how is the weather in Jan. in the Eastern Caribbean?

Loved the reply's!!!

First Thank you all for the information!!!!

Great News, I booked the a port side balcony cabin on the Radiance for Jan. 5th!!!!

If I could ask one more question how is the weather in Jan. in the Eastern Caribbean?

Loved the reply's!!![/quo

The weather is sunny and hot. We wore shorts and t-shirts. It was 87 -89F.:)

Archived