Parents: Read This About Kid's Programs

kitty9

I just wanted to post this to parents to let them know what can happen with kids and the kid's program. I just finished reading one of the leading cruise magazines ( don't think I can say which magazine), and in their Ombudsman section, there was a letter from a mother who was totally incensed over an incident on a cruise ship concerning her 6 year old daughter. Unfortunately, this magazine doesn't publish the names of the ships in this portion of the magazine, but it really doesn't matter because this could happen on any cruise ship. Here's the story: The parents took their daughter to the kid's center and signed whatever papers you're required to sign. They also signed something making it clear that they, the parents, were the only ones allowed to sign their daughter out of the program. One day, early in the cruise, the mother went to the kid's room only to find her daughter missing. No one on the staff could remember where the girl was. After some frantic searching, they discovered their daughter was signed out of the program by the babysitter of another kid's club patron. They found their daughter playing with her new friend outside of the kid's club. The parents were furious and let it be known during and after the cruise how horrible they thought this incident was. After many months, the cruise line offered them a very small amount for a future cruise, as compensation.

Let this be a warning to all parents to make absolutely certain that the staff of the kid's club know who is allowed to sign out your child from the program.

I'm going to post this warning on the other family friendly boards.

Thanks for the information.....I have a seven year-old daughter who loves Camp Carnival... :)

Not to say that this didn't happen on a Carnival ship, but I've always found Carnival to be extremely careful when signing my daughter into or out of camp. Carnival counselors require you to carry your Sail and Sign card to sign the child either in or out. Only the person who has actually signed the child into camp can sign the child out.....and they verify this by checking signatures on their sign-in board with your sail and sign card.

I will have to say we just cruised on the Elation on July 25, and the staff at Camp Carnival was AWESOME! They were VERY careful with the kids in there, and it didn't matter if they knew that you were a parent, if you weren't the one signing the child in you could not under any circumstances sign your child out! I was very impressed with the quality of service and professionaliism on the Elation and would recommend the Camp Carnival program to anyone. Our daughter is 2 1/2 and we would never have left her in Camp Carnival if we didn't feel comfortable with the staff. By the way the staff was great and our daughter absolutely LOVED to be there.

-Ron

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'd be VERY surprised if this was a Carnival ship. My experience and what I've read on here is that they are very strict about who signs a child out. They've even refused a parent when that parent wasn't the one who brought the child to Camp Carnival.

While we don't use children's programs, as a parent, I would be terrified too. We lost our youngest daughter at a waterpark once. She walks with a limp and when she was behind a screen just a few feet from us, park personnel thought she was hurt and took her to the first aid station. She was gone so quickly we couldn't imagine where she could be. Needless to say, we searched frantically until we found her happily sitting in the air conditioned station safe and quite happy.

As others said, I doubt this was a Carnival ship. On the Ecstasy, I had two kids in different age groups. I'd sign one in and they'd check my signature against my card. Then they'd hand me the other sign-in sheet and check my signature AGAIN. Afterwards, they wouldn't even let either of my daughters get near me until I'd signed them out and they'd checked the signatures again (yes, twice again).

The last night I saw them turn a parent away when she forgot to bring her card. She was furious because she had to go all the way back to her cabin. She even tried the "I lost it" line but they told her that if she had she would have to go down to the information desk to have them call up her picture and issue her a new card.

I think my daughters were safer with Camp Carnival than with me.

Eric

I agree with the others on it probably not being a Carnival cruise.:) I was on a Carnival cruise and my sister-in-law went to pick up her kids and mine. For several days we both showed up together to pick up our kids. It was off season and there were very few kids on board. They knew both of us by name and what kids belonged to us. But she came back saying that they wouldn't let her pick up my child even though they knew who she was and that it was probably okay with me. They said they needed it in writing from me that it was okay. And they needed to see me write the letter and sign and date it. I wasn't angry. I just forgot how strict they were. I feel very safe when my kids are in camp carnival.:D

I had great experiences with Camp Carnival! I usually was the one who took the children but one night I had a headache and felt really awful. I called and talked to one of the counselers and explained I felt awful and asked if it would be possible for the hubby to pick them up. She explained that it really needed to be the same parent that brought them to pick them up, but since I was not feeling well, as long as the hubby brought his AND my sail and sign card, they would make the exception this one time. I really appreciated their understanding and their concerns about the security. I really applaud Carnival for their childrens program. We are going on RCCL Soivereign of the Seas this fall and I hope their program can only be as good.

Thank you to all of the responders, I read a similar article and was wondering about the whole thing myself. Mine are 4, 5 and 12 and I'd only be worried about the youngest going on an adventure. But the thought makes me krindge. Was contemplating keping her with us, but that wouldn't be as much fun for her. I'll plan for camp carnival, and rest assured. I love this board! :)

In any event, do teach the young kids NOT to leave with ANYone except yourself. You can teach them a secret password to be used by ship staff if you are the person sending for them in emergency. Also, if you have multiple children in the program, and you are sending for them, send for all of them to meet up before leaving the Camp Carnival area.

These are good things for kids to practice if they are in daycare or school as well.

Archived