ANOTHER Black Eye For Carnival!

Polish Falcon

These teenagers gained access to a secure communication device, perhaps from the Bridge, and made a hoax announcement.

What if they were trained terrorists?

Imagine the damage they could have done if they gained access to other secured equipment. Engine controls, radar, steering gear, fuel tanks, ballast tanks, power systems, etc. etc. the list is endless.

The "device" was not secure - the "location" supposed to have been. Just this morning I was running around the house frantically looking for my keys. Know where I left them? In the seat of my car, that was unlocked - was cleaning it last night and forgot. Same thing here....someone "forgot". No one was harmed and it was dealt with swiftly.

Trained terrorists?? See my post above.

kristi

Thanks for clearing up the location as to where the

announcement was made from.

I was 99% sure it didn't come from the Bridge.

as the bridge and the engine room are the most secure

areas on the ship, I also understand these areas are also

never left un manned.

As for anybody jumping overboard i thought we all understood

the days of the Titanic (not enough lifeboats) were long

gone, that in itself says something pretty sorry about some

Carnival passengers. :( :eek:

It really enforces what others have said about attending the

muster drill.

Mitch

I'm sure it was a chaotic, confusing time for not only the passengers but the crew as well. Some people are just more naturally prone to jump to the conclusion that peril is around the corner. I think you would have that on any cruiseline.

I hope all Cruise Lines learn from this "Prank".

Steps must be taken to secure the public address system.

I did not realize that this was previously reported.

Ted

I'm quite sure that each and every cruise line has had a "similar" incident and (were taking) or have taken measures to prevent anything similar.

Was the area supposed to be secure? Probably but the fact is that someone found it "unsecure" and decided to do something that COULD have had disaterous consequences but the fact remains that "nothing" happend short of a few people getting their nickers in a wad. The person that was responsible for this area has (probably) been admonished and I'm quite sure this has already been addressed fleet-wide.

Funny thing is we are ALL human and prone to mistakes.

Maybe Carnival should do announcements in the middle of the night telling people to show up at certain locations and then give them gifts and free drinks when they get there. :D That would certainly add to the party reputation.:rolleyes:

What if they were trained terrorists?

Imagine the damage they could have done if they gained access to other secured equipment. Engine controls, radar, steering gear, fuel tanks, ballast tanks, power systems, etc. etc. the list is endless.

This was an extremly serious breakdown of security and could have been a seaborne 9/11......I would be writing this regardless of cruise line name!

Thanks,

Ted

Oh PAHLEASE..... What if the sky fell on our head? You can "What if?" yourself to death..... Honestly if we sat around and "What if'd?" all day long ... no one would every leave their house!!!

None of those things happened ..... I mean it was not a funny thing to do ...and yes it was wrong, but it is over .... Everyone is okay .... so move on ......

Yes, a seaborne 9/11! Oh my lord the terrorists are going to break into the dining room and ram the ship into a LNG carrier in a major harbor using the light controls, a few ovens, dishes plates and dum dum dum.....butter knives! the horror!

For starters, just have the maitre'd lock up the microphone in the cabinet.

AND For Your Info: In the old threads before the official story was posted on either of the websites I frequent, I posted it could have come from the dining rooms at the maitre'd stations. I hate knowing the ships so well.

Yes, a seaborne 9/11! Oh my lord the terrorists are going to break into the dining room and ram the ship into a LNG carrier in a major harbor using the light controls, a few ovens, dishes plates and dum dum dum.....butter knives! the horror!

For starters, just have the maitre'd lock up the microphone in the cabinet.

AND For Your Info: In the old threads before the official story was posted on either of the websites I frequent, I posted it could have come from the dining rooms at the maitre'd stations. I hate knowing the ships so well.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! Anything but butter knives... .~screams~

Well, Polish Falcon, sorry to hurt your feelings in that post.....but I was responding to your original post where you had the emphasis on CARNIVAL getting ANOTHER black eye. Seemed to me that you happened to omit noting all of the unforutnate events that took place on other cruiselines that were presented in the link that YOU provided.

Please. It was a "prank"...nothing more...nothing less. Haven't a clue where you're located in relation to NYC and frankly I don't care but for some of us that were there, witnessed the events first hand, or had friends or loved ones that did survive the events of 9/11 it was a reality that may or may not only be dealt with in a humorous manner. While I know "we" in the DC area try to go about our daily lives it's hard to forget and sometimes a little humor helps. Maybe it's the same for others?

If you are concerned about an emergency while at sea with the little ones, maybe you should leave them with a trusted relative.

Livtojump ~~~~ For your information, my husband was at the WTC that day and witnessed some absolutely horrible events. I won't go into it as it is still too upsetting. As for leaving my little ones home the week of the Rep Convention while we are vacationing out of the country, I think not.

As I previously said.. I feel its a shame someone pulled this prank.. but I would imagine that if I heard the ships HORN sounding the requisit number of blasts.. that would have scared the"xxxx" out of me.. Of course someone waking me in the middle of the night would definitely get my heart racing for a moment until I thought about what should be occurring..

It does pay to listen to instuctions during the lifeboat drill. As Forrest Gump said "XXXX Happens". What can we do? This is the world we are now living in..

NOW back to the Major issue that worries me even more....OVERBOOKING...

I am trying to understand how this works... If you dont have a cabin number are you more prone to get bumped?? So if you just have a guarantee...

I never ever heard of Cruise Bumping... now this is scarey.. and this would make me cry..

PS.. not making fun of the "OTHER incident" but I think it is time to move on.. As my girlfriend who lost her husband in the WTC has... life goes on.. I certainly won't spend my waking hours worring about every little thing that could happen... If so I would be afraid to set foot out my door...

So lets get back to warm happy Cruise Fuzzies...OK??

[url]http://www.cruiselaw.com/news2003.html[/url]

carnival along with other cruiselines have all had employee sexual assault cases...i work for law enforcement agency here in south florida and just wanted to point out that it's more prevalent than you'd think.

i just think that everyone should be more careful on cruiseships. although for the most part they are quite safe but ya can't trust everyone.

[quote name='GoinCruisin']No, not funny... prank yes. I'm not sure why this would give Carnival a bad rep... because we all didn't freak out about a prank... because we all go to the muster drill (well, except Liv ;) ) and know the procedures for an emergency situation? I think it actually proves that people that sail Carnival are smart... as they know that an English speaking kid that says "abandon ship" is a prank, and that had there been a real emergency, the procedures in place would have been announced. Sure, it was a bad prank... the kids should be punished... but to devote days and days and days and freaking people out about it and mentioning terrorism is not the way to go about reporting this... it was a prank, a very isolated one at that... rumor has it, it was made from the dining room (just rumor) but if that is the case, I don't see a huge security threat arising from this...[/QUOTE]
I was on this ship and what you fail to realize is that we were woken in the middle of the night (4AM). I and others do not think very clearly when we first get up. My thoughts were that I slept through the initial announcements (my son was able to sleep right through a practice drill of life boats with buzzers and all)

Second the voice on the loud speaker did have an accent. How real - I'm not sure. Again 4 in the morning.

Third you don't know how you will act or what will go through your mind in a similar situation. This was a boat primarily with people from the NY, NJ area -many very close to 9-11.

In November 2002 we sailed the Victory on the next to last sea day around 9:00 am the ship did a quick turn. Of course we were all concerned. But off in the distance was a small boat of refugees that appeared to be 10 people. The ship under international law was required to stop and assist. If they could provide water or fuel. Of course in the shadow of 911 everyone was concerned that the ship would stop. The ship took all precautions, taking all 20 and I said 20 people aboard. One a pregnant woman. They removed them one at a time from their little boat brought them aboard, searched them. People were concerned regarding the threat. But these people were kept in an isolated area and the Coast guard was called to pick them up. These people said that 2 ships passed them, they had had no water for 3 days. Lucky for us they meant no harm. and Lucky for us the Captain felt obligated to help them. It made me feel good that the security was good and that he helped to keep them from possible death.

Take the day as it comes. You can't change the time, only the place.

Archived