'Very active' hurricane season predicted

This hurricane season I am cruising to Canada/New England...

If you are booked to the Caribbean and a hurricane "happens", you might be going to Canada as well... :D

As for the predictions six months in advance...Bravo Sierra. Our weathermen can't get a seven day forecast right, let alone six months out. You may as well buy the Farmer's Almanac!

JMHO

LL

This hurricane season I am cruising to Canada/New England...

If you are booked to the Caribbean and a hurricane "happens", you might be going to Canada as well... :D

Not to scare you, but Boston and Nova Scotia have seen more than their share of hurricanes. True, they aren't Category 5's, but they are enough to wreak havoc up north. Bring those shorts in case they route you to the Caribbean!!!!! :eek:

Well, he was wrong last year, so who knows....he may have lost his 'touch'. :D

I am cruising in September myself, and have decided "what will be, will be". Who knows, I may end up in St. Thomas again. Things could definitely be worse. :)

This year I think will be more active, the surprise weak El Nino last year is gone and when that happens the Hurricanes are stronger and more numerous. I just hope we don't have another 2004 & 2005 in Florida Going through Charlie, Francis Jeanne and Wilma in less that 15 months was a bit much. The Captains watch this very carefully and change the itenerary to avoid the storms, an easter becomes a western and a western becomes an Eastern. Most ships reposition to the Med or Alaska Cruises but a few remain, Mariner, Sovereign just to name a couple. Tampa also keeps a few as well. Still lets hope for a quiet season.

We actually cruised in 2004 while Hurricane Ivan headed right where our ship was heading. The captain not only took us a dfferent route, but they also gave us an onboard credit even though it wasn't the cruise lines fault. We had a wonderful cruise, thanks to the Captain and made it safely back to Port. We kept in touch with our family by the ships internet to let them know we were ok and enjoyed a few extra drinks ect. thanks to the nice onboard credit the Cruise Line gave us. We couldn't have been happier with the way the Cruise Line and the Captain of the ship handled the Hurricane.

We were on our Honeymoon on Paradise Island in September, 1989, at Merv Griffin's Paradise Island Resort. Now they call it "Atlantis". Hurricane Hugo was on the way, headed straight for Nassau. The local radio said, "Get off the island, now, Mon. Airport will close in two hours." We had paid for this week on Paradise Island, and were not gonna leave. We walked across the bridge to a grocery store and bought a flashlight, bottled water, some canned goods, and a liter of Vodka. Hugo made a wide turn and never hit Nassau. We consummed the provisions and still have the flashlight. These hurricanes are very hard to predict, as we all have seen. We have Empress booked for October 6 to Bermuda. Whatever, if anything, happens we are prepared to be flexible. And, we'll bring that flashlight . . .

Rick and Deirdra

They always predict an over active hurricane season.

They can't even get the forecast right for more than a day in advance unless it is a major storm.

I've seen them predict a foot of snow here in NYC and we only get and inch or two and they predict and inch or two and we get a foot.

Any experienced hurricane cruisers out there?

I sailed the Mexican Riviera a little over 12 years during Hurricane Rosa. We spent 4 days at sea trying to outrun it and we missed 2 out of 3 ports.

It was REALLY windy and the waves were HUGE. Everyone wore tennis shoes (even on formal night) because the ship was rockin' and rollin' so much. Half the crew and 3/4 of the passengers were seasick.

None of our group got sick and we made the best of it and still managed to have fun.:D

But would I want to do it again? NO!!! :eek:

Hi Everyone !

For the most part, the so called "experts" predictions have been more wrong than right over the years. In all honesty, knowing their track record, I felt a bit better about this year after this news came out :).

I know this news wouldnt stop me from going on a Cruise !

Well I'm hoping that the odds are on my side. We were in Mexico when Wilma hit and were stranded there for 4 extra days. To the poster who decided to stay for the storm, I wouldn't recommend it. I figure I've had my share of hurricanes so my trip this November better be good. Since it's a cruise, I felt somewhat secure booking during hurricane season. I will not ever have a land vacation during the season though, unless it's very early.

Archived