Sunshine Skyway Bridge

afdds

Hi,

We're on the Legend out of Tampa, April 29th. Can someone tell me about what time you sail under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. We leave at 4pm. I've heard that people with the first dining are inside the dining room. I would love to video and take some pictures of this.

Thanks for the help!

It's about 2 hours after sailing.

If you depart on time, I'd recommend getting to the top deck around 5:30 or so to watch the approach. Taking a drink up there helps with the wait. :)

As mentioned above, about 2 hours after sailing. Each time we've gone under around 6:00ish (the latest was 6:30 after we had a small delay waiting for some delayed flight passengers). It really is a great event to watch, even after multiple times. Enjoy !!!

ohh I hate that creepy bridge! I always make hubby drive across to get from Tampa airport to my sisters in Sarasota. I have to go over it again in 3 weeks.

Isnt is kinda creepy sailing underneath it?

Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's creepy? I'm a nosy one. :D

If it REALLY bothers you, you can take I-275 North from the airport to I-4 East to I-75 South. It adds about a half an hour to the trip though.

Personally, I love driving over the Skyway on a nice clear day.

If you want creepy, you should have seen the old bridge, after the southbound span collapsed. Driving along the northbound span on a foggy night, you could watch the southbound span, and at highway speed that span would just disappear partway across... As a kid that was WAY creepy!

On our cruise out of Tampa, sailing under the bridge was on the top of my "must see" list, and it didn't disappoint! We skipped dinner in the dining room to be up on the F-Deck, and you really do feel like the funnel is not going to clear the bridge deck. We got some awesome video! We just ate at the buffet afterward and had lots of hot chocolate since it was very cold and windy up there (in January).

ohh I hate that creepy bridge! I always make hubby drive across to get from Tampa airport to my sisters in Sarasota. I have to go over it again in 3 weeks.

I wouldn't mind sailing under it, but I agree that driving over it is the pits. We have driven way out of our way and taken a lot of extra time, just to avoid it.

Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's creepy? I'm a nosy one. :D

If it REALLY bothers you, you can take I-275 North from the airport to I-4 East to I-75 South. It adds about a half an hour to the trip though.

Personally, I love driving over the Skyway on a nice clear day.

If you want creepy, you should have seen the old bridge, after the southbound span collapsed. Driving along the northbound span on a foggy night, you could watch the southbound span, and at highway speed that span would just disappear partway across... As a kid that was WAY creepy!

I just dont like how high it goes. When you are driving up it seems like you are just going to go strainght up. I also dont like the "open" design. the ones here that are long and flat are fine, butyou can also see the supports. Guess I am a weirdo. I know we can go around but know that I know what to expect it isnt so bad . I remember the very first time we flew into Tampa. I was driving the rental car, and I knew that there was a bridge we had to go over. We went over a bridge and I thought that wasnt bad, then we went down a hill and around a curve then I saw" the bridge" I said holy **** and promtly pulled over into a not so nice area at the 1st ramp I could take and switched with hubby. ICk

Excited about my April 29th Legend cruise! Special birthday for me!!

Reading about this bridge and can't wait to see it. (taking early dinner tho)

Don't see the picture that was sent. Would love it if someone would send me it. Who else will be on the Legend 4/29/07??

Yep! It's a toll. Thanks for all the information and stories about the bridge. I also don't like driving or riding over the bridge. It's the height for sure.

This will be our first time out of Tampa, can't wait! :)

Take care,

Debra

P.S. I forgot.... a boat almost ran into the bridge last week! It made the local news. :eek:

Excited about my April 29th Legend cruise! Special birthday for me!!

Reading about this bridge and can't wait to see it. (taking early dinner tho)

Don't see the picture that was sent. Would love it if someone would send me it. Who else will be on the Legend 4/29/07??

Welcome to Cruise Critic, the pictures are posted in post number 8 by Tom & Cheryl, You may have to turn off some type of blocker to see them.

Fred

Beautiful bridge, but creepy in a way because the bridge that was there was destroyed when a boat hit it and knocked the span in the water along with a busload of people and some cars.

Read this report of it:

http://www.geocities.com/pagesbydave/SunSkyDemoHis.html

They, in fact, closed down the bridge last week for a few hours because a barge had lost power and was in danger of hitting the bridge. Fortunately, it went aground and was towed out of the way. Sure messed up traffic for those few hours!

I remeber in 1982 going over the single span in a cold sweat because of both the height and the history. You see even in NY it made the news. As we went past the open span of the other bridge, my wife says oh look they are building another span. I informed her of the crash and she said Oh C...:p We have been over the new bridge alot less creepy

Archived