Sileu Avea

bug_dan

I know some of you may recognize the name. He's a chief from the Island of Samoa and for 22 years hosted the Samoan Village and also performed the Fire Dance at the Evening Show at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I just recieved the Sept/Oct issue of Hawaii magazine and there is an article in there about a tour he is running at the Kualoa Ranch on Oahu. Their web site is http://www.chiefsielu.com Per the article the cost is $10 pp with children age 9 and under admitted free. There is also a barbeque lunch available for an additional $12. Tours are 45 minutes in length and include many of the things they did at the village e.g fire starting by rubbing sticks together, getting coconut milk etc. If you are looking for something a little different on Oahu, this might be interesting. Since I just tried the web site and found it not to be in operation, there was a phone number (808) 781-2474 and it's called Alii Tour. Maybe I could prevail upon Spleen to see if the tour is still in operation???

I did send an email and the web site is under construction. Tours are being run from 10:45 to 4 pm, except Sunday and Monday when there is only one tour at 10:45.

Hey Emi are you playing hookey today since I see you are on the board at 9:30 am HST??????

Oh...lol! Yep...but it's because I'm not feeling all that great today. I also had some home typing work to do, so I took the day off. I forgot I said I'd call though...lol! You got your answer, yeah??

Emi

Not necessary Spleen. The e-mail made no mention of being only available in Japanese, one would think they would try to get as many tourists as possible.

If it's still available in Nov, we just might try it, although I'm not sure exactly where the ranch is???

Sea Island Lady: 1) They don't usually let you check in that early at the hotels unless maybe you arranged early check in...However, they would probably hold your luggage for you until you come back so you can check in after the tour. 2) That said, you would need a bit less time due to not having to actuallly check in yet at the hotel but unless you get priority disembarkation, you would probably be cutting it pretty close. (do you have a Garden Villa or something with priority check out??)

But...that info is actually based on knowledge of the Star when she was in Hawaii, but I am thinking the POA is probably scheduled to come home at about the same time as the Star did.

Aloha!!!

Emi

These boards do get confusing...don't they?

Here is the response I received from the "Chief":

Aloha,

I think the website you found us on is mostly Japanese.

Our own website is currently under new construction.

We do all shows in English with some Japanese or Korean

or even Polish mixed in. The Chief travels around the

world with his Culture Exchange Program - actually he

speaks about 6 or 7 languages.

The tour includes a ride through tropical flowers, a

Polynesian show of fire and coconuts (Very fun!), a

boat ride on the 125 acre fish pond (built 800 years

ago), view and sample a wide variety of fruits and nuts

and staple foods that are grown in the area.

Cost is only $10 per person (kids under 10 are free)

for the 45 - 60 minute tour.

Our phone number for tickets, reservations and

information is: (808) 781-2474

Mahalo... and see you in October!

A hui hou.

I noticed he didn't mention the BBQ. I will write him back. Doesn't seem worth the trip for only 1 hour. Gotta have lunch also. :D

Archived