Cabin Categories?????

flamingo1562

As first time cruisers we understand the difference between an inside, outside, window, porthole, balcony, suite etc. But what we are confused about is what the difference is between the various cabin categories

For example we are booked in cabin 6442 a category 8A for our sailing next year on "Carnival Freedom". What do the number and the letter stand for and what is the difference between let's say an 8A/8D or 8A/5A.

Does the number corespond to the deck you are on and the letter the type of cabin?

Just wondering, we've seen so many postings inquiring about moving from one category to another. Is there a list somewhere that we can look at that explains the difference?

Thanks

P.S. Have posted this with first time cruisers as well.

progress.gif

Ok, the letters mean the deck. A is the lowest, I is the highest deck.

So if you have a Cat.8a Balcony that would probably start for example only in the Upper Deck, deck 6, a Cat. 8I would be up on the Spa Deck, Deck 11.

Cat 1a and 4a are Inside Cabins

Cat 5a are cabins with Port Holes or a cabin that has a window but has an obstruction

Cat. 6a are Ocean View cabins

Cat. 7a are Balconies with Obstructions

Cat. 8a are Balconies

Cat. 9a are Mini Suites

Cat. 11a are Suites

Cat. 12a are Penthouse suites

Fred

Ok, the number indicates the cabin type (inside, outside, balcony, suite, w/window, porthole, obstruction), while the letters indicate the deck level within that type.

That being said on "FREEDOM" the inside cabins of the "Riviera" deck would be 1A or 4A while 1G or 4G would denote inside "Panorama" deck.

Whats the distinction between 1 and 4 if any.

Are these categories standard on all Carnival vessels, and other cruise lines as well?

Again thanks for your feedback, it's been very helpful.

Its the general idea on other cruiselines.

Cat.1a could have only bunk beds, the ones you see that come from the ceiling etc. Small inside cabins. Some do come with Portholes or windows depending on location and the ship.

Cat.1a are used by Single travelers because its the lowest price cabin, but can also be booked by 2 persons.

Cat.4a are Inside Cabins with 2 twins or 1 queen. No windows.

Fred

I feel stupid asking this question. I have cruised before, but never with Carnival. We booked an inside guarantee for 4. From reading the other posts, I was wondering if there are inside cabins with enough beds for four?

:confused:

I feel stupid asking this question. I have cruised before, but never with Carnival. We booked an inside guarantee for 4. From reading the other posts, I was wondering if there are inside cabins with enough beds for four?

:confused:

Don't feel stupid, Good ?

There are some of most cat. that hold 4, An exception is cat 11 on Fantasy class ship that only hold 3.

1A=buck beds(mostly)

4A=inside

5A=portholes

6A ocean view

7 thru 9 are different from ship to ship

11(no letter)=mini suite

12(no letter)=suite

The letter that does along with the number indicate a "more" desireable room, based on the primise that higher is better. Some people rather be lower for less motion.

Hope this helps to clarify a little for you!

Go to the Carnival website and look at your ship's deckplan. The diagram has a drop down menu so you can view different decks. At the bottom, there is a map key that indicates 1 dot for 1 upper berth (kind of a murphy bed) or 2 dots for 2 berths. So on the rooms with 2 dots, you'd have your 2 twin size beds in the cabin and 2 upper berths for a total of 4.

There is also the option of a roll-away bed but I've heard that gets pretty crowded and tight.

Would Carnival assign a room where we needed a roll-away? I sure hope not. Thanks for your help.

depends what ship you are sailing on, the new ships (conquest class) do not allow rollaways in the cabins so you would have to be assigned a cabin with for beds.

my DD's get a 4 bed inside cabin on all our cruises, their last one was a 4E on deck 8, 2 twins & 2 pull downs, the twins can also be converted to a king.

• 2 months later...

I just received a quote from a TA for a category 1S guarantee on Freedom. Another TA quoted a rate for a 1A cabin. However, I can't find category 1 cabins on the Freedom deck plan. Does this make sense?

Now I understand! I think I just misread the I in my notes as a 1! Another TA quoted a rate for an OV - ever heard of that kind of cabin?

That would be an Ocean View, no balcony, but a big window. Probably a category 6-something. We do 6D's on Fantasy class ships, they are nice cabins with nice big windows on the Empress deck.

Boy, that was an obvious one! Since you people are so good at answering my dumb questions, here's another one: do the picture windows on the Riviera deck open so that we can get some fresh air and hear the ocean? I am trying to justify the additional cost of an OV cabin vs an inside, and windows that actually open would be a big plus.

Boy, that was an obvious one! Since you people are so good at answering my dumb questions, here's another one: do the picture windows on the Riviera deck open so that we can get some fresh air and hear the ocean? I am trying to justify the additional cost of an OV cabin vs an inside, and windows that actually open would be a big plus.

No, the OV windows do not open in any cabin. You'll need a balcony room or suite or sit on one of the decks to experience the ocean and wind. Have a great cruise!

Thanks thepeach! I wish the answer was different though... I am trying to book 2 cabins on the Freedom for the Grand Med cruise next June. I have a dilemma, as I am trying to control my spending (Grand Med x 4 adds up fast!) while getting accomodations that we will be comfortable in for 12 nights. I am finding that the cheap cabins are going fast, and since I need 2 close together my options are limited. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about cabins 1444 and 1446 on the Freedom? They are on the port side, far in the back of the ship. Thanks.

Archived