Rosie & Bermuda

RichNY

Thanks for posting this! I fail to understand how one of Rosie's cruises can become such a polarizing lightening rod between different groups.

I have been to Bermuda numerous times (love that country!) - the controversy described in the article is such a disappointment to me.

As a "straight" cruiser - I do not care (and in all likelihood nor would I know) the sexual orientation of anyone I am cruising with.

Whatever happened to "love thy neighbor"? SHEESH..........

I just watched the ALL Aboard Rosie documentory, and I think others should too. These families were so excited to be on a vacation where they could feel safe and feel somewhat normal. Everyone is entitled to thier opinon but just like any cruise, there is a ton of money that could be made from this cruise, and pasangers will likely not go back to bermuda if it is not considered gay friendly, the word will spread. Will this ruin Bermuda, not likely, but will put them in a different light in this community. It is nice seeing the tourism dept. with a welcoming attitude.

MAC

I'm not sure why this post was moved here from the NCL Board. Over on the NCL Board the "Rosie Cruise" has been a major topic of discussion.

Rosie and her company basically chartered the Dawn, but only recently did NCL cancel the cruise for many regular passengers who had already been booked on the Dawn, some for over a year. NCL basically gave no compensation to those cancelled out and in many cases rebooking another cruise is costing them more or they are losing money because they are stuck with air or other arrangements that can't be changed.

It's funny though, R Family Cruises is threatening to cancel the whole cruise if the people of Bermuda practice their basic right of Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Speech. They get mad when their rights are trampled, but its ok to threaten others rights????????

I hope the people do protest and R Family Cruises does cancel. It would serve Rosie and NCL right for the lowlife way that they treated the original Dawn passengers.

A gay boycott of Bermuda will hurt it. Who do you think owns half the expensive houses there? Its not just the cruise industry that will suffer, and Bermuda knows this....there are other places where people can go...

I'm not sure why this post was moved here from the NCL Board. Over on the NCL Board the "Rosie Cruise" has been a major topic of discussion.

Rosie and her company basically chartered the Dawn, but only recently did NCL cancel the cruise for many regular passengers who had already been booked on the Dawn, some for over a year. NCL basically gave no compensation to those cancelled out and in many cases rebooking another cruise is costing them more or they are losing money because they are stuck with air or other arrangements that can't be changed.

It's funny though, R Family Cruises is threatening to cancel the whole cruise if the people of Bermuda practice their basic right of Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Speech. They get mad when their rights are trampled, but its ok to threaten others rights????????

I hope the people do protest and R Family Cruises does cancel. It would serve Rosie and NCL right for the lowlife way that they treated the original Dawn passengers.

Just to get some facts straight. There is a post by Kelli O'Donnell and Gregg Kaminsky on the R Family board that was posted on July 31, 2006 stating that R Family was changing from the Spirit to the Dawn to have a larger ship. The post is there on the R Family founder updates board for anyone that wants to read it. It was officially announced to the board the following week so it was not Rosie that was responsible for the last minute cancellations. NCL had almost a complete year to announce this. It was NCL who caused the problems. Also, R Family will not cancel the cruise. They will just drop Bermuda. So Bermuda is the one that stands to lose not only the dollars from that particular cruise but also many more from folks that will stay away and yes there will be folks that stay away.

That's o.k. if they cancel--I'll spend more money in Bermuda to make up for it!!!Rosie is a bully and can't stand for someone else to have a different view than her's.Bermuda's better off without her.

That's o.k. if they cancel--I'll spend more money in Bermuda to make up for it!!!Rosie is a bully and can't stand for someone else to have a different view than her's.Bermuda's better off without her.

Who is being the Bully here. She is trying to avoid conflict by avoiding Bermuda.

Rosie aviod conflict--I don't care where you stand on the issue-that's a joke!!!!She is conflict--she runs her mouth about everybody and everything, I guess though I'm supposed to fell sorry for her.:cool: i don't think so.

Rosie aviod conflict--I don't care where you stand on the issue-that's a joke!!!!She is conflict--she runs her mouth about everybody and everything, I guess though I'm supposed to fell sorry for her.:cool: i don't think so.

I think if this was Rosie alone she would be "in your face." I don't personally care for her big mouth, but I do think her goal is to let the families - particularly the kids - enjoy a vacation without conflict. Regardless of anyone's stance on the issue of homosexuality, there is no reason the kids shouldn't enjoy a vacation free of conflict.

Who said the Gay's can't take their kids on a cruise. The problem is when the whole ship is booked as a gay only cruise. And when you add in Rosie you add more problems with her big mouth. I applaud the people from the Bermuda for standing up for what they believe in and not stepping down to a begot like Rosie.:)

What is a "begot"? Just wondering...

I totally agree that Rosie's mission here is good ... if you don't, you really should watch her documentary.

For those of you who say that the gay families with children would be fine if they were not on a chartered cruise full of gay people, think of Rosie's mission to united families who constantly face similar challenges. Many of the children/teenagers who spoke on her documentary have constantly been chastised in the home town for having gay parents, but meeting other young people in a similar situation on the cruise was truly a life-changing experience for them.

I love Bermuda as a port, but perhaps the Bermudians should do their research ... some children (esp. "crack babies") cannot be adopted by most parents, but some gay couples have adopted these children and changed the course of their entire lives. Would they have been better off in group homes or bouncing in and out of different households at the hands of children's services?? I don't think it is that outrageous for these children (and their parents) to have some ability to identify with others in a similar situation.

As for NCL -- they perhaps did handle this poorly in terms of cancellation, reimbursement, etc., but that is really unrelated to Rosie. Some of you may think she is obnoxious, but, if not for her, who would advocate on behalf of non-traditional families?

Archived