Suggestions for excursions - first time to cruise

kendik

Hello all,

We are crusing on the Carnival Conquest this June with our 6 and 10 year old daughters. I was wanting to get suggestions on which excursions to book. Do we need to book with Carnival? How soon do we need to sign up? All suggestions are welcome. It's our first cruise and we're very excited. The 10 year old wants to swim with dolphins. Both are very active and adventurous. Can you share your experiences, good and bad?

Many thanks

What's the itinerary?

We swam with dolphins in Nassau and Freeport. There are also dolphin excursions in Cozumel (amoung others)

My 2 and 7 year olds have done it. They love it.

What are the ports and maybe we can suggest some other things to do?

Usually, first time cruisers feel more comfortable booking excursions through the cruise line. But, if you are just booking an excursion to the beach, its cheaper just to catch a cab at the pier.

Book your excursions through the cruise line ASAP so you can get your choice. Don't wait until the cruise if its during a busy time - the popular ones often sell out.

Have a blast!

I'd recommend going with the cruise line on your first cruise. Just to get acclimated. For future cruises, check out the 'Ports of Call' forum for each port you are at and book your own. You'll save money and may have a better experience in terms of quality.

Hello all,

We are crusing on the Carnival Conquest this June with our 6 and 10 year old daughters. I was wanting to get suggestions on which excursions to book. Do we need to book with Carnival? How soon do we need to sign up? All suggestions are welcome. It's our first cruise and we're very excited. The 10 year old wants to swim with dolphins. Both are very active and adventurous. Can you share your experiences, good and bad?

Many thanks

We just went on the Conquest and it also was our first cruise. We had a blast on it. I do recoment booking your excursion through Carnival for Jamaica for sure. We went to Rose Hall Park in Jamaica. The beach was very nice and their swimming pools are great. They also have waterslides. Our two girls 12 and 15 had a lot of fun.

We did the Stingray's in the Grand Cayman's. That was a blast. In Cozumel we just did the Playa Mia beach and that was also very nice. They do have an excursion in Cozumel to swim with the dolphines.

You can wait until you're on the ship to book your excursions but they do fill up fast depanting what you want to do. We're also booked all of our excursions through carnival because it was our first time. Next time I would feel save to do soemthing on our own in the Grand Caymans and Cozumel, but not Jamaica.

Have fun!

Pretty much agree with everyone else. Your first cruise can be overwhelming because you have so many unknowns. So stick with the cruise excursions for the first time vs. booking your own.

It should be noted that if a excursion booked through the cruise line is late getting back to the boat you are covered, the ship waits If you book your own and say the taxi you are in gets stuck in traffic, the ship sails without you.

While booking excursions for the first time is like being a kid in a candy shop, don't over do it. If you book too many you will find yourself on the run constantly and spending big $$$. Pick the best of the best and the rest of the time you are in port you can shop, eat, go back to the boat all at your pace.

Pretty much agree with everyone else. Your first cruise can be overwhelming because you have so many unknowns. So stick with the cruise excursions for the first time vs. booking your own.

It should be noted that if a excursion booked through the cruise line is late getting back to the boat you are covered, the ship waits If you book your own and say the taxi you are in gets stuck in traffic, the ship sails without you.

While booking excursions for the first time is like being a kid in a candy shop, don't over do it. If you book too many you will find yourself on the run constantly and spending big $$$. Pick the best of the best and the rest of the time you are in port you can shop, eat, go back to the boat all at your pace.

That's what happen on our cruise....we left someone behind in Jamaica! Their friends who was waiting on him were told that they could wait on him or get on the ship and they got on the ship and we left. Now that's scary!

Thanks to you all that responded. Our ports of call are Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We will take your advise and book through Carnival for Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I think we will try the dolphin swim/encounter and possibly a resort dive with our 10 year old in Cozumel, we've been there before and feel comfortable. I hear you can book directly on the web. We are considering either Rose Hall Park or Horseback riding in Montego Bay. Does anyone know if alcohol is included on the Rose Hall trip? Has anyone done the horseback riding?

Glad to hear good reports about The Conquest.

Would appreciate any other tips/comments!

Archived