Horsebackriding in Orhios Rio

Mshusky

We did the horseback riding excursion in Montego Bay, but I can't imagine it will be that much different over in Ocho Rios. WE LOVED IT!!!

It was defintely a highlight of our last cruise. They bussed us through the Jamaican Mountains to the ranch, which was located in a very scenic area with views of the bay, and trials that led up and down the mountains and through the "rainforest" area. At the end of the ride, they changed the saddles out for special "water pads" on the horses and we took them for a swim in the water! What an awesome experience!

You pretty much follow along in a trail ride formation, so if you are an experienced rider, you may be bored, with no opportunity to trot or gallop or whatever it is you do with horses. For us city kids, though, it was our first time on a horse, and great fun!

Along the trail, there were photographers to catch our picture on the horse with some cool backgrounds scenery. When the ride was over, we went back to the snack bar/gift shop/rest area and were able to select from the pictures they took and they burned them onto a CD for us so we didn't have to worrry about getting them wet or ruined on the way back to the ship!

On RCI it was about $90 per person last summer and we felt it was worth every penny!

HAVE FUN!

:)

We ride alot here at home but never in the ocean so we thought it would be fun. I'm not too worried about going single-file or not being able to ride like we ride our horses because you never know how some horses will behave. Especially if the horses do this day in and day out. I'm real excited about it.

I'm glad you liked it. Do they provide you with lockers to store your things in while you go into the water?

We ride alot here at home but never in the ocean so we thought it would be fun. I'm not too worried about going single-file or not being able to ride like we ride our horses because you never know how some horses will behave. Especially if the horses do this day in and day out. I'm real excited about it.

I'm glad you liked it. Do they provide you with lockers to store your things in while you go into the water?

Yes, the place we went had lockers available for $1, but the tour van driver told us we could leave our stuff in the van becasue He was staying there with us and it would be locked until it was time to leave.

:) My finance and I did the Chucka Cove horseback riding tour last October. As soon as the ship, the Caribbean Princess, arrived in port we had a quick breakfast and went down to pier to meet our tour guides. Soon we were on our way to stables where an employee gave us a quick introduction, set us up with horses and down the trail we went. After a about 20 minute ride to a cove, we got off the horses, the wranglers took the English saddles off the horses and put a bareback pad on them. While the horses were being tended to everyone changed into swimsuits, restrooms and showers were provided, I don't remember seeing any lockers. Riding the horses into the cove was fun we walked across a cove, in the shallow end, and then deep enough for the horses to swim, it was great! While we were in the water, one the wranglers was taking pictures, which were later sold to us on a disk. Back on the shore, the saddles were replaced while we had refreshments, quick showers, and a change of clothes. After a the break we rode back to the stables, looked around in the gift shop and then we climbed in van for trip back to the port.

I did it a few years ago. It was a very HOT day. I felt bad for the horses as we were all getting to know the ropes of horseback riding. There was no shade for the horses or the riders as we got assigned to our individual horses. Once everyone was paired up, they paraded the group around a large circle, several times. This was to make sure everyone felt comfortable. It took a long time to finally get started. Everyone had to proceed in single file fashion. No exceptions! There were several guides who hung out with the ones that seemed either fearful or if the horse was acting up. Knowing this was a plus for me, cause I had one of those bad behaving horses! The guides were very nice and always took control when they needed to. Have a great time!

Archived