Bringing Champagne

timbuk

I'm traveling on the Crown in late April out of San Juan. I have a special bottle of champagne that I thought might taste a little better on the balcony of our stateroom.

Any suggestions for traveling with it? Do most just pack it in their suitcase and hope for the best? I doubt the airline will let me take it in my carry-on.

Thanks for any info or guidance.

You're right; TSA will not allow you through security with a bottle of champagne. If you can buy one in the airport after security, that's okay. When you board the ship, however, it may be taken from you and returned at the end of the cruise, or you may be charged a corkage fee (about $15) if you want to keep it with you. This is particularly true on NCL, which has gotten very strict about any form of alcohol being brought on board. Other lines are more lenient, particularly with small amounts (2-3 bottles) of wine, but I've heard even that is changing as the ships try to protect their revenue stream.

Archived