Passport Applications Stolen!!

XRAYDAVE

How Horrible. As a victim of identity theft (international), I suggest a few things to do:

1.) File a police report - even if you have not seen any adverse affects yet. You need a report to put an alert on your credit file.

2.) Contact the Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint.

3.) Pay for a Credit Report Monitoring services (very inexpensive) to monitor any activity on your credit report.

4.) Monitor all activity on your bank accounts and credit cards on a daily basis. I know, it sounds obsessive, but it is worth it.

I hope no one has to use these tips, but this type of theft is becoming more and more rampant. Take precautions and know that quick reaction on your part is of the essence.

Okay, I am done preaching.

Something like This just happend to a friend of mine a few months ago, The FBI is involved and the person who took his passPort info tryed to pass it off in Canada.

The FBI won't tell him much, only that the information was taken from the PassPort facility it's self. From all his info, they also opened up a CC and bought 40,000 in furniture and withdrew 28,000 from his bank account.

He is supposed to fly to Mexico in 2 months, he now can't because his Passpost has a hold and is being investigated.

His credit score went from 735 to 356.

It's really sad that before the FBI got involved, he was treated like a criminal by the credit agencies who ask him to prove he was not the one opening CC and closing is bank accounts.

Caribbean Dreams.....

Tell your friend to file a police report. I work for a top law firm (according to Crane's) and your best defense is to have a police report filed. Even if it was a few months ago, having the report will expedite resolution.

Also, contact the credit companies and place an alert. In my case, if anyone ever requests credit in my name, I receive a telephone call that requires me to inform the credit company of my "password."

In my past experience, it took me about 200 hours to correct mistakes on my credit report due to identity theft. The credit companies do not want to help initially, but when you tell them that you have the local, state, and federal authorities involved, things happen faster.

Karen, I really appreciate the information on how to best handle ID Fraud.

I have had one person who has been using my name, home address, and phone number even on his checks over the past few years.

This will give me a better method to try and get this thing stopped.

ID fraud should scare everyone. The only thing that has saved me is this person has never been able to get my SS number.

Wow that sucks big time!! Ive had my identity stolen before its no picnic. I got a bill a few months ago from Verizon (who Ive never had) from 11 years ago wanting payment from my ex roomie who stole my info. It is a HUGE PAIN

I also had the same thing happen. The collection agency wanted payment on a 1994 Verizon bill. Had to send copies of my old drivers licenses and passport.

My Id was stollen by someone I do not even know from California. Took years to get it cleaned up.

Archived