That Greek ship sank!!

SheriNtexas

I've been following the news on this too! I even printed it out and put it up on the fridge for the kids to read. They are very good about not missing muster drill although sometimes they ask if it's necessary...now they have their answer.

Were the passengers able to save any of their personal items? did it all go down with the ship? since it took 15 hours for the ship to sink were they able to save any of the luggage?

What a nightmare!

Were the passengers able to save any of their personal items? did it all go down with the ship? since it took 15 hours for the ship to sink were they able to save any of the luggage?

What a nightmare!

I read a post on another board from the mother of one of the passengers. Since they were about to disembark, many of them had their wallets, cameras and totes with them - but everything in their cabins was lost.

And your historical source for this statement is...?:confused:

Since you asked...

This is a very well documented event.Listed here are a few sources, which include eye-witness accounts by survivors of the Andrea Doria and crew of rescue ships relating how among the first off the sinking Andrea Doria and the first to reach rescue ships were....ship's crew.

Though the captain and senior officers were the last to abandon ship.

Desperate Hours: The Epic Rescue of the Andrea Doria by Richard Goldstein

Saved!: The Story of the Andrea Doria-The Greatest Sea Rescue in History by William Hoffer

Collision Course: The Classic Story of the Most Extraordinary Sea Disaster of Our Times--The Collision at Sea of the S.S. Andrea Doria and the M.S. Stockholm by Alvin Moscow

Alive on the Andrea Doria!: The Greatest Sea Rescue in History by Pierette Domenica Simpson

OK

What I want to know is what the heck were they doing before they hit? Partying? Cause the Greek authorities have arrested the following:

Capt

1st Mate

Chiefs mate

CABIN STEWARD:eek:

HOUSEKEEPER!:eek:

WHY WOULD THEY GET THE LAST 2 LISTED?????????:confused:

Capt

1st Mate

Chiefs mate

CABIN STEWARD:eek:

HOUSEKEEPER!:eek:

WHY WOULD THEY GET THE LAST 2 LISTED?????????

Possibly because of reports by passengers of the difficulty in finding lifejackets.

Lifejackets may be the responsibility of the Chief Steward and Chief Housekeeper?

News reports state that many passengers were on deck when the ship struck the reef, not in their cabins for quick and easy access to their lifejackets.

What a terrible tragedy. In looking at the pictures of this ship it is obvious that it was not designed as most other cruise ships. Note there are only 2 lifeboats hanging on each side of the ship. The rest of the boats are like the ones seen floating in the water.

Wonder if they had the lifeboat drills like we do on our ships.

For those in the know, are these originally built for ferry ships constructed the same as the ones designed as cruise ships?

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I'm not so sure about that. History will tell you that when the Andrea Doria sank many of the Italian Crew Members filled up the lifeboats before the passengers had a chance to.

Here is a little history of the Greek captains and their "seaworthiness" and acts of heroism:

The Yarmouth Castle which caught fire and took 45 minutes from start of fire to the first signal of an alarm. Captain Byron Voutsinas was in the first lifeboat to leave the burning ship.

The Lakonia under the command of Captain Zarbis, fire again and confusion because of no announcements. 89 people died and 42 unaccounted for.

The Heraklion which sank and the owners were found guilty because there was no drill in place for abandoning ship.

The Heleanna - gas cylinder exploded in the kitchen and fire broke out. Passengers and crew jumped off the ship - 24 died. Captain Demetrios Antypas was arrested on multiple homicide, embarking more passengers than the ship was licensed to carry, not having adequate fire fighting equipment on board and failing to provide proper aid to passengers. The Captain was apprehended while trying to board another Greek ferry.

The Oceanos - Captain Yiannis Avranas was one of the first off the ship because "he wanted to conduct rescue operations from shore". He left the entertainers to arrange the resuce. Realizing the fate of the ship, the crew fled in panic, neglecting to close the lower deck portholes, which is standard policy during emergency procedures.

Celebrity's Mercury - Captain Periklis Petridis was arrested for being drunk while sailing from Alaska.

That is why I always TRY to sail with Scandinavian or Italian officers! Thank you for the record of Greek Captains during emergency situations...it does not say much for their training and professionalism!

I think the names and photos of those arrested should be published!

This is a very well documented event.Listed here are a few sources, which include eye-witness accounts by survivors of the Andrea Doria and crew of rescue ships relating how among the first off the sinking Andrea Doria and the first to reach rescue ships were....ship's crew.

Thanks, Stowaway and RichardK - I appreciate the "reading list"! (I'm better at Great Lakes shipwrecks.;) ) I've always through the most truly frightening account I've read of abandoning ship was "Fire at Dea" by Thomas Gallagher, on the Morro Castle fire. Admittedly almost 70 years ago with different safety guidelines, but still compelling.

MARK - So who do you always TRY to fly with? And how do you know in advance the nationality of the pilot? As they say..."there are more planes in the sea than ships in the sky"! And are you certain the Captain of Sea Diamond was Greek?

That is why I always TRY to sail with Scandinavian or Italian officers! Thank you for the record of Greek Captains during emergency situations...it does not say much for their training and professionalism!

I think the names and photos of those arrested should be published!

In Europe it is just like in your country:

They are innocent untill proved otherwise !

Just wait for the outcome of the investigations.

MARK - So who do you always TRY to fly with? And how do you know in advance the nationality of the pilot? As they say..."there are more planes in the sea than ships in the sky"! And are you certain the Captain of Sea Diamond was Greek?

C'mon now kids-play nice:rolleyes:

I do ask what nationality the Chief Crew is on a ship before I book, I have found in my own personal experience, that Greek crews are distant and unfriendly towards pax-not Greek bashing here-just my experience so calm down:rolleyes: The last Greek Captain I sailed (Celeb Mercury) with was arrested for being drunk in port at 9 am........the info posted earlier by another poster does paint a grim picture of their record during a crisis-I have not been thru that and cannot comment. The information on the web does say that all of the arrested were Greek nationals.

Archived