Itinerary for Maui for the experts

cruisin24

Just want some expert opinions on my itinerary.....albeit a very intense one...we are most interested in great snorkelling and viewing (some) of the Road to Hana, the Halaekala Crater and beautiful landscapes!

We are not interested in good lunch spots...we will probably do what Lamb2 mentioned in another thread and just get room service the night before to take on our trips. OK here goes...please let me know if it is possible.

DAY 1

1-Get rental car as early as possible

2-Drive Road to Hana with most stops being near Wai'anapanapa Beach (just past 32 mile marker). We will be stopping as some of the lookouts on the way but a friend just returned from Maui and suggested that there was a few I could skip and concentrate on that area. I was hoping from start to finish be approx 4-5 hours. possible?? As I mentioned we will not be staying long at any lookout...just a quick hike to view and leave and we will not stop at that many. Hopefully be in the car and on our way back by 3:00.

3-Quick drive to Halaekala Crater-I know this sounds insane but since they are both on the central/east side I thought it would make sense to book this together. At the Crater we would probably just go to the 17 mile mark (Leleiwi Lookout) and stop for a view. According to the Revealed book...most people just blow by this lookout. We will not be taking any sunrise trip to the crater so time of day doesn't matter.

4-Back to ship by 6-7 pm.

Doable???

DAY 2

1-Check out IaoValley/Needle on our way to the North and Northwest shores for snorkelling.

2-Stop at Honolua Marine Reserve for a hour or so

3-Stop at Kaanapali Beach and snorkel at Black Rock for about an hour

4-Go back to ship by 4-5 pm

As I mentioned I don't need to spend hours at one location to enjoy...I will enjoy seeing as much of the islands as I can with the exception of VNP in Hilo. We will be spending at least 4-5 hours there.

You are really trying to pack a lot in, Debbie.

I've spent quite a bit of time on Maui - been to all of the places you've mentioned...many several times.

It's been a while since I've done the road to Hana but it was definitely a 6-7 hour trip when we did it. It is probably the only thing I've ever done on Maui that I wouldn't do again. We did this trip after a couple days of rain and were treated to some gorgeous waterfalls along the way. But even so, I felt that time could have been better spent elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Haleakala...are you not going all the way to the summit? The view from the visitor's center is great. And, it is very surreal - hauntingly beautiful. The trip up and back is almost sensory overload - from smells of the sea to pineapple fields to pine forests to avacado groves to eucalyptus. I've gone during the day, I've done the bike ride, and I've done sunrise. Sunrise was incredible. Again, surreal doesn't seem to fully describe it.

You could conceivably do both Hana and Haleakala on the same day - but you'll be rushing then entire time.

The second day's itinerary is much more do-able. Are you not planning to visit Lahaina, though?

Also, I'm not sure that you can legally take food off the ship. Hawaii is very strict about food being brought into/onto the islands. They have to be to protect their agriculture. We couldn't do it on the Island Princess a couple months ago. I'd be surprised if you can do it.

Have a great time! Maui is my favorite place on Earth!

Beach4me,

If I don't go to the summit at Halaekala...will I miss the visitor lookout? I wasn't sure where you meant that was?

I do want to go as far as I can...but I really am having a hard time eliminating some places from my itinerary so if that means just stopping at a lookout on the way to the summit...then turning back I think I would be ok with this. How does this compare to VNP with regards to the views?? We will be at VNP for most of the day so can enjoy all aspects.

Thanks for your response!

Archived