Spare time in Anchorage and/or Fairbanks

We are booked on Radiance cruise tour in early June. The land tour gives us free time in Anchorage and Fairbanks but I don't know how much time or what time it will be. Will we get more specific info in order to book a tour ahead of time in one of these cities, or will we just have to play it by ear until we get to both of these cities.

I apologize if this is a repeat thread.

j

J --

Firs of all -- you're going to have a great time in both Anchorage and Fairbanks...and aboard the Radiance. Still one of my favorite ships that I've been on!

Your tour director also acts as your "concierge" -- and they everything to do in the city. Plus, whatever hotel you're staying in, will most likey have a tour desk to help you with some activities.

Anchorage is a big city -- for Alaska. You have a downtown with large buildings -- great shopping and lots of things to do. You probably won't have time to see everything here, but concentrate on the downtown area. Lots of museums, a three story mall, trinket shops and wonderful gardens. Plus, you can walk all over the place and have FANTASTIC views.

Fairbanks is MUCH smaller that Anchorage. Fairbanks is a big college town -- home to the University of Alaska (main campus). Make sure you stop at the Visitor Center in the middle of town. They're the nicest people who will guarantee great information. You can easily see Fairbanks in a day, just make sure to tell them what you want to see.

It's a great idea to visit these websites --I'm sure they'll mail you out some brochures:

http://www.explorefairbanks.com/

and

http://www.anchorage.net/

Good luck and have fun!! Enjoy Alaska -- it's a beautiful state!

We went to ANchorage 2 days ahead befor the tour and enjoyed free time very much. We walked from the Marriott to downtown, saw baby husky puppies along the way, shopped and just walked the beautiful streets. We took a tour to the Heritage Museum. DOn't miss it if you have enough time. The bus leaves from the downtown and it is a fabulous tour.You get an idea of the American heritage of the Eskimos.

Archived