Westerdam to Greek Isles - info please

My husband and I are considering the Westerdam to the Greek Isles on May 30, 2007.

I'm 50, he's 55. What do you think the average age of the passengers is? Not that we're partyers, but I'm a little concerned that we might be younger than most of the passengers' own kids!

Anyone taken this ship? To the Greek Islands? Which excursions did you enjoy? Which excursions were a waste of time or money?

Any comments would be appreciated. The cruise is selling out and I need to book it soon.

Linda

My husband and I are considering the Westerdam to the Greek Isles on May 30, 2007. ..... Anyone taken this ship? To the Greek Islands? Which excursions did you enjoy? Which excursions were a waste of time or money? Any comments would be appreciated. The cruise is selling out and I need to book it soon.

Linda

It looks like a really great trip.... lots of interesting ports. We did the Med / Greek Isles on the Grand Princess... so my comments are about the ports.

Try to do a pre or post cruise in Rome. We did 4 days and it took all of it to see as much as we did. Olympia you should make sure to do the stadium ruins. Santorini... to donkeys up are fun. But do the cable car down. Kusadasi.... Ephesus is a must. Corfu... the old town is worth wandering around. Lots of other choices for tours there. Athens.. the Parthenon / Acropolis are a must.

I'm doing this cruise this summer, and I'm in my late 20's. We'll probably be the youngest couple on the ship (perhaps by 20+ years), but that doesn't bother me.

Good for you.... wish I could have afforded it and done it at your age..;) ... But, better late than never....:D Just catching up.

Have a great trip

Just booked the Westerdam for 5/30/07.

I was in Rome about 20 years ago, but I don't remember much about the details of touring it.

To chasetf and anyone else who can help:

Actually, we are planning to be in Rome about 4 days before the cruise leaves - to catch up on jet lag before the cruise and to explore. Did you arrange the tours through the ship, or on your own? If you went on your own, can you help me contact the guides you used? Which hotel did you stay in while in Rome? Would you recommend it? Do you do the pre-cruise tour in Rome with the ship, or on your own? Which guide did you use, or just get a Metro card and head out on your own? Any problem with the gypsies? Thanks, Linda

Good for you.... wish I could have afforded it and done it at your age..;) ... But, better late than never....:D Just catching up.

Have a great trip

Thank you! :) We probably won't be able to do it again for 30 years after this (we have a unique situation right now where I'll be off for about 2 months, which presumably won't ever happen again (if it did, I suppose it would be because I lost my job, in which case I probably wouldn't be looking to take a long cruise!)--we're doing the 20-day back to back eastern and western med), and are really, really looking forward to it.

We're doing the same planning for Rome for fall 2007. HAL has a 4 day precruise that includes hotel, tours and transfers from airport and to the pier from the hotel. I'm researching hotels and tours privately but we may use the HAL hotel and transfers and book our tour independently. I found suggestions on the HAL Europe roll call board and the Ports on call (all on this cruise critic site). I don't know if I can mention tour operators in this post.

Good hunting

GN

Archived