Which Canada/New England Itinerary?

Planning on a cruise to Canada/New England end of August/Early September. Trying to decide between the following itineraries and would like any comments/recommendations on which one we should take. Thanks.

Holland America

Maasdam

7 Days

Boston to Montreal

Ports: Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Saguenay Fjord (cruising), Quebec City

Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas

9 Days

New York Roundtrip

Ports: Newport, Rhode Island; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Saint John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, Maine; Portland, Maine; Boston, Mass

The RC itinerary is what we did on our first Canada/NE cruise but with Princess. We liked the round trip because the air fares were cheaper that way (we book those on our own.) There is a lot to do in each port and we enjoyed it so much we did a lot of them again this past fall aboard the QM2 which also went to Quebec City but returned to NY.

Halifax is a beautiful city and you will love the people. It is the stepping off point if you want to go out to Peggy's Cove. It's a quaint little fishing village and a lighthouse that yield some great pictures. We did that the first time with a tour I found on line not thru the ship. On our second visit, we took the free bus up to the Citadel and did the tour there which was great, then walked (downhill) toward the docks, stopping at churches and cemeteries. The dock area is full of shops and restaurants and there is a ferry that will take you across the river for just a couple of dollars. There is lots to learn on these boards and on line

Saint John welcomes each ship 's passenger with a rose or a lapel pin. There are craft booths on the dock that you can visit before getting back on the ship so you don't have to carry things all day. On our second trip, we went into the tour tent and just got a cab with another couple looking for a tour and it was much cheaper that a city tour listed by the cruise line. The driver was terrific and customized the time the way we wanted and droopped us off at a shopping area with recommendations for lunch.

Just a couple notes on the others since you can look up all kinds of info ...

Newport--DON"T take a sip tour. Walk up the hill to the transportation Center and get a bus and mansion pass there. Cheaper and you get what you want with on on/off bus. The Breakers is usually one that is part of it and it is a docent guided tour so the line moves slowly so get there early if you can. We also saw Marble House which is a headphone guided tour which is wonderful! You can also get a bus tour around the island that is neat too.

Boston--On our second trip we found that sharing a taxi from the dock to Fanuill Hall was cheaper and miore convenient than paying more for the buses the ship lines up. Gives you more freedom with your time as well. (Others can tell you about taking public trans) The trolley tours are great again because of the on/off. Try to get up to the North end near Paul Revere's home. Some great little restaurants with menues on the windows--we had Italian meal for 2 with a bottle of wine for $20!

Bar Harbor--you may be early enough for the free shuttle up to Cadillac Mt. I'm sure you can find out how that works.

Whichever cruise you pick, have a wonderful time. We have enjoyed it both times and found something new to see.

The RC itinerary is what we did on our first Canada/NE cruise but with Princess. We liked the round trip because the air fares were cheaper that way (we book those on our own.) There is a lot to do in each port and we enjoyed it so much we did a lot of them again this past fall aboard the QM2 which also went to Quebec City but returned to NY.

Halifax is a beautiful city and you will love the people. It is the stepping off point if you want to go out to Peggy's Cove. It's a quaint little fishing village and a lighthouse that yield some great pictures. We did that the first time with a tour I found on line not thru the ship. On our second visit' date=' we took the free bus up to the Citadel and did the tour there which was great, then walked (downhill) toward the docks, stopping at churches and cemeteries. The dock area is full of shops and restaurants and there is a ferry that will take you across the river for just a couple of dollars. There is lots to learn on these boards and on line

Saint John welcomes each ship 's passenger with a rose or a lapel pin. There are craft booths on the dock that you can visit before getting back on the ship so you don't have to carry things all day. On our second trip, we went into the tour tent and just got a cab with another couple looking for a tour and it was much cheaper that a city tour listed by the cruise line. The driver was terrific and customized the time the way we wanted and droopped us off at a shopping area with recommendations for lunch.

Just a couple notes on the others since you can look up all kinds of info ...

Newport--DON"T take a sip tour. Walk up the hill to the transportation Center and get a bus and mansion pass there. Cheaper and you get what you want with on on/off bus. The Breakers is usually one that is part of it and it is a docent guided tour so the line moves slowly so get there early if you can. We also saw Marble House which is a headphone guided tour which is wonderful! You can also get a bus tour around the island that is neat too.

Boston--On our second trip we found that sharing a taxi from the dock to Fanuill Hall was cheaper and miore convenient than paying more for the buses the ship lines up. Gives you more freedom with your time as well. (Others can tell you about taking public trans) The trolley tours are great again because of the on/off. Try to get up to the North end near Paul Revere's home. Some great little restaurants with menues on the windows--we had Italian meal for 2 with a bottle of wine for $20!

Bar Harbor--you may be early enough for the free shuttle up to Cadillac Mt. I'm sure you can find out how that works.

Whichever cruise you pick, have a wonderful time. We have enjoyed it both times and found something new to see.[/quote']

We did this cruise on Princess in 2004. It was a great cruise. We had a somewhat rough ride to Halifax due to tropical storm Nicole (25 ft seas and 70 knot winds) but a great cruise for us. We did pretty much what you did on this cruise. We did research each port vie internet as well as contacting each port. We did find the greeting in the Canadian ports very warm and all were helpful. We also received a rose in St. John and had a bagpiper send us off on departure!!

I have just noticed a new 9 day out of Cape Liberty in 2008 that is just Canada. This is something new for Royal Caribbean and we will be looking into it.

Holland America

Maasdam

7 Days

Boston to Montreal

Ports: Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Saguenay Fjord (cruising), Quebec City

If you want to see Canada, this is the better cruise, if you ask me. Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, the Saguenay Fjord and Quebec City are all beautiful to behold.

Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas

9 Days

New York Roundtrip

Ports: Newport, Rhode Island; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Saint John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, Maine; Portland, Maine; Boston, Mass

If you want to see New England, this is the better cruise. Of course, you miss Quebec City, the oldest city in all of North America. You miss the whale watching in the Saguenay Fjord. You miss quaint Charlottetown and the beauty of Sydney and Cape Breton. In return, you get Newport.

It's likely cheaper without the flight (bus or train) because of the one-way.

Quebec City is one of the few cruise stops that is fresh water. Montreal is also visited by Holland America and they are one of three ships that visits Montreal. The ships usually can't make it under the bridge at Trois Riviere (Three Rivers) and we aren't going to replace a multi-million dollar bridge (if not a billion dollar bridge) so that a few cruise ships can make it into Montreal.

Cruise ships in both Montreal and Quebec city leave from their respective old port areas, which is historically significant.

• 2 weeks later...

Ephraim, Please fill me in on the NCL 10 day out of New York. Our daughter is in a wheelchair and I am limited for walking. What would you recommend that we could do. and please tell us more about cruising the fjord. We are booked to go in mid September for the first time. Feel free to elaborate about what you feel we will be able to expenience. Thank you so much

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't answer earlier. I was on a cruise and at 50c a minute... I'm not reading message boards :)

Thu New York City - 4:00 PM Fri Boston 12:30 PM 8:00 PM Sat Bar Harbor 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Sun Halifax 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Mon At Sea - - Tue Quebec City 9:00 AM 9:00 PM Wed At Sea - - Thu Corner Brook 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Fri Sydney 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Sat At Sea - - Sun New York City 10:00 AM -

That's the schedule I see online. I'm skip to the Canadian parts, since I assume enough people can talk about Boston and Bar Harbor.

Halifax is a beautiful city. With limited mobility I wouldn't suggest Citidel Hill, since it's rather.... hillish. Walk around the port area and downtown. The tall ship is there, and it's really quite beautiful, just to sit and watch it. Or take a tour up to Peggy's cove with a short walk around town.

I don't know Cornerbrook, but anywhere there are real Newfoundlanders can't be all bad :) They are very open and friendly people, even if you have a bit of trouble understanding them. Don't try the screech unless you are willing to screech. It's a local alcohol that's a bit strong for some.

Quebec city is a bit more difficult, with cobblestone streets. Maybe the Plains of Quebec, the Chateau Frontenac, maybe the funicular between the two parts of the city or a bus tour of the city. Old Quebec is a bit hilly and the cobblestones will make walking and the wheelchair difficult.

I've never been to Sydney, but the people of Cape Breton are again very accommodating, open and wonderful. Beautiful area for local music and dance.

As for the Sagunauy fjord, that you can enjoy from a balcony or from the deck. The whales (in season) sit around the opening of the fjord. We saw finbacks, blue and belugas. The belugas were the most interesting and easiest to see, being that they sleep on the top and some of them are white. There are also seals, which are called phoque in French and yes... that's pronounced almost as you think it is. FOLK, without the L, which has led to many a funny tale.

Again, the scenery in Canada is the thing, especially in the fall as the leaves change colours. If it's Indian summer, the weather will be warmer, the leaves less colourful, but the pool will be quite inviting.

Try some local Canadian food. Poutine in Quebec city, Tim Horton's almost anywhere. Second Cup coffee if you really LOVE coffee. Sit at a cafe and watch the world move by you. It's all about the joie de vivre.

Of course, you miss Quebec City, the oldest city in all of North America.
Actually I believe this distinction belongs to St. John and others. I think Quebec City is the oldest city intended as a permanent settlement in North America.

This is actually a problematic claim.

St. John's, NL is definitely the first English settlement. Port Royal, NS and Tadoussac, QC are the next oldest, but only Quebec City was founded as a permanent settlement, therefore making it the oldest permanently settled city in North America. Founded in 1608, the first port was build in 1535.

I'm sure that there are many arguments about this. Suffice it to say that they also become pedantic about the size of the city, the settlement date, permanency, etc. Let's just give them all the title and let them all enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am writing on this post because there seem to be Canadians conversing who know the lay of the land. We are cruising out of Quebec City in October on the Grand Princess. Could you provide the names of Hotels close to the port?

We were considering two nights which would give us one full day and evening to be tourist in Quebec City----but then I got to wondering if the language would be a barrier to getting around???

The area where the ship arrives is Vieux Quebec, the old part of the city. You will find only small boutique (expensive) hotels and bed and breakfasts in the area. What kind of hotel are you looking for? Small? Large? Expensive? Cheap? Modern? Old?

Language shouldn't be a problem. Just be kind enough to ask them if they speak English before you launch into speaking. "Parle-tu Anglais?" (Do you speak English?) Pronounced... Parl-too Ahn-Glay?

• 1 month later...

We land at Quebec City in Oct on my husband's birthday. We are there for 2 full days so have time to poke around. Any suggestions about a good place for a birthday lunch? Someplace colorful - not too formal - with interesting food and some nice wine.

Thanks!

Archived