More questions about the 3-1-1 thing...

piratemom

I am guessing I have WAY more stuff than what will fit in a 1 qt bag...since I am traveling with DH and 2 kids...technically we EACH get a 1 qt bag right? So for us, four -1 qt bags would be okay right? Would we have to have 4 carry ons to make 4-1 qt bags okay? What if (as a family) we only have one carry on...since there are 4 ppl, is it okay to have 4 - 1 qt bags in that one carry on? I know I am probably over thinking, just don't want to get stuck at security with antsy kids. Plus I am in charge of relaying this stuff to others that are traveling with us so I just want to be sure :D

But, for going through security, the 1 quart ziplock bag could be each person's carry-on, and then you could put them all in one carry-on after security.

That being said, we've always had a carry-on for each person. Our kids liked to carry a book, a toy, a travel game, a snack, etc, so took a small backback for their own stuff.

Your purse also counts as a carryon - and you have to have the mascara, lotion, eye drops, and other liquids that you normally carry in it in the zip lock bag.

Do the kids have back packs with their games and things to keep them occupied on the plane? Are you taking a camera bag, that is also a carry on.

The zip lock bag is scanned separately, so they really don't know if it is in a suitcase. I actually put hubby's and my ziplocks in my purse (large travel purse) so that they are easy to get out when we go through the line. Most of the airports we have gone to request that you have the ziplock bag and yourselves (jackets and shoes off) ready before you get up to the screeners. Makes the lines go quicker.

From www.tsa.gov/311: (emphasis added)

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

It really doesn't say that each quart bag must be in a separate piece of carry-on luggage. I've flown with DH taking only 1 carry on and 2 quart bags. Each person puts a bag in a bin with his/her shoes, and on the other side of the screening line the bags go back in the one carry on.

Remember--this rule is only for carry-on things. It does not apply to your checked bags. You can put whatever you want in your bags (provided it is not on the TSA banned list.) I think this rule is so confusing. I have found that I really don't need to carry anything in a baggy on the plane. On our last flight (5+ hours) I had no need for anything other than my purell and toothpaste. I carry the purell with my glucose monitoring device.

My only problem is the worry that my stuff will get lost. I have learned to wrap and pack very carefully.

It makes me a little upset that I couldn't bring coffee with me for my 6 AM flight last week. There's not a lot open at the airport before 5 AM.

I also hate to have to buy water at the concessions in the airport. I haven't had any issues with snacks from home.

--Judy

okay thank you! I know I can put whatever in my checked luggage, I am just always terrified that our luggage is going to get lost and I will be on the ship w/ no makeup, no shampoo, no hairspray and no just-in-case meds:eek: OR everything will blow up:p

Trust me...that is just about my luck, lol:D

okay thank you! I know I can put whatever in my checked luggage, I am just always terrified that our luggage is going to get lost and I will be on the ship w/ no makeup, no shampoo, no hairspray and no just-in-case meds:eek: OR everything will blow up:p

Trust me...that is just about my luck, lol:D

CARRY ALL OF YOUR MEDICATIONS and valuables in your carry-ons.

Medications do not count in the baggy law. I travel with a large bag filled with all of my medications -- always in their original containers with the prescription labels.

No shampoo, no makeup, etc, believe me I feel your pain, but no meds -- don't even think about packing that stuff in your checked bags.

--Judy

What is going to bulk up my carry-on is that my meds come from mail order and are always in these honkin' big 3 month bottles! I need 10 days of blood pressure meds and assorted other pills and my carryon will be chock full of bottles meant for 270 potassium horse pills. What a waste of space.

What is going to bulk up my carry-on is that my meds come from mail order and are always in these honkin' big 3 month bottles! I need 10 days of blood pressure meds and assorted other pills and my carryon will be chock full of bottles meant for 270 potassium horse pills. What a waste of space.

We have the same problem - I take 3 and hubby takes 7 different medications. Those 10 large bottles certainly take up a lot of room. I have asked Caremark (our prescription plan) about getting a small bottle for each prescription (with the label) but they don't do it. It would be nice if these companies realized people travel and have a need - I would even be willing to pay a dollar or so for a small size bottle with a prescription label. Maybe if enough of us ask for it, the companies will finally listen.

We have the same problem - I take 3 and hubby takes 7 different medications. Those 10 large bottles certainly take up a lot of room. I have asked Caremark (our prescription plan) about getting a small bottle for each prescription (with the label) but they don't do it. It would be nice if these companies realized people travel and have a need - I would even be willing to pay a dollar or so for a small size bottle with a prescription label. Maybe if enough of us ask for it, the companies will finally listen.

The insurance companies don't care about your convenience only their bottom line.

This is what I do -- I take several medications on a daily basis. Some are in larger pharmacy bottles than others. I use a big zip lock baggie. I make a layer of the larger bottles across the bottom of the bag and then stack another layer on top of them. This keeps the bag upright and thin. The bottles are accessible and visible in case TSA needs to see what is in the bag. One warning -- make sure all of the caps are on tight! I had a little spillage (or should I say pillage;)) the other day when we flew to Las Vegas.

--Judy

If you hate paying $4 for a bottle of water before boarding & you don't mind tap water . . . do what my daughter does - bring an empty water bottle thru security & fill it from the restroom before you board. I'd hesitate to fill it from a water foundtain, I think they're a source of germs, but I thought it was a pretty cool idea!

I never understand this question maybe I'm missing something. If you put your liquid products(shampoo.lotions etc) in your checked luggage and most makeups are under 3oz. size so they can go in you purse. Then what is the issue. Drinks can then be bought after security if needed in one of the kiosks prior to departure.:confused:

Ewww, I've always thought water from the bathroom tastes a lot different than water from the tap in my kitchen, maybe it's all in my head ;) ! $4 a bottle sounds just fine to me.

I think the OP has it right, each person is allowed a one quart ziploc baggie with liquids 3.4 ounces or less. Although, I think I'd probably pack some of it into the suitcase, making sure the bottles have all the air squeezed out and double ziploc them individually.

Here's a link to the TSA 3-1-1 rule:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

I never understand this question maybe I'm missing something. If you put your liquid products(shampoo.lotions etc) in your checked luggage and most makeups are under 3oz. size so they can go in you purse. Then what is the issue. Drinks can then be bought after security if needed in one of the kiosks prior to departure.:confused:

We do carry on only so we don't have a checked bag. We have to take everything with us from all my makeup to deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, gel, sunscreen, neosporin, etc. etc. with us and that is a great challenge to the 3-1-1 rule.

We do carry on only so we don't have a checked bag. We have to take everything with us from all my makeup to deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, gel, sunscreen, neosporin, etc. etc. with us and that is a great challenge to the 3-1-1 rule.
\

WOW! How long a trip would that be for? If just for a couple of nights are you not able to take travel size items?

Okay now I'm really intrigued! You don't just take a carry on for a 24 day cruise do you??!! Or are you flying by private jet?:p

That is all we take one carry one each. We always extend our traveling in Europe and we take alot of trains and small easy jet airplanes so we have to go light.

I just read on AA's site that purses are allowed as a personal item in addition to the regular carry-on.

I am a business traveler and travel quite a lot. While this is true it is not always enforced. You can usully carry one a suitcase and a few carry bags like a camera bag, purse, etc. especially if they are small items that would all fit under the seat. I have only seen it enforced once and it was on a full Southwest flight.

As for the liquids you are allowed one ziplock bag per person per bag. If you want to have 4 bags simply put one in your kids carry on bags before you go through security. They will usually ask you to pull the bag out and put it in the bin outside of the carryon for security. As long as it is in the security screening bin with some of the children's bags, shoes, etc. they shouldn't question it. I have done this many times when traveling with DH.

Archived