Fishing and Whale Watching in Icy Strait Point

sarahruth23

When we are in Icy Strait Point this coming August, my dad and brother would like to go fishing, but my mom and I would like to go whale watching. I've seen several independent charters that do both. Do they go out to the same place to fish and whale watch? So, would we all be able to go on one boat together?

If it doesn't work, no big deal. We can take separate boats. Thank you bunches!

Sarah

I agree if you book a whale watching trip there won't be any fishing done, but if you are fishing your odds are very good at seeing whales. If there are only 4 people on board, the two will not take long to limit and then the rest of the time can be spent looking for whales. However, most independent tours run about 3 hours. I'm not sure how long the whale tours go from ISP, but the fishing on all of the tours run about 3 hours.

At Icy Strait last summer there were many times when we were trolling for salmon when the whales were either feeding right behind the boat or right in front of us, it made for a very exciting salmon fishing trip! Usually when we saw whales when we were out halibut fishing (not on the bank like fishing for salmon) they were just passing through the area and didn't stay around very long. For this area I don't think you would need to extend the trip, but then again there are days when the whales are just not in our general area, but those were only a few days.

Archived