Ventura chat

Madkitty

Have just booked a cruise on Ventura to Norway in June 2009 - this is a surprise for my mum's 80th birthday next year. First time cruise for me and my sister and we're really excited about it.

Have looked at the ship online and it looks fantastic.

Probably not theme nights? Not sure, never done 7 n cruises before... can someone else answer this? I am doing TWO 7n cruises back to back next year, one to Spain and France and the other Norway, so may not have these theme nights as well, or chocoholics buffet...another thing that is mainly on a longer cruise

Sue

Sailed on the Ventura found the ship layout to be the same as the Star princess. Even the cabins were the same layout. Only thing different is that the Ventura had a few little extras in the cabin.

Food was not as good as Princess. Also the Buffet restaurant on desk 15 was closed at about 9.00 pm and they were setting up for breakfast. I was surprised at this because I would have expected them to go all out for repeat bookings.

Probably not theme nights? Not sure, never done 7 n cruises before... can someone else answer this? I am doing TWO 7n cruises back to back next year, one to Spain and France and the other Norway, so may not have these theme nights as well, or chocoholics buffet...another thing that is mainly on a longer cruise

Sue

What's this, a chocoholics buffet! I shall sue if they don't have this!!

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about theme nights, they are only a guideline and a flowery or bright dress is fine for the ladies on Hawian night, some men do wear flowery shirts, but certainly not all - the waiters and staff all do and in warmer climes there is usually a deck party. You may also get given paper garlands

The black and white night is always a formal one and a black dress for ladies and DJ for the men suffices. Some ladies do wear white shawls or make white paper flower corsages!!!! :eek: . These are the only themes Is I have come accross and we always do 14 plus nights, we did one 7 nighter they were still the same. Not everyone bothers though and I would think on Ventura, where there are so many different dining options, it would be even less so.

The chocoholics buffet used to be fabulous, it was at midnight and was absolutely amazing, with huge dishes of buttons, smarties etc., and everything was either made of, or covered in chocolate. However, this has now changed to an afternoon - makes more sense really and is more of an afternoon tea with a chocolate theme. Mainly cakes and biscuits, a few trifles and mousse's. Usually they allow people in to walk past it and take photos, then open it up to everyone. Worth going to, especially to watch those with 'eyes bigger than their bellies', who load their plates up with everything, take one bite and leave it!! - they really should get a life!!!!

Don't worry about what you 'should' be doing, it is whatever you want, after all it is your holiday and if you want to do you own thing, do!:)

Kate

Further to my question about cabin Nos before joining the ship,there is a paragraph at the back of the P O brochure explaining the reason for not issuing cabin Nos. They do give a gaurantee that you get the type of cabin you ask for.

Further to my question about cabin Nos before joining the ship,there is a paragraph at the back of the P O brochure explaining the reason for not issuing cabin Nos. They do give a gaurantee that you get the type of cabin you ask for.

There are two options when booking

1. Book a definite cabin that you want. I have just booked for June 2009 and been given the cabin I asked for, confirmed on the P&O booking form

2. Book on a guarantee basis. In this case you will be allocated a cabin in either the grade you booked, or a better grade, but you will not know which cabin until nearer the sailing date.

Obviously you chose the latter but maybe your TA did not fully explain.

Brian

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread ---as a first time cruiser it has been very informative. Can someone confirm that there is no problem with me taking my own alcohol to drink in the cabin? I would like to bring along some port or brandy to sit on the balcony in the evening but thought it wouldn't be allowed (ie like hotels where they like you to pay for all the drinks)

Thanks

J

I can confirm there will be no problem taking alcohol to the cabin!

I will be boarding Arcadia on Monday - 5th may, with a winebox of Chardonney and a few tins of beer for hubbie in my case, if i get any problems i'll let you know after, but I'm not expecting too..... done this on past 4 cruises in 07 and 06.

Sue

May be you got your cruise at a discounted price because its not confirmed?

Hi,

I have just booked a cruise for 2009 and have booked a cabin on guarantee allocation and thought I would add acouple of things.

I will get my allocation at some point between now and arriving at Southampton to board ths ship - if I do not get my allocation until boarding the P&O will ensure that my luggage labels are such that my cases will still find their way to my cabin.

If I am lucky I will get my cabin number early and it will show up on my cruise personaliser for the cruise.

At least with the grade I have booked they are only on one deck so if I get that grade I know I will be on A deck - if I am on any other deck then I will know I have been upgraded.

Finally I have paid exactly the same fare as if I had booked a cabin of my choice within the cabin grade.

Feebee_71 :)

Archived