Tipping in the spa

TJR3646

First time cruiser here and the DW is considering visiting the spa and we are wondering how much does everyone tip usually for spa treatments? She is considering nails, massage or facial. I've tried searching but can not find anything. Thanks in advance for your help.

First time cruiser here and the DW is considering visiting the spa and we are wondering how much does everyone tip usually for spa treatments? She is considering nails, massage or facial. I've tried searching but can not find anything. Thanks in advance for your help.

I am first time too!! :)

But, I am figuring 20 bucks for the spa tip. My treatment is $119.00 ( approx 17 percent)

I tip, but never more then 15% , I hate the product hard sell, and frankly the services are so overpriced that tipping based on price % is not fair.

I think tip should be based on time , if they spend 30 minutes with me I would tip differently then if they spent an hour, regardless of price.

You might want to check your bill because most of the spas on cruises already charge between 15 - 20% gratuity automatically. when i was on a cruise in december, we were charged automatically and we also tipped on top of this. they actually got about 40 dollars in all after all the tipping was done. so beware if you don't want to tip that much. i personally believe that 40 dollars is a bit excessive but we didn't notice it until it was too late. i get massages ALL the time in vegas and tip 20 bucks for a 50 minute massage.

double check your receipt that you sign to your room that an "auto tip" is not already added. if it is, i would leave it at that. honestly, how much do they really deserve? i think 15 - 20 bucks for a tip is very good.

but remember, enjoy your time at the spa! and if you fall asleep on the table, who cares! lol

annie

You might want to check your bill because most of the spas on cruises already charge between 15 - 20% gratuity automatically. when i was on a cruise in december, we were charged automatically and we also tipped on top of this. they actually got about 40 dollars in all after all the tipping was done. so beware if you don't want to tip that much. i personally believe that 40 dollars is a bit excessive but we didn't notice it until it was too late. i get massages ALL the time in vegas and tip 20 bucks for a 50 minute massage.

double check your receipt that you sign to your room that an "auto tip" is not already added. if it is, i would leave it at that. honestly, how much do they really deserve? i think 15 - 20 bucks for a tip is very good.

but remember, enjoy your time at the spa! and if you fall asleep on the table, who cares! lol

annie

Thanks for that info. I only check for auto tips on Grand Bahama island as they are included for all restaurants spas and the like. I will check before I tip.

I held off booking a treatment (Star Princess) until a dock day. Spa staff were given out leaflets upon our embarkation which worked out consierably cheaper than booking up front. However, be careful when I phoned to book the treatment per the leaflet they argued the price, even after I explained I had the leaflet their staff were handing out. In the end had to produce it to their manager. If you have a leaflet/voucher make sure they honour the price! There is still a hard sell in the spa. I am a thereapist myself and explained to the young lady this was the case, so not to have the usual sell, but she tried, oh how did she try!! However, a gratuity was left for the masseuse as she was clearly disappointed her hard sell did not work. Enjoy the experience - I had a 20 - 20 - 20 treatment (3 different treatments which cost approx 80 dollars in total).

I just had a spa treatment on the Grand....as my 15 yr old daughter had the "Teen Massage". Her message was $59 and I left a $10 tip. My treatment was $139 and I left her a $25 tip. We both had wonderful experiences....the staff was very friendly and joked around with us, made us feel very welcomed and there was no hard selling. They offered, we declined. That was it. I enjoy tipping, I remember when I was a waitress and when I was acknowledged for good service, it really made my day. So I like to pass that along. But that is just me. :)

Archived