Informal on Formal Night

Hi, all!

DH and I are on Explorer in just a few short weeks! Yay!

Here is a weird question. We both dress up a lot for work, and were actually thinking that we would like to be "carry-on-only" for our upcoming 5-nighter. This means not bringing along any formalwear. Now, we wouldn't dream of going to the dining room on formal night in less-than-formal-night clothing because it really wrecks the tradition for others. But as mentioned earlier, we do have a lot of occassions to dress up, so would be happy to skip the pageantry this time around.

To that end, what would all of you suggest? Eat dinner in the Windjammer? Romantic balcony dinner (on the tiny table)? Could we go into Portofino's in resort-casual wear on formal night? Something else?

Like I said, we don't want to rain on anyone's parade (we also hate to see others wear shorts or jeans in the dining room!), but this time around we're thinking of packing light. Also, will a 5-night cruise have more than one formal night?

Thanks in advance, and happy sailing!

Kristin

My vote would be dinner in the Windjammer. It is so peaceful in there during dinner time.

If you have a standard balcony, the table is REALLY small (I've never had a bigger balcony, so don't know if the tables are any bigger). It was even a little tricky to maneuver the cheese and fruit platter with the small table.

The last night of the cruise, we ordered a full meal through room service and used the coffee table in the room. Even that wasn't the most comfortable because the table was so low. In theory, a quiet meal in the room/balcony should be romantic, but it's just a little too inconvenient. I think Windjammer is the way to go for a totally relaxed atmosphere. That being said, I've never tried Portofino, so I can't comment there.

I vote for going to the dining room. I can almost assure you that you will not be the only people not dressed up!!! You are obviously considerate of others but this is your cruise too....when I did dress up and saw others that weren't, it didn't ruin my experience. Go and enjoy....it is your vacation as well.

DH and I also have pleanty of opps to play dressup in our day-to-day lives and thus have NO desire to do formal night. Many of the ships ratchet up the service in Windjammer on formal night to accommodate those of use who choose not to participate. On our last Voyager cruise, they had the back section set aside with lights turned low, linen table clothes, and table service for the main course. It was nice without being stuffy.

On other trips we have done Skyview el'fresco or Portofinos. You'll find on ships with Johnny Rockets, that the JR will be off limits for a few hours on formal night for the kids club. Just plan around it.

Personally, I am lobbying for a process where they reserve part of the dining room to the "formal" crowd and the remainder to the "we prefer not to participate" crowd. Seating would be done similar to breakfast and lunch seating. More hastle for the crew (and issues with not having your regular wait staff) - but less wailing and gnashing of teeth by those pax in either camp!

I'd love to hear more opinions on this.....we're traveling on Mariner at the end of May in a party of 16....4 of us are "please don't make me dress up" and hope to book Portofino's & Chops for the formal evenings. We were hoping dockers/polo type shirt (no jacket) and pants suit or skirt for the ladies would be fine for those venues...are we mistaken or should we just pack all the formal stuff??

6 of us were on The Explorer 3/11-3/18. We ended up at Portofinos on one of the formal nights (not by design..it was the only time available) and did not dress up. My son and his friend both wore khakis and oxford shirts, my husband wore a nice pair of slacks and a shirt (no jacket) and my daughter, her friend and I all wore sundresses. Whatever you read about dress during the cruise is "suggested". As long as you are not wearing a "muscle shirt" and dirty jeans, I don't think anyone would find you offensive. (We actually have witnessed that type of dress on more than one occasion. in the dining room.) If they do find you offensive, too bad. Many people still have to dress up for work and the last thing they want to do is dress up for vacation!!! You are going on a cruise to enjoy yourself...ENJOY!!

Our waiter on the Monarch last weekend, told us to come to formal night even if we didn't bring formal clothes. We did have semi formal clothes, but we saw alot of people dressed casual. Also I think alot of people change out of their formal clothes right after dinner or formal portraits, so you will see everything on formal night.

I'm not completely on board with the "it's your cruise, do what you want" mentality because it probably would bother me if somebody showed up without bathing.:eek: But if you're at a "good" table, you'd probably upset more people by not showing up than you would by showing up underdressed.

We've had tablemates show up in everything from tuxes to khakis on formal night. We were on the same cruise as JJ2Sail, and some of our tablemates were going to skip formal night because they hadn't brought their fancy duds. We talked them out of that idea - it would have greatly diminished our fun if they hadn't been there.

My husband and I dress up 5 days a week for work. We consider our caribbean cruise to be a vacation from the 51 weeks of the year that we are suited up. Therefore, we will go on our 7 day cruise and we will eat at both formal nights in the dining room at our assigned table, and we will be smart casual. I'll have a dress and strappy sandals, and my husband will be wearing a short-sleeved shirt with a collar and trousers. I have talked him into wearing socks. I don't think anyone will choke on their soup at our table because of what we plan to wear. It's a vacation. It's the caribbean. It will be hot. Wear what you like and what makes you comfortable.

critterchick,

Please don't misunderstand me....obviously, it has to be within reason. But as you know, there are many more things that we can find offensive on a ship other than how people are dressed (e.g, rudeness, cutting in lines, saving deck chairs, obnoxious drunks, etc, etc, etc)

critterchick,

Please don't misunderstand me....obviously, it has to be within reason. But as you know, there are many more things that we can find offensive on a ship other than how people are dressed (e.g, rudeness, cutting in lines, saving deck chairs, obnoxious drunks, etc, etc, etc)

Obnoxious drunks?:o :o

Another vote for the Windjammer. We ate there once in February because we just didn't feel like going to the dining room, and decided that night to eat there a lot more next year. It was very nice, and the food was wonderful.

We'll be doing Windjammer or Chops on formal night next year for sure.

We've been on almost a dozen cruises, and on one (Enchantment of the Seas) we decided to go casual. We ate in the Windjammer most nights, and it was very pleasant and quiet. One night we ate in our room -- it was ok, but nothing special (like having room service in a hotel). Our dinners at Windjammer were fun, and one of the staff started watching out for us just as if we were in the dining room, bringing us our favorite drinks and some special treats. The food was good, although we missed out on some of the dining room specials during the week. I wouldn't hesitate to spend another week dining in the Windjammer. We did mention to the Maitre De at the beginning of the week that we did not plan on dining in the dining room (although we were putting full tips on the sign and sail card), so that he could put someone else at our table if he needed to make changes.

All of our tablemates on our cruises on the explorer were all dressed formal. We did see many others not formal but at least not in jeans and so forth. Most of the guys at least had a tie on with their shirt, that were in our area. Don't miss out on your dinner experience in the dining room. Let your mates know you didn't bring the tux and gown this trip but you will see them anyway! Enjoy your cruise. We love the Explorer!!! Say hi to Lucito in the dining room from us!!!

The formal night for our 5-day cruise was the second night, so if you are going to make reservations in a specialty restaurant (which I highly suggest) do it right when you board.

The dress in Chops was all across the board, from suits to jeans, enjoy yourself :D

###

On formal night saw a man who only changed his hat (which he kept on the entire meal). His "casual" was a camouflage and his "formal" was white....I could have cared less what he had on. Each person gets what they want out of the experience. Who am I to say what they should or shouldn't wear.

We typically eat in Portofino or Chops on formal nights. We have eaten in the Windjammer on formal nights, too, and enjoyed that. It was peaceful and quiet, not at all crowded.

If you are wearing really casual clothing, I do suggest the Windjammer over the premium restaurants. Also try to avoid the Centrum area where lots of folks are lined up for photographs in formal clothing.

I vote for going to the dining room. I can almost assure you that you will not be the only people not dressed up!!! You are obviously considerate of others but this is your cruise too....when I did dress up and saw others that weren't, it didn't ruin my experience. Go and enjoy....it is your vacation as well.

I agree, you'll see everything on formal night from casual, smart casual to formal and they welcome everyone in the dining room. If RCCL didn't want casual in the dining room on formal night they would deny people from entering. They don't. :o I personally could care less what anyone else is wearing as I'm there to enjoy the conversation at my table and my meal. Best thing is for people to see what its really like themselves when they are onboard the ship.:)

I'd love to hear more opinions on this.....we're traveling on Mariner at the end of May in a party of 16....4 of us are "please don't make me dress up" and hope to book Portofino's & Chops for the formal evenings. We were hoping dockers/polo type shirt (no jacket) and pants suit or skirt for the ladies would be fine for those venues...are we mistaken or should we just pack all the formal stuff??

You will be fine with what you are bringing. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Archived