Pre Cruise Montreal ?

We are starting our 12 day cruise in Montreal in Oct. and would appreciate some suggestions:

Should we get canadian $$ or use US $$?

What's the customs "experience" like at the airport?

How far is the airport from the cruise terminal?

We won't have a car - so any recomendations for a hotel and places to eat?

Finally - any "don't miss" things to do?

Thanx in advance - we can always count on Cruise Critic for great ideas!

We are starting our 12 day cruise in Montreal in Oct. and would appreciate some suggestions:

Should we get canadian $$ or use US $$?

Get CAD, we don't use USD and if you do use it, we will give you a horrible exchange rate. For most Canadians, USD is a royal pain. You have to take it to the bank, they charge companies to deposit it or to convert it. If the exchange rate is a 16% premium, I would be surprised if you got anything over 10% and I wouldn't be surprised if many places just took it at par. (Think of what it would be like to pay with everything in CAD in the US... that's what it's like for us with USD.)

What's the customs "experience" like at the airport?

You fill in one form per family. Stand in line. See the Customs Canada Agent. He stamps your form and hands it back to you. You pick up your luggage and walk out. Don't bring any open food items, the likely will have the dog out sniffing for food. (Packaged closed food is acceptable, but not open or personally cooked food.) Last time I was at the airport, the carts were still free.

How far is the airport from the cruise terminal?

FAR by Montreal standards. The airport is in the suburb of Dorval and about a $25 tax drive to the cruise port which is in Old Montreal

We won't have a car - so any recomendations for a hotel and places to eat?

Other than a lovely B&B in the Village called the Gingerbread House with a nice hosts :D (but it's shared bathroom and European style, so it's not everyone's cup of tea) .... there are plenty of hotels. I have listed many of them in the other Montreal thread. See this post

Finally - any "don't miss" things to do?

Plenty, but the most important is to see Old Montreal (don't call it Old Town.... we hate that!) and to eat in Montreal. See this post and this post. Ask if you have more questions. I've only been here from birth.

Thank you Ephraim - Just the info I was looking for !

Especially the Customs answer. My wife doesn't like flying to other countries these days - we had a bad experience in Bermuda and London.

Thank you Ephraim - Just the info I was looking for !

Especially the Customs answer. My wife doesn't like flying to other countries these days - we had a bad experience in Bermuda and London.

Canada Customs is pretty harmless. When you get off the plane you walk to the new customs and baggage area, go through the lines to a customs agent and he will usually stamp your form and right a code at the top with his number. That usually determines if they will stop you or not on your way out to check if you have exceeded your declarations. Honestly, they stop very few people, there just isn't that much out there to buy that's cheaper than in Canada. And the biggest thing they are looking for are people exceeding their cigarette or alcohol allotments. In particular cigarettes, which still need to be stamped saying that Canada duty was paid.

The form was changed many years ago to reflect Canadian realities. Less then 50% of Canadians bother getting married and even if they do, the wife either can't legally use her husband's name (Quebec) or she doesn't want to as well as same-sex couples as well where the family names are different. So the rule is that it's one form per household and there is space for everyone's last name. They will give you the forms on the airplane, so keep a pen handy.

Canada is very civilized and sometimes formal country. The only sign of anything unusual in the customs area is the food sniffing dog. I think he's a little beagle. He goes by all the luggage to check for food.

Just remember that Montreal is about joie de vivre... the joy of living. Good food, reasonable prices, good clothing, etc.

On a Sunday or Saturday for brunch you will see Montrealer's quietly line up in Chinatown for dim sum. You will see them sitting in a cafe in the afternoon and shopping downtown. You will likely see more cafes than you have ever seen before (and hardly any of them say Starbucks). Montrealer's like their coffee strong (and often a dark roast).

Montreal food favorites include things like Smoked Meat, Rotisserie Chicken, Poutine (Fries with cheese curds and gravy), Bagels. But even when it comes to something as simple as a hot dog, many Montrealers can tell you who carries the best hot dog in Montreal.... we really are about the food. And don't even star Montrealers on the arguments of which bagel is best (St-Viateur or Fairmount) or the best chicken (St-Hubert or Scores) or you will be having a 3 hour discussion with no clear winner.

Try to AVOID International fast-food restaurants and the places that you know from the US. You are here to try our lifestyle and our food. So strike out the McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's.

Thanx - again for the info. We never eat fast foods or in any of the "chains" that are in the US in any country we visit.

We do our best to seek out locals like you and absorb as much of the culture and lifestyle as we can. We are really looking forward to seeing Montreal.

Archived