SNUBA- you must do it! best time i ever had!!!!!

green27

Snuba diving- half scuba diving, half snorkeling.

at the surface, there is a float with your tank attatched to it. There is a hose connected to your mouthpiece and the tank that goes about 20-30 feet. You get to go under as if you were scuba diving! instead of looking at the fish while snorkeling like i used to do,. i key west i signed up to do the snuba excursion and after they taught us about it for 20 mins on the boat ride out to the 3rd largest reef in the world, i swam inbetween the coral and saw soo many fish!

YOU HAVE TO TRY IT! I GUARANTEE YOU WILL LIKE IT!

i recruited my mom, brtoher, friend, moms boyfriend and brothers friend to all do it on the upcomming cruise while it st. thomas.!:D:D:D:D

I have to agree with this post. I was in Kauai and tried Snuba at Poipu beach and loved it. The only problem I had was I was unable to go farther than 12 feet under the surface, I couldn't get my ears to acclamate and I was uncomfortable if I tried to decend any further. Fortunately, there was plenty to see at that level and I had a blast regardless. I always wish I had done Snuba in Haunama Bay Park, Oahu near Honolulu, I really enjoyed snorkeling there much more than in Kauai. I do recall that there was a period of time (24 hours???) that you should wait if you were planning on doing Snuba and you have been flying or planning on flying because of altitude adjustments and your body needing to decompress before participating in such an activity. Be sure to ask so that you can plan accordingly and stay safe!

bruce r- i want to get certified so badly! i just dont have the time and i live in new york were the waters cold and nothing good to look at. So hopefully i will get the chance one day when i am on vacation somewere down south.

I second bruce r's reccomendation. You can sign up with a PADI shop in your area do the classes and pool work at their facility (mmost good shops have their own pool) and do your certification dive in warm water with a quick trip to Florida.

We live in Arizona and did everything here except for our cert. dive. We went to Cozumel for a week and took a couple of days to get that done. The scuba shop took us on a short dive eacj time before we did our skills. Next thing you know we were certified and haven't looked back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad that you have good things to say about Snuba! My husband and I are going to try to Snuba, and we booked the excursion in Cozumel, but he has suddenly gotten a fear of the tank not holding oxygen and an air embolism (which I am a nurse so I explained that room air is not 100% O2 anyway and how if it were 100% O2 I wouldn't go).

I know that there is a risk of embolism, and that's it's not too common. But, with what he's read, he's convinced it is not safe and that they don't give you enough training beforehand. Any other tips to "convince" him? (we've already paid for it, so he's going, one way or another).

I know that there is a risk of embolism, and that's it's not too common.
I'd say it is very uncommon, which is much frequently than "not too common". Just like in scuba, the number one rule is: Never Hold Your Breath.

But, with what he's read, he's convinced it is not safe and that they don't give you enough training beforehand. Any other tips to "convince" him? (we've already paid for it, so he's going, one way or another).
Really, if snuba (and by extension) were not safe, it would be sued into oblivion.

As to running out of gas, that is unlikely and would be a minor issue because of the depth restriction giving by the necessity of being connected to the tank floating on the surface with a hose. I don't think you can go deeper that 20 feet and it would be really easy to swim to the surface from depth, slowly breathing

out as you ascend.

I'd say it is very uncommon, which is much frequently than "not too common". Just like in scuba, the number one rule is: Never Hold Your Breath.

I was all psyched to do this last summer, and I think this was the main thing that freaked me out, because I know I tend to have this weird unconscious habit of holding my breath for seconds at a time when I'm focusing on something. Maybe it's a stress thing that won't show up when I'm on vacation anyway -- I have to work on becoming more aware of the habit and maybe we'll actually do the snuba this year.

:o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,I booked a family shore excursion for my 10 and 13 yr old for this summer's cruise in Bermuda. Should I assume it is safe for them at that age? I thougth it would not be a deep dive (max 15 ft, I am guessing), so assumed it would be safe for kids. Any thougths from the experienced divers out there?

lumpkin-

I'm not an expierenced diver but i can tell you that your kids will love it! i'm 15 and i loved it. It was definitly one of the best shore excursions i have done. I thought it was extremely safe, i didn't go with a parent, i went with my friend and her older brother and another couple from our ship. I was kind of nervous because there wasn't a parent there, but the guide was very good. At first i wasn't used to the breathing part, so i went back up to the surface and he followed me up and helped me. Hope you enjoy.

Hi,I booked a family shore excursion for my 10 and 13 yr old for this summer's cruise in Bermuda. Should I assume it is safe for them at that age? I thougth it would not be a deep dive (max 15 ft, I am guessing), so assumed it would be safe for kids. Any thougths from the experienced divers out there?

My kids did snuba in Hawaii 3 years ago. They were 9 and 13 and had no problems. I felt it was safe enough to let them do it.

Thanks for your votes of confidence on Snuba for kids. I have decided to book 2 ports with snuba tours for all of us, on my August crown princess ship trip, since Bermuda often gets missed due to bad weather.

Archived